Maharashtra Rifle Association

A list of shooting clubs & associations in India. This includes state associations as well as NRAI affiliated rifle clubs.
sniperdude
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Maharashtra Rifle Association

Post by sniperdude » Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 am

I have visted the MRA club shooting premises a long time ago 1992-1994.
It was in pretty good nick at that time, most memorable however was the mounted head of a buffalo on the premises.I would be very obliged if some kind soul could post a picture of the head, and have for comparison a person in the picture as well.

Please do not hesitate to PM me if you need to.

Greeting from Auckland.
To hunt fish and speak only the truth.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ashwin Soni
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashwin Soni » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Members,

I am new to this forum.Kudos to the moderators for maintaining such a clean forum.

I wanted to join Rifle Training Camp at the MRA.I have already read Shadow's earlier posts which were helpful.

@Shadow and any other member who has attended the training camp at MRA ,

I would like to know that what exactly was taught to you guys at the camp. I am asking this coz i have
done rifle shooting( with real 303 and .22 Rifles ) in my NCC days and thus I am aware about the basic
of shooting.

But again that was around 9 years ago.So I have grown rusty.I would appreciate if you could share your
experience with me . This would help me decide the usefulness of the course.

looking forwards for a reply.

Cheers

Ashwin Soni

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:21 am

shadow wrote:Hi comrades,

This in continuation of my previous post. It was a great learning experience. Ofcourse I felt the duration of 4 days was too short a time to learn. The coach was Sheila Kanungo, national champion in pistol shooting - very helpful indeed!

Am taking up the membership of MRA. Apparently they have not been spending on beautification of the venue as they want to invest in buying good firearms & ammo for the association.

More later...

Cheers,
Rup
Hey Rup,

Thanks for sharing the information in a detailed manner, pls let us know how is the practise and everything at the club ?

Also were you able to take part in the national matches ?

-B

son_of_a_gun
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by son_of_a_gun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 pm

yes the MRA holds competitions twice in a year.One is around July and other is in Dec or Jan.you can take part in it after you have done your safety course and registered with MRA.

If you score well in these competitions you are elligible for nationals,mavlankar.

Sheila mam is very good when it comes to pistol shooting.She teaches nicely and is very particular.If you are into rifles i dont think MRA is the best place.Instead try Veer Savarkar at Shivaji Park or Ruia ,Matunga.

hobbyshooter2010
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hobbyshooter2010 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 am

hi, thanks for the details.

it seems their website, contact details haven't been updated. does anyone have the latest news from MRA, any new courses etc. is Sheila Maam still involved with MRA.

Dara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Dara » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi all,

Went to Maharashtra Rifle Association shooting range today to get some details. I know shadow has posted details about this before but below are my latest findings in case they help -

Rs 2,000 - Rifle shooting course
Rs 3,000 - Pistol shooting course

Both courses are for 4days each, 2hrs/day. Mention in your application if you only want a course on Saturday/Sunday. All equipment will be provided by the club and Mr Damodar said that they have German guns which will be used

Memberships -
Rs 30,000 - Life time membership + Rs 2,000/yr for renewal
Rs 10,000 - Annual membership

You can use club equipment under both memberships. Club facilities can be used for 6 days (except Wed) and timings are 8:00am to 7:00pm.

Checking out the ranges -
I saw all 3 ranges - 10m > was empty, has some sort of manual pulley system in each lane which pushes-out/pulls-in the target. All parts looked rusty. 25m > there was 1 lady shooting a multiple shot pistol (loud bangs, there was some mechanism under the target which automatically turned after each shot, there was a man operating some electronic device to calculate scores/groupings I guess, the lady had a telescope sitting on the table which she used to see her target board). 50m - deserted, looked dilapidated. I walked up to the back-stop boards made of Al sheets which were completely destroyed due to repeated shooting. There was some tin sheet put up at the shooter's end on top (i guess sun shade) which had some holes made by stray bullets i guess.

Spoke with Mr Damodaran and got a rifle course form which i will submit tomorrow. Asked if I could bring my own 0.22 air rifle in addition to a 0.177 for practice and he said they only allow 0.177 air rifles but could make an exception some times. He will discuss that later when i get membership

Regards
Dara
Guns do not kill, its people who do

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Dara wrote:
Memberships -
Rs 30,000 - Life time membership + Rs 2,000/yr for renewal
Rs 10,000 - Annual membership

Checking out the ranges -
I saw all 3 ranges - 10m > was empty, has some sort of manual pulley system in each lane which pushes-out/pulls-in the target. All parts looked rusty. 25m > there was 1 lady shooting a multiple shot pistol (loud bangs, there was some mechanism under the target which automatically turned after each shot, there was a man operating some electronic device to calculate scores/groupings I guess, the lady had a telescope sitting on the table which she used to see her target board). 50m - deserted, looked dilapidated. I walked up to the back-stop boards made of Al sheets which were completely destroyed due to repeated shooting. There was some tin sheet put up at the shooter's end on top (i guess sun shade) which had some holes made by stray bullets i guess.

Dara
I am sorry to comment but I am surprised, people are ready to shell out 10K - 30K for such facilities. :roll:

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Try the Veer Savarkar Air indoor range at Shivaji park.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:06 am

I agree with hvj1. I am a member of this club and the facilities here are much better than at MRA Worli. Its a 10mtr air rifle/air pistol range. They also run a course for beginners which is about 2000/- and the annual membership should be about 5000/-.

M.
hvj1 wrote:Try the Veer Savarkar Air indoor range at Shivaji park.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Dara
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Dara » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi hvj1 and fantumfan2003,

Thanks much, I did visit the Veer Savarkar range, really nice - automated pulley system, quiet, air-conditioned, gives access to FWB guns etc. However, they do not have weekend coaching for shooting, hence had to opt for MRA at Worli

There are a few things about MRA that appealed to me -

They have 4 ranges in total (4th I did not see the first time I went, but did so this time). This one is also 10m, but is an indoor range, looked quite nice albeit not as sparkling as Veer Savarkar range. It too had an automated pulley system but I dont think this was air conditioned or at least it wasn't cool when I went. Since MRA has weekend coaching I opted for training there. Membership is something I will think about, advantage with Worli is that they allow you to shoot their firearms + have different ranges .. which is not the case with Veer Savarkar indoor. Checked out MRA's air-rifle store room, they too have FWB. Putting all this together, still confused if premium of Rs 5,000/yr over Veer Savarkar membership is worth it

Regards
Dara
Guns do not kill, its people who do

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:00 am

I have joint basic training course at SVSARC which is starting from 21st June.
The course fee is 2500/- duration 8 days & 7 day free use of range
Life member ship fees is 5000/- & 2000/- per year for using range for one year.
so for first year you have to pay 7k & then 2k for each year
you can use their guns but pellets & target is yours

pgangar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by pgangar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Hello everyone,
Can someone please post the address of the Veer Savarkar shooting club in Mumbai. I am aware that it's near Shivaji Park, Dadar, but that's a big area to scout.

Any contact numbers will help too.

Thanks,
Parin Gangar

player287
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by player287 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello friends and seniors,

...Has anyone tried Ruia College's Shooting Academy. Does anyone has any contact details. I have heard infrastructure-wise its the best.
Seniors pls throw some light.

Thanks

deepakvarde
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by deepakvarde » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 am

I could give you whereabouts of Veer Savarkar shooting club.
if you have your back at Siddhivinayak temple and pointing your nose towards hinduja hospital, it'll come on your left.
Its on the main road, so after the HP petrol pump, keep looking left.
They share their premises with Price Waterhouse Coopers (a consulting company).
Its a huge setup, you wont miss it. Ask around if you are confused.
Veer Sarvarkar offers a lot of sports options and rifle shooting is just one of them. The range is located on the forth floor, the lift goes only upto 3rd. So take the stairs to the forth.
There you are!

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 am

Does anyone have any idea about their (MRA) 1-day safety course schedule. I wrote an email on January 10th - so far no reply has been received.
It was addressed to the following e-mails:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Madam/ Sir,

I have been recommended to the MRA by Vishwajeet Shinde. I have completed a Basic Course in Air Rifle handling and shooting at Swatantryaveer Savarkar Air Rifle Club at Shivaji Park and hold a Life Membership of the Club. I wish to pursue one-day safety course at MRA, Worli. Please guide me on the 1-day safety course and the membership rules of the MRA as the web site is wanting in all these details. Thank you very much for the prompt response and guidance.

Regards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)