Gun Rights in New Jersey

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Gun Rights in New Jersey

Post by miroflex » Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Gun rights in New Jersey are involved in this case.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... s-n2589548
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Gun Rights in New Jersey

Post by timmy » Thu May 20, 2021 1:00 pm

I lived in New Jersey twice, each time for about three years. It is a beautiful state with 'way too many people and 'way too high a cost of living. It is also the place most unfriendly to guns in my experience. (I haven't lived in Massachusetts or Washington DC, which are bad, and I know Chicago is pretty bad.)

New Jersey is an "urban state." Every square inch of it is incorporated into a municipality or city. Each legal entity from the largest city to the most two-bit municipality has its own government and police force, which they all cling to stubbornly. All efforts in the state legislature to consolidate governments have been unsuccessful. This means that there are lots of cops, and an eagerness to "enforce the law" <AHEM> which doesn't bode well for gun owners. For instance, at least at one time, hollow point ammunition was only allowed "for sporting purposes." If one was stopped with a 9mm having hollow point ammunition, there was trouble!

I knew of a State Trooper lieutenant. Even he had to register his service weapon with the local police -- EVERYONE must -- and nobody is exempt.

Various guns were "grandfathered" by a bill that got police support by letting old cops keep guns that are now out of reach for others.

One must have a firearms purchase license to buy a gun or even to put one in the trunk of your car unloaded in a locked case to take it to the range to shoot. I refused to play this game on both occasions nd left my handguns behind when I moved there.

The general attitude is VERY gun-unfriendly, and can be typified by a comment I read in a newspaper: a person was being interviewed and shooting was going on at a nearby trap club range. The person commented that "the criminals" were practicing next door. The mentality of people who think someone buys a very expensive long barreled single shot shotgun for criminal purposes is exposed here, and pretty much says it all about New Jersey with regard to guns.

We lived near The Shore the last time. The Shore is beautiful, the state is beautiful, and the people in Central Jersey were pretty nice folks. I knew and talked to people who saw a lot of famous music acts in Asbury Park years back; a story about one fellow meeting Jack Bruce sticks in my mind.

We used to go down to Wildwood, near Cape May, on Thanksgiving and stay at a ritzy hotel at their cut rate prices for the off season. Eating at The Lobster House and long walks on the beach were great fun and cherished memories.

I worked at a very historic location that was the most special place I've ever worked. I saw plenty of deer (New Jersey is lousy with scrawny deer - no predators and an anti-hunting attitude), lots of wild turkey, and an occasional coyote.

The pizza I had in Brick along Mantoloking Road is still the best I've ever had!

For a gun lover, it's a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there! I don't see how those deep-set attitudes about guns can be changed there anytime soon.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri May 21, 2021 6:33 am

A fascinating pen picture and an accurate one too. I have many friend and acquaintances living in New Jersey and I can well imagine the situation there.

By the way, did you get my email?

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:31 pm

miroflex wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:33 am
By the way, did you get my email?
I'm afraid not. I will send you one today

Harry S. Truman

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat May 22, 2021 10:17 am

I thought as much since I was looking forward toe your reply. I'll resend it to both the addresses.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat May 22, 2021 2:20 pm

miroflex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Gun rights in New Jersey are involved in this case.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... s-n2589548
How strong the case is? All the Gun Lobby must have eyes on this case.

Regards

rkittine
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rkittine » Sat May 22, 2021 8:33 pm

If you want a concealed carry permit in New Jersey, it is almost impossible to get. If you want to own a hand gun or a long arm, yes you have to do things similar to Illinois, get a Firearms ID Card etc. But you can own them and you can go to the range and shoot them. With my New York Pistol Permit, I can actually take a hand gun to New Jersey to shoot at a range, though I can not carry it once I leave New York.

Bob

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun May 23, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences Timmy including your stories from New Jersey. I wonder if you ever dug into why the place is called ‘New’ Jersey.

Europe/UK has a pretty similar attitude to firearms too. Even the targets are being ‘dehumanised’. I can no longer call a shot a ‘head shot’ or zero my pistol with a ‘neck hold’.

A real shame considering the continent’s extraordinary contribution to firearms design and development.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 23, 2021 8:09 am

AgentDoubleS wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:20 am
Thanks for sharing your experiences Timmy including your stories from New Jersey. I wonder if you ever dug into why the place is called ‘New’ Jersey.

Europe/UK has a pretty similar attitude to firearms too. Even the targets are being ‘dehumanised’. I can no longer call a shot a ‘head shot’ or zero my pistol with a ‘neck hold’.

A real shame considering the continent’s extraordinary contribution to firearms design and development.
Yes, it is a real shame. I feel as if the remaining gun companies, like Henry and Savage, should move to Western states, where their products are appreciated and the tax base would be also. However, it's not likely to happen: Savage, especially, has walked a financial tightrope for years. This is sad and just wrong, considering it is one of the most accurate production rifles, especially considering the reasonable price tag they bear.

A lot of the Eastern Seaboard states have names derived from the English: New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia come to mind. The Western states, by contrast, have many Spanish names (as does Florida!), and there are many Native American names for states, too. Spanish and Native American names are often dismissed in the USA when the facts are brought up, but I felt it was always instructive to point out that Spanish New Mexico was founded before Plymouth Rock or Jamestown. Or, that Acoma Pueblo is the oldest continually inhabited dwelling in North America).It wasn't a way to win friends or influence people when I pointed these things out, but at least people avoided their arrogant insistence that only one culture mattered after I pointed these and other facts out. (I also had a lot of fun showing jackalope pictures and other Western jokes to them -- for all of their sophistication and culture, such as it was, many did not know they were being "had")

I envy India, which has its own place names, and not those derived from colonial masters, along with the wonderful National Anthem. The USA's national anthem, in case you did not know, is a song about a battle in an obscure war that ended in a draw, written by a slave owner, and sung to the tune from an English drinking society. This is shameful, I think! You've got a plethora of cultures which have much to teach and appreciate there!

Yes, the UK's gun laws are pretty bad. They are also old, especially when one considers Scottish history. But then, there's no shortage of people who support gun laws with the rationale that we must only allow the "right people" to have access to them, is there?

Regarding the rest of Europe, Finland stands out as a reasonable place, but it's a fairly new nation with a history that proves the usefulness of an armed population in the face of tyranny and dictatorship. Isn't it hypocritical that nations which blubber on about democracy and the power of the people don't even trust their own citizens to own arms?

From a personal perspective on this curious situation, I look at Polish history as instructive: Marshall Piłsudski, the founder of Modern Poland (Think of Gandhi, Washington, William Tell, etc.) started sportsman's rifle clubs in Galicia, the province of Austria Hungary that ruled "their" part of Partitioned Poland. (The Austrians were quite happy to have access to Polish cannon fodder when fighting the Tsarists, just like the British were at Monte Cassino and the Falaise Gap in WW2) These clubs were the foundation of the Modern Polish army -- which, in a few years, whipped the Bolsheviks at the Battle of the Wisła. This is but one example of many that can be supposed to have instructed nations running empires to look down on personal gun ownership, don't you think?

Harry S. Truman