Fishing trip with Inder.

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Fishing trip with Inder.

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Great pics Mack The Knife.A very fine way of spending a weekend.More than the fishing, the prospect of eating your cooking and swimming make it very appealing. Count me in when I come home.

BTW, your heart attack breakfast is really huge.That's from a zesty trenchernan like me.

Check this out http://heartattackgrill.com/

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Pran";p="12216 wrote:Wanted to know if you cooked the fish yourselves.
I was certainly prepared to cook the fish but we did not eat any. Released all the murral as I wanted a 1.5 kg murral for the pot. More than that would have been wasted and anything less wouldn't have been enough.

I kept the tilapia back to cook for Inder but was far too busy trying for rohu, so told the guard to have it after we left.

Good thing too because as it later turned out His Highness only eats fish in the form of fish pakodas or fish fingers and I sure as hell wasn't carrying batter. :roll:

Inder, you left your fleece behind in the car. Remind me when you come over.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Mehul,

Madras has something Bangalore probably never will - the sea.

If only I had got into fishing whilst I was in Bombay. We lived at Landsend and had sea on three sides. Now that was a wasted opportunity.

However, this place has a charm of it's own and even though this is my 14th visit since I joined WASI in August/September 2005, it still hasn't worn thin.

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Will take a few scaling, cooking lessons from you sometime :)

[quote="Mack The Knife Bana";p="12230"t.

Good thing too because as it later turned out His Highness only eats fish in the form of fish pakodas or fish fingers and I sure as hell wasn't carrying batter. :roll:
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:23 pm

You are definitely in, Vikram. Turns out I can only take two guests per fishing season. Did not know about this rule but found it mentioned on the voucher this time. I just hope it's a typo and they mean per fishing trip. Will get the clarification tomorrow.

Barring breakfast, all the other meals were the pre-cooked boil/microwave/heat in a pan kind.
BTW, your heart attack breakfast is really huge.That's from a zesty trenchernan like me.
Funnily enough I almost never eat breakfast at home and lunch only if it is there. My eating habits are completely wrong - mugs of tea, an early dinner and probably a late night snack.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:27 pm

Pran";p="12232 wrote:Will take a few scaling, cooking lessons from you sometime :)
You'd be most welcome. You can do just that whilst I sit at the table and direct. Expect to be cussed and bawled at.

The Taskmaster. :mrgreen:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:14 am

Mack The Knife,

The sea off Madras is polluted with sewerage that is let into it from the Cooum River as well as the Buckingham Canal which mixes with the COoum just a few hundred yards from the coast. Ditto for the Adyar river. In the old days you could drive up to Mahabalipuram but now there is the nuclear power plant which discharges it's waste into the sea just slightly south of Mahabs at Kalpakkam. :roll: If there is one place that the TN government has allowed to remain clean and undamaged in the last 40 years, I don;t know about it. This story repeats itself everywhere across the state. Sad, and irreversible... :(

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 am

Mehul,
With all the Cauvery dispute happening here, read somewhere that the river flows through a few districts in TN.That would mean Mahseers in TN!

Members from TN could shed more light on this.

Pran

PS:This post could snowball into quarell between the states on release of Mahseers to TN :lol:
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Okay, just checked with WASI and I can take more than two guests per fishing season. Phew! That's a relief!

So, Vikram, anytime you wont to go, just holler.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:31 pm

My gawd what beautiful water.Thanks to you Mack The Knife I now know what Mahseer and Murral look like. I saw Murral in the C.R.Park market and thought they were eel. I really love the way that you have the food...lots of it and delicious to boot.

Great fishing trip I wish that we could find some clean water and some fish in this darn place. Anyway your shots have made me feel very good.
Thanks for posting em.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="12165 wrote: Herewith the trip report.

Inder reaches my place at 4 a.m.. His bag and rod go into the car and we are off.

There is no stopping for breakfast as planned since we pass the place at 5 a.m. and in anycase do not want to waste time. The idea was to get to the cottage before any trouble starts on the road.

The only stop made was by a roadside village to take Inder's snap. I had no idea the flash on this camera was so weak....

We reached the cottage at 6:30 to the accompaniment of the dawn chorus. Car unloaded. Kitchen set up. A quick breakfast of pre-packed ham and cheese sandwiches and a mug of tea, followed by setting up the tackle for what we had come to do.

We fish for about an hour at the cottage lake and then head in the direction of Headworks for some mahseer fishing. This is the first dam between the Cauvery and the canal that brings the water to Bangalore.

Caught three small mahseer on spinner weighing approximately 0.5, 0.75 and 1 kg.

Inder, also caught one but the line cut on the rocks. He had to wait another 24 hours before getting his first mahseer.

We then came back to the cottage for some lunch and a couple of hours of fishing for rohu but the latter were most unobliging.

After some evening tea we head to Forbes Sagar for some murral fishing. I opened the account with a 3.5 kg (approx) murral followed by Inder who finally caught his first murral and I am not sure who was the more relieved of the two as the ghost of Asif's blank trip still haunts me. In all we caught five murral during that two and a half hour evening session. Approximate weights were 1, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 kgs.

Came back to the cottage at 7:30ish and Inder declared that he was going off to sleep without eating dinner as he was knackered, which left me twiddling my thumbs and SMSing Asif and a few other friends. Received a call from my fishing mentor, Prathap, who told me to get my butt out of bed early and try for rohu at the cottage lake.

So I set up the rod for the morning session, had my dinner and hit the sack at 10:30 p.m. for a 6 a.m. start.

Prathap was right about the rohu but all I got for my efforts was a piddly little tilapia. Had no idea the blighters went for ragi.

9 a.m. saw me in the kitchen preparing a heart attack on a plate.

And then we did some more fishing for rohu until lunch but once again this session drew a blank.

Had lunch and then pushed off to Headworks, where Inder caught a beautiful little mahseer. His first.

Next we moved to Forbes Sagar and tried spinning for mahseer and then murral. For some reason Inder wasn't in the mood and I was dying to catch a rohu, so we raced off to the cottage lake at 6 p.m. and I managed to get about 45 minutes of fishing before the light totally died.

And so another trip reluctantly came to an end.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Some more pics of the trip. Though Mack The Knife have already posted the details, will add mine soon...

Njoy!!!

Mack The Knife trying for Rohu

Breakfast time

Just comparing Mack The Knife's tackle box with mine :mrgreen:

View from the cottage

Tilapia

Tilapia again

My first Murrel

Mack The Knife's big one

Murrel once again

First Mahseer of the trip caught by Rusty

Mahseer once again

View from the cottage

Wasi Lake

Have fun guys

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:42 pm

I wish that we could find some clean water and some fish in this darn place.
You haven't posted on this thread.

Stop wishing and come here in March or whatever date suits you.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Inder-Bait and tackle please
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:43 pm

eljefe";p="12314 wrote: Inder-Bait and tackle please
Axx

Tackle: Ugly stick 7 foot, Medium Action rated for 6-15lbs line. Shimano symetre 4000 with rear drag.

Bait: Mahseer: Mepps spinners number 4
Murrel: Ask Mack The Knife :wink:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Murral-remains of the gargantuan brekker most probably ;)
Usually he uses spinners on Murral too
Enjoy
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."