Diggy takes aim at Pistol PC

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Diggy takes aim at Pistol PC

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100809/j ... 789361.jsp
Diggy takes aim at Pistol PC - Rights group lobbies against tighter arms rules
SANJAY K. JHA
New Delhi, Aug. 8:

For the first time, Parliament could witness a battle over an issue usually associated with US politics: gun control.

The home ministry’s plan to amend the Arms Act, making gun licences harder to obtain for ordinary citizens, is poised to face strong opposition in the House.

The National Association for Gun Rights in India (Nagri) is mobilising support among MPs with the backing of its chief patron, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh.

Nagri president Rahoul Roy told The Telegraph the MPs would resist the Arms Act (Amendment) Bill, 2010, whenever it was introduced in Parliament.

Sources said Digvijay had promised to take the matter up with the Prime Minister.

Roy said: “We have received support from women MPs and elderly politicians who are the worst victims of criminals in Delhi and elsewhere. They understand the need for guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens for self-protection.”

The clause that has angered Nagri the most is the stress on threat perception.

Nagri says the bill would ensure that only the government and criminals possessed guns. It argues that ordinary citizens cannot prove they face threats to their lives though they are the main victims of criminals in a country that has one of the world’s lowest police-population ratios.

Many people who had lost loved ones in the 26/11 attack had said they would procure gun licences. Roy said: “One can only speculate how things may have turned out on 26/11 in Mumbai if even 20 per cent of the victims had been armed and been able to protect themselves.”

Sources said if the UPA stood firm on the bill, it could lose votes in next year’s Punjab elections. Possessing a gun is virtually a status symbol in parts of Punjab, Haryana and western Uttar Pradesh, where these firearms are often bought from the black market and held without a licence.

The craze is so big that four years ago, the Lakhimpur Kheri district administration in Uttar Pradesh had successfully boosted its male sterilisation drive with the incentive of a gun licence before the scheme was felled by controversy.

Digvijay’s stand may intensify his duel with P. Chidambaram, whom he had recently dubbed “intellectually arrogant” while opposing the home minister’s approach to the Maoist threat.

The home ministry has already suffered an embarrassment at the hand of Congress leaders, being forced to drop the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2010, after listing it for introduction in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

The bill would have prevented Indian relatives of those who had migrated to Pakistan at the time of Partition from reclaiming ancestral assets that had been seized as “enemy property”.

The bill was scuttled by Muslim leaders, led by minority affairs minister Salman Khursheed, who apparently had a bitter tiff with Chidambaram. Khursheed took the matter to Manmohan Singh, who asked the home minister to let the ordinance on the subject lapse.

Khursheed was backed by senior UPA Muslim leaders such as Farooq Abdullah, Mohsina Kidwai and K. Rehman Khan. Sultan Ahmed (Trinamul Congress) and E. Ahamed (Muslim League) too met the Prime Minister.

The bill’s critics felt it would hurt many families in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Assam and Maharashtra. The worst sufferer would have been Mohammad Amir Mohammad Khan, who got the property of his ancestor, the Raja of Mehmoodabad, restored to him through a Supreme Court order. There are over 2,000 such “enemy properties” across India.

Congress leaders took the matter up primarily because of Khan, a party member who had contested an election from Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh on a Congress ticket. His property runs into thousands of crores.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100809/j ... 789361.jsp
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Diggy takes aim at Pistol PC

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Bravo Digvijay Singh and NAGRI,

Hope we see a debate in parliament, Any idea when is this bill going to presented?

PS: Not only in Punjab, Haryana they going to loose two votes in karnataka also :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Frosty
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Alas, we will miss him certainly :cry: :cry:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Frosty wrote:Alas, we will miss him certainly :cry: :cry:

Miss who? I think you are confusing Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh with NRAI president Late.Digvijay singh.

Both are two different persons and in above article Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh is mentioned.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 pm

kanwar76 wrote:
Frosty wrote:Alas, we will miss him certainly :cry: :cry:

Miss who? I think you are confusing Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh with NRAI president Late.Digvijay singh.

Both are two different persons and in above article Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh is mentioned.

-Inder

Must say I was confused too...

But BRAVO! Lets hope we see some SANE laws.. unlike permitting import of .177 air rifles but not the pellets! I have started to agree with the Digvijays's assessment of Chidambaram. Whatever he has gotten involved with has only turned to be downright MESSY for the common man!
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:39 pm

At last some good news! kanwar76,Thanks for clearing up the confusion :D
Anand

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Telegraph India: Your stocks just went up in my books. :)

Digvijay Singh: I do hope you do what The Telegraph has said you'd do.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:02 pm

I echo M24's sentiments re The Telepgraph,the writer and the editor.Not often do you see such an uncluttered and clear presentation of a contentious issue such as gun rights.Bravo.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Very encouraging News Item indeed. Sanjay Jha should be congratulated for keeping true journalism alive in these times of media house circuses.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:16 pm

the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2010,
Are they not seeing too many enemies? Paranoia perhaps

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Very good!!!, a big KISS to NAGRI and Digvijay Singh!!! :cheering:
Guys please support NAGRI to the fullest.....................we are bound to see results!!!
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 am

What a confusing news clustered gun rights and enemy property law ...what the heck.. I hate to OT but honestly Guns dont equate to million dollars worth of assets ( which many powerful folks have vested interest in) but a right of common citizen which nobody cares for ...still some news space was given to NAGRI.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:07 pm

any way got it in hard copy on monday , while munching peanuts at guwathi sta, made a happy read.

well done keep it going. also try the nagaland post and the morung express both on line.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm

:cheers:

Good Man
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Good Man » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi I want to buy steyr lp 10 air pistol ,I am a member of NRAI ,is it possible to import dutyfree