IFG - USA meet 2012

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

IFG - USA meet 2012

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 am

Fellow IFGians,

Some mention was made in an earlier post on the possibility of an IFG-USA/Canada meet. Timmy, CK Kalyan, Conty1, etc showed some interest in this. This would be a great opportunity to get to meet some of our members. It would also be a great opportunity for our Indian members to come over and share some shooting with us. The focus of this event will most likely be shooting sports of some kind or many kinds. This can be anywhere in the US, that is to be decided yet. At first we will try to see if there is any interest. Please note this is not limited to just IFG Indians. We have European members, we have many other US members that we would all like to meet.
Timmy had a suggestion. He mentioned camping at Custer State Park. There is a group camping area there as well as individual campsites. From there we can see many different things like Little Bighorn National Park (the actual site of the Custer’s last stand), Mount Rushmore, the fabled Badlands, etc. Several lakes and streams are available for fishing in Custer State Park. Fishermen will find trout, bass, northern pike, pan fish and more. We would also have to find a public range nearby, where we could shoot. I’m willing to bring what I have in the way of guns and Tim will probably bring some of what he has. We would also like to get our Canadian friends involved in helping to organize/plan this. We would like to offer friendly shooting contests, etc. Target Shooting, Silhouette shooting, Combat shooting, Trap, Cowboy action shooting, etc.

There are so many great places in the US to have this kind of a meet. The camping will minimize hotel/motel costs and will allow a communion with nature. Camping and the outdoors will be the icing on the cake. There is nothing quite like sharing the camaraderie of a meal and a fire at night after a full day in the outdoors.
We will try to keep this in a gun friendly state. Being able to shoot on private land would be ideal but if not, we would have to find a decent public range.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome, from anyone.
What would be the best time of year to have this meet (i.e. if we have people coming in from India, what would be the most convenient time of year for them)?

If you have even the slightest interest, please indicate so. If you then have specific concerns, we will try and address those individually. We will try and accommodate everyone.

I would try to get a planning committee started with US/Canadian members. Any volunteers for this? Tim and I are willing to help with the planning.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
trammway
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: IFG - USA meet 2012

Post by trammway » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 am

Hi,

That's a great idea. I would be interested if it is organised in east coast of US or Quebec, CA areas. I know the laws in each state differs and NJ and NY are not good place for shooting or even peaceful possession of any fire arm. Hence let me know if you guys find a place close to east coast(I'm from NJ) so I could join as non shooter and by standing IFGian.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:58 am

Sounds great xl . All the best for the meet.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

Sounds great - who 's paying ... ?

I mean which airline is affiliated with IFG's :D

It's going to be a bit hard to haul bunch of Firearms across the border into US .

Although East or West Canada and US are two different things and I believe East should meet East and Baljit and West people can arrange there West meet.

I usually fly to Vancouver and drive across US if I ever decide to go to LA or SanFrisco/ Yuba City . And I be going to Surrey.BC coming any Provincial elections or any marriages or any thing . And it can be done even there are no other reasons , enough air miles on Visa

So go for it and hope it can work - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 am

Trammway, As soon as we firm up a location, we'll let the board know. If you don't have any guns to bring, it OK, you don't have to be a bystander. I'm sure we can find something for you to shoot. :)

Thanks Prashant. Would be great if you could make it. We would surely like to shake the hand of a man who stalks a man eater at night, on foot, in the hills.

Haji, We're not expecting you Canadians to bring anything across the border. I know that will be difficult. Would sure like to meet all of you though. We're hoping to keep the cost down. Can't help with the air-fare though.
Last edited by xl_target on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:36 am

Sounds good, now that I'm on the right side of the pond, lets see if we can meet
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 am

Hamiclar, would be delighted to have you.

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm

All the Best xl..... great going.....and keep us posted.......
regards
Happy.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:11 am

Hi, xl
I dont know how i miss this but anyway i am in, let me know ahead of time so i can take time off from the work , about someone from India i think for them would be nice if it's in March or April or in Oct. or Nov. anyway this is what i am thinking, i am looking forward for this.

Baljit

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:01 am

We can have it here at my facility, provided there is no conflicting school group.

I am about an hour drive from the St Louis airport (5 hours from Chicago), I have facilities to comfortably hold about 50 people, a dining facility, plenty of woods to go hiking in and plenty of places to shoot as well.

However, if it would be more convenient for a get together to be hosted somewhere else that is perfectly fine with me as well.

If anyone is curious what it looks like here, send me a PM with your email address and I will send a 3mb PDF brochure of our program which shows the facility pretty well.

Of course the downside to all this is that I'll need to get off my butt and get my new reloading room completed!

Again, if this is an inconvenient location I do not want anyone to feel obligated that it needs to be held here!

Regards,

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:04 am

I may be in the general area. Whatever area you pick, please pick one with hotels/Inns close by. I am not big on camping. I like my creature comforts. :cheers:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 am

MoA wrote:I may be in the general area. Whatever area you pick, please pick one with hotels/Inns close by. I am not big on camping. I like my creature comforts. :cheers:
MOA, We will try and be near a metro area so we can pick people up from the airports. Therefore, the option to stay in a hotel/motel should be available. I will try to make arrangements to pick people up from the airports so they don't incur much in the way of costs. We would very much like to have you attend this event.

Mark, PM inbound.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:11 am

Would love to meet up if possible. I dont own any firearms, but would love to help out in planning and executing this event. Am based in Los Angeles, CA and have camping gear of my own and can hire more gear at cheap prices from UCLA. Please let me know how I can help out.
Thanks
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

shooterz
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shooterz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:13 am

XL Target,

This is a great idea! I live in Washington State, I believe Custer is in Montana?? If so, I don't have to worry about transporting my guns there. I have a crap load of guns, so for our International friends, I am happy to let anyone shoot them. You guys just pay for the ammo, and it is all done. A suggestion on the weather here in the states..Montana gets and stays cold for a lot of the year. That should be a factor. And the other suggestion of having one on each side of the country is also a good idea. XL and Timmy, from where do you hail? I thought Timmy was from New Mexico, not sure on you XL. I look forward to this possibility. I would love for our friends from around the world to enjoy this gift of freedom we have in America. Take care all, Troy

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:37 am

Shooterz, you are correct, the Little Bighorn Battlefield is near Crow Agency in Montana. The major city is Billings, to the north. From South Dakota, there is a very interesting drive over high plains along US Highway 212 from Sturgis, South Dakota to the Battlefield. This route goes through a number of little towns like Lame Deer, Alzada, and Broadus. I once drove the entire route in about an hour, going 100 mph, but that was quite a few years back. From Custer State Park to Sturgis is another hour's drive or more (at more reasonable speeds!).

You are also right, Montana can be plumb cold during the Spring, which is certainly April and May. (In Western Montana, we used to joke that there were only two seasons, Winter and the 4th of July, and that the only thing between Montana and the North Pole was a barbed wire fence in Canada.)

Thanks for your suggestions -- we are working this out!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman