Firearms and ammunition purchases tracked

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Firearms and ammunition purchases tracked

Post by timmy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:39 am

Credit cards now will have a merchant code specifically oriented to guns.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/credit-car ... ant-codes/

The key issue here is this:
The International Standards Organization, which sets rules across the financial services industry, agreed to create a new merchant category code for gun and ammunition retailers at a meeting this week
This has long been an issue of mine -- since the 1990s, when I forcefully spoke out at an industry meeting against governmental data collection that I was (and still am) convinced was illegal. Everyone at the meeting stared at me as if I had just landed from Mars. What many ignore is that governmental bodies don't need to keep large data bases containing personal and private information of their customers. Instead, all they need to do is tap into the data bases of businesses, which in combination, can tell most everything about an individual nowadays.

My suggestion would be for all to pay cash for every gun, ammunition, and gun-related purchase. Even this is not a foolproof way of ensuring that one's name is not contained in some list used for nefarious purposes.

While we are active on the legal front to ensure our rights, measures are being taken behind the scenes to advance efforts against those rights.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Firearms and ammunition purchases tracked

Post by revolver » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:55 am

timmy wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:39 am

The International Standards Organization, which sets rules across the financial services industry, agreed to create a new merchant category code for gun and ammunition retailers at a meeting this week
This has long been an issue of mine -- since the 1990s, when I forcefully spoke out at an industry meeting against governmental data collection that I was (and still am) convinced was illegal. Everyone at the meeting stared at me as if I had just landed from Mars. What many ignore is that governmental bodies don't need to keep large data bases containing personal and private information of their customers. Instead, all they need to do is tap into the data bases of businesses, which in combination, can tell most everything about an individual nowadays.

My suggestion would be for all to pay cash for every gun, ammunition, and gun-related purchase. Even this is not a foolproof way of ensuring that one's name is not contained in some list used for nefarious purposes.

While we are active on the legal front to ensure our rights, measures are being taken behind the scenes to advance efforts against those rights.
Unfortunately in India we don’t have an option of paying in cash only as our pancard and other documents are sought by the dealer during a sale.

India has National Database of Arms Licenses (NDAL) where every licence holder by law is required to enter his weapon details along with the Unique Identification Number of the license issued to him. This database is entire controlled by the Govt.
[/quote]

ritamrudra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Firearms and ammunition purchases tracked

Post by ritamrudra » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:52 pm

revolver wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:55 am
timmy wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:39 am

Unfortunately in India we don’t have an option of paying in cash only as our pancard and other documents are sought by the dealer during a sale.

India has National Database of Arms Licenses (NDAL) where every licence holder by law is required to enter his weapon details along with the Unique Identification Number of the license issued to him. This database is entire controlled by the Govt.
[/quote]

Very True. the basic rules say that one cannot pay a total of more than Rs. 2L in cash as per Govt. rules post November, 2016. Guns, especially from dealers, are most certainly likely to cost more than that amount.

Secondly, people are bound to produce PAN Card on payment of Rs. 50,000/- and above in cash.

Cheques I think are better option for such payments.

Thanks and regards,
Ritam.