KSRA Membership_Experience

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

KSRA Membership_Experience

Post by reynoldmaben » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Friends,

Finally looks like my KSRA membership is through after 2 months of waiting (took me two months because of a small confusion police dept had), checked with KSRA office today and they said that they have recd my verification related docs from Police Commissioner's office and have asked me to visit them on Saturday to pay the fee of INR 2500/-. Would like to thank Prabhat for all his support and assistance throughout the entire process. He was kind enough and had a lot of patience to answer all my queries.

Like to share my experience so that it might help new joiners. I visited Mr. Krishna on the 28th of June at the KSRA JP Nagar office after fixing a prior appointment. Mr. Krishan agreed to meet me on a Monday as a special case since he was not available the previous Saturday. He was very prompt and very quickly issued a letter to The Commissioner of Police for verification an an Application form(which you will have to retain with you) and briefed me as to what needs to be done in a very detailed manner. 3 points to bear in mind, firstly make a prior appointment with Mr. Krishna, he will invite you to his office only on a Saturday as he has allotted Saturdays agenda for KSRA work only. secondly ensure you carry a address proof bearing your photograph on it (driving licence would be an ideal document). Lastly but very important please request Mr. Krishna to mention your local police station location on the letter that he issues. My application was sent to a wrong police station by the Commissioners office due to which the entire process was delayed. Took more than a month for the document to reach the correct police station ( this was the confusion that I was referring too). If your PVR (Police Verification Request) goes to a wrong police station you will only have to wait and even if you visit the commissioners office to enquire you will be asked to wait.

Once you have the letter issued by KSRA you will have to submit the same at the single window despatch section at the Police Commissioners office on Infantry Road, Please take an acknowledgement for the submission (Mr. Krishna will give you a addnl copy for acknowledgement purpose) keep this copy for further reference. The PVR should reach you local police station in less than a week (I know this because i got a call from the wrong police station in less than a week) You will receive a call from one of the police staff to enquire your location and availability. Fix a convenient time for both of you ( I waited the entire day but the policeman came at his own convenience at about 8 PM) First thing he will enquire with you is why do you need a gun license, stop him right there and correct him, tell him this verification is for KSRA membership , target shooting practice for sports purpose only and not for a licence. He will give you a Form on which your signature will be required, he will fill in the rest of the details. At this point you will have to keep a copy of any address proof except your driving licence ideally a telephone bill this time ( the cop who visited me said that they do not accept driving licence for address proof) and a passport size photograph. While the cop leaves walk him to your gate XXXX and request him to return/submit the police verification back to Commissioners office as early as possible.

One week after this is done start calling KSRA office and enquire reg your police verification status and if they have received it from the Commissioners office they will ask you to call them the following Saturday to pay your membership fee. When you visit them to pay your fee you will have to carry a stamp size photograph along with the application Form what Mr. Krishina would have given you during your first visit.

I was told that my membership ID will be sent to the range and I will have to collect the ID from there the very next day.

Waiting for Saturday, cant wait to get to the Range.

Reynold

For Advertising mail webmaster
rishudhawan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: KSRA Membership_Experience

Post by rishudhawan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 pm

congrats.... mine is stuck for a similar reason... i fall under Rural, SP office and not the commish office ,wich i did not know, now running around tracing my documents. Commish office seems to have misplaced them.

rishu

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 pm

hi reynold. Thanks for the update. I'm happy that you've got your verification done.

I hate to nit pick, but allow me to make a couple of clarifications.
1) You are not yet a member of KSRA.
2) You have only been admitted to the Civilian Rifle Training Programme at KSRA .
3) On successful completion of this programme you will be considered for admission to the KSRA as a member.
4) As the firearms ranges are currently out of commission, the training will be on air weapons.
5) You will have to attend the training sessions on weekends for approximately 7 weeks (14 sessions).
6) As of now; On successfully completing the course you will be given a complementary membership for one year - this is because the new range has not yet been commissioned.

Hope this clarifies issues.

Ashok

TenX; please pitch in with the latest

rishudhawan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rishudhawan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 pm

ok let me ask this.... if i do a CRT course externally can i get direct admission to KSRA?

Ticky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ticky » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 am

NOPE!

reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by reynoldmaben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 am

lazybones wrote:hi reynold. Thanks for the update. I'm happy that you've got your verification done.

I hate to nit pick, but allow me to make a couple of clarifications.
1) You are not yet a member of KSRA.
2) You have only been admitted to the Civilian Rifle Training Programme at KSRA .
3) On successful completion of this programme you will be considered for admission to the KSRA as a member.
4) As the firearms ranges are currently out of commission, the training will be on air weapons.
5) You will have to attend the training sessions on weekends for approximately 7 weeks (14 sessions).
6) As of now; On successfully completing the course you will be given a complementary membership for one year - this is because the new range has not yet been commissioned.

Hope this clarifies issues.

Ashok

Hi Ashok,

Thanks so much for the above clarifications, I taught I would be a member from immdiate effect.. So can you tell me if I complete 14 sessions of training will I get confirmed membership or is there any other criteria linked to this.

Reynold

TenX; please pitch in with the latest

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:47 am

Hey guys.

To join KSRA, the COMPULSARY FIRST STEP would be to do the CRT - does not matter of you have had training elsewhere or are an Olympic champ :)
The CRT is for 7 weekends, and is presently being offered only in Air Gun shooting, as the rest of the range is yet to blossom!
At the end of the course, you are awarded a one year complimentary membership at no extra cost. This is NOT a permanent KSRA membership. However, you can request an additional recommendation letter from KSRA to help in importing air guns for your practice.
At the end of one year, when your complimentary membership expires, you may approach the KSRA to for a permanent/yearly membership. The application will be considered by KSRA and you may be given a yearly/life membership - based on your performance, interest, regularity and some such criteria :)
Once you have this membership, you can consider yourself a real KSRA mamber, and the membership is valid for imports, representing the state in National events, using other ranges affiliated to KSRA, etc.

Hope this helps :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by reynoldmaben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Opps, that helps a lot now.

One more small doubt, is it compulsory to complete 14 sessions of CRT course in 7 weekends or can it be stretched to 14 weeks i.e only Sunday trainings. Asking this cause I work on Saturdays except 2nd Saturdays.

Reynold

manutewary
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by manutewary » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey Reynold,

Congratulations :)

I am awaiting mine too ... I think we met outside the KSRA office the other day...

Best of luck with the course!

Regards and Best Wishes,
Manu

reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by reynoldmaben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey manu,

I remember.. we met outside KSRA.. lets catch up at the range.... newbies that we are.

Reynold

manutewary
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by manutewary » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Sure thing...

Cheers...

Regards and Best Wishes,
Manu

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Hey Reynolds....
Yes, you can complete the CRT spanning 14 weeks, if you are not available on Saturdays :)
Maybe we can meet up if I come by this Sunday.... Will introduce you to some guys there.

BTW, if (a rare if) a shooter seems very promising within the 'Complimentary' period, and is a good bet for any championship to represent Karnataka, the association 'may' extend a permanent membership to him/her to enable him/her to compete. (This kinda happened in my case several years ago :) ... )
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by reynoldmaben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Dear TenX,

Am eagerly waiting to meet all of you at the Range, especially you. I have read most of your posts and the am aware that there is a lot of knowledge that many of us (newbies) can gain from you. Will definately meet on Sunday.

Am serious about taking up shooting as a serious sport.. will put in all my effords lets wait and watch how the outcome is.. right now im in the process of understanding the mechanisim of the weapon and how it works.

Look forward to see you and Prabhat on Sunday, Prabhath and self have been talking over phone for long but we have'nt met untill now.

Reynold

-- Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:01 pm --

Dear TenX,

Am eagerly waiting to meet all of you at the Range, especially you. I have read most of your posts and the am aware that there is a lot of knowledge that many of us (newbies) can gain from you. Will definately meet on Sunday.

Am serious about taking up shooting as a serious sport.. will put in all my effords lets wait and watch how the outcome is.. right now im in the process of understanding the mechanisim of the weapon and how it works.

Look forward to see you and Prabhat on Sunday, Prabhath and self have been talking over phone for long but we have'nt met untill now.

Reynold

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Major err here.... on my side!
The CRT course is a standard 7-day (session) training held over weekends. I had wrongly mentioned it (earlier) in this thread as a 14-day course.
I have clarified the same with KSRA authorities, and have posted this update :)

TenX

P.S.: Thanks for this thread and updates. Will refine the KSRA website to make understanding better :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

reynoldmaben
Learning the ropes