Boys' Day Out

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
alfaromeo17
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Boys' Day Out

Post by alfaromeo17 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:24 pm

gud trip...awesum write up n cool pics cheeers :D
I'M NOT GOD I'M JUST HIS SECOND IN COMMAND.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 pm

nice work up there..

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:39 pm

that seems a gr8 day out, next time, me join u guys too.
anyways have fun guys.. :cheers:

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:37 pm

I remember when I took my first shot at my IOF .30-06. I had mounted the scope and the damn thing whipped up like crazy. The next thing I know, I have a cut from the ocular bell of the scope on my nose and it's bleeding like hell. But not to be undone I tried a couple of shots at 100 meters marked and I got a grouping of a half inch around the number 4-5 ring in the bull. Fortunately, the old training kicked in and I managed to control this notorious habit of the rifle.

Katanaji et tu brute?
the old crescent moon tattoo of a shooter?
try a scope with more eye relief
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm

hvj1 wrote:Hey Olly!
Nice pictures of Olly & Stan. Enjoyable read, the only person missing is one of you trying to teach the local 'Basanti' how to shoot the revolver. OR You already been there and DONE that and dont care to put up the photographs? :D
BR

ROTFL

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 pm

shooter,

Happens, happens....... :(
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Nice going Olly and Katana/Winne the first thing in hunter ed class was warning about scope blue eye or round eye and the importance of eye relief..now I know why....IOF rifle looks good except like Ali she floats like butterfly and kicks like a mule weigh the baby down

Cheers

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Good shooting chaps, seems like a kill or cure way hee hee ROTFL cured one from big bore for sure.
Anyway good that you did the initial r&d.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

saifdiwan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by saifdiwan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Awesome stuff!

Thanks,
Saif

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 am

Olly: Not to defend IOF, who are probably putting the sight from the .22 rifle on the .30-06. But those military sights can only be calibrated for one particular cartridge, bullet weight, and velocity. The standard ball load.
To do so for a hunting cartridge with its variety of bullet weights, shapes,velocities and trajectories, is not possible. You would have to tell the maker exactly what cartridge and bullet weight you are going to use. And then, at twice the price, you could have the sights calibrated for your particular load. And even then, unless you used a range finder, you'd only have exact adjustment to an estimated range. Better to sight in your rifle to put the bullet about 5cm high at 100 meters, and then shoot at longer distance (from a bench, or other solid rest) to learn how much holdover is required at 300 or 400 meters. Cheers.

jetley
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jetley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am

.....clap-clap...applauses...great writeup....

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am

Change the butt stock of the rifle and shoot some more.Should cure your recoil problem.You can also think of adding some weight to the rifle.Would help to soak up recoil.

Is that a pyjama nala tied to the revolver? Very innovative way of retaining a handgun.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 am

eljefe wrote:Anupam, a few quick obs
that rifle is leaning against a tree with bolt closed- VERY NO NO from safety point of view, gun safety includes never to lean a fire arm against an object like fence/tree/wall
lay it down instead
best
Thanks Doc for the tips....
Now that reminds me of another phenomenon in the IOF .30-06... the moment you open the bolt and release it, it rattles back and forth with the movement of the rifle - the bolt is too loose within the receiver assembly ! Hence the decision to lock the bolt instead...

The stock needs changing - without doubt.... !

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 am

I thought your stock was changed! Wait till you see mine. It's that pukey yellow :cry: . Anyway, I've still to get around to making my own.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Very nice write up. And fellas, Please use eye and ear protection while shooting. I've met numerous folks who've been negligent and paid a horrible price. Although one of them joked that he liked to hear the guns, not the wife, so... :)

Anyway, looks like good fun, ANY shooting event is good I'd say.