Japan trip

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Japan trip

Post by Katana » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Am off to Japan the coming week. Will be in the Tokyo area basically.

Anybody with pointers to visit interesting places or activities?
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Japan trip

Post by pistolero » Thu May 30, 2013 1:18 am

Sirji,

A few must visit places:

1) www.touken.or.jp
2) www.japansword.co.jp
3)www.aoijapan.com
4) Tokyo National Museum (some amazing swords there)
5) Yasukuni Shrine

Also if your going to be buying a Shinken new or old, it takes 2-3 weeks to sort out the paper work to get export permission. If you are visiting Japan Sword make an appointment, they will show you some exquisite pieces. You can start processing the documents in advance, else you need to wait to finish the process. Iato's require no permission.

And ofcourse Club Asia & Ageha at night!! :D

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!!!

Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 am

Aloha,

Tokyo has the Tsukiji Fish Market, one of the Largest in the World.

Lots of small delicious eateries inside. All ocean related.

Shinagawa area has the Shrine of the 47 Samurai.

Get a good train map. All the stations have English subtitles.

Get on/off during Off peak hours. Rush hours are Really Bad.

Yokohama has Adm Togo's flagship Mikasa. The one in which he Defeated 2 Russian Battle fleets in 1905.

If you look closely, you will see ONE of 12 Colt made Gattling guns shipped to Japan prior to the Russo-Japanese War.

Their train stations usually have delicious mini box lunches. I particularly enjoy the broiled eel.

If you get a chance to ride the Shinkansen(Bullet Train) video the onboard speedometer after it hits 200kph.

Again, the mini box lunches on the Shinkansen is close to excellent.

First Class (Green Car) on the trains are very expensive and not too occupied.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm

A visit to the Miroku factory comes to my mind. That must be an absolute treat to visit. I read that they still hand finish a lot of their high grade guns.If you can manage that, please do take plenty photos.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Katana wrote:Am off to Japan the coming week. Will be in the Tokyo area basically.
Anybody with pointers to visit interesting places or activities?
> Learn a few Japanese words - Works wonders when you say that to a Japanese Gent / Lady :D
> For starters....
1. Oh hai Ho Gozai Mas = Hello Good Morning
2. Arigato = Thank You
3. Sayonara = Good Bye
4. Wakamari Suka = I understand
5. When greeted - Bend at the waist (Bow)
> Have a blast - Have Sake (Japanese Rice Wine)
:cheers:
Briha

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:01 am

pistolero,

The first two are on my wishlist, first thing since I started detailing my probable visits! :D

Vikram,

Was joking with a member here about Miroku the other day. Pity imports are shut. It would have been an article of beauty to bring back a Miroku shotgun or even a Howa rifle. :( Your suggestion of visiting the factory is really playing on my mind now. 8)

Briha,

Must say you are a multi faceted personality. Didn't know you knew Japanese too! It would be a pleasure to meet you some day. As far as the language bit is concerned, I'll let my bro-in-law do the talking. He lives and works there so he knows the language and customs. I've already hired him as my personal translator ROTFL
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:38 am

Katana wrote:
Vikram,

Was joking with a member here about Miroku the other day. Pity imports are shut. It would have been an article of beauty to bring back a Miroku shotgun or even a Howa rifle. :( Your suggestion of visiting the factory is really playing on my mind now. 8)
Katana,

I know for a fact that very few managed to do a visit to Miroku. You will have to organise it well in advance as language could be a problem and I heard that they are not very keen on guided tours in the factory, unlike their western counterparts. But, if you do try, you will manage it and I am sure that will be a fantastic experience for you and for us to share.

On a side note, I gather from various sources that they are quite big on etiquette. Familiarising yourself with what is not polite should be a great asset when dealing with them.

Best-
Vikram

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:17 am

On a side note, I gather from various sources that they are quite big on etiquette. Familiarising yourself with what is not polite should be a great asset when dealing with them.
In fact that's one of the few things like about Japanese society. I wish we had even an iota of it in India.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Uji Katana wa ī tabi o motte iru. Honmono no katana wa,-kō de tanzō shutoku shite kudasai
Kanōdeareba, amarini mo watashi no tame no 1 o shutoku shimasu.

TC :D

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:35 pm

TC wrote:Uji Katana wa ī tabi o motte iru. Honmono no katana wa,-kō de tanzō shutoku shite kudasai
Kanōdeareba, amarini mo watashi no tame no 1 o shutoku shimasu.
TC :D
> Oh hai Ho TC San - Gosaimatz :D
> That was indedd neat - Like a shot of Triple Distilled SAKE :lol:
Briha

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Good Lord, guys! I though I was the one making this trip. I don't know a word of Japanese. TC, you'll have to translate that for me.

You guys tried Japanese whiskey? I got a couple of bottles from my bro-in-law. pretty much like single malts.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 pm

BTW,Katana, have you seen this Japanese Bladesmiths?

May be another idea for you. :idea:

Best-
Vikram

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 am

Miroku are in Nankoku, Kochi which is a LONG way from Tokyo - over 480 miles/770 km.
Interesting place Japan ...... Tokyo is incredibly busy, hardly anyone speaks English and meeting people can be almost bizarrely formal.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Katana,
I wrote in Japanese something Vikram has hinted at : To get a real katana made of forged steel and get one for me too :D (the later part was a joke !)

I am sure whatever in write in whichever language you are going to look for one and get one as well... knowing you personally I can count on my own words :lol:

Have a nice trip. Enjoy the Sushi and Jap whiskey

:cheers:

TC

PS : I don't know a word of Japanese but with hundreds of translation software at our disposal language is not really much of a barrier today :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brihaji : Anata no sensei ni kansha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:24 pm

TC wrote: Brihaji : Anata no sensei ni kansha
TC,
> Ah So Arigato TC San....
> Anata wa yoi, tsumari, gakushū shite iru... Anata ga jōshō suru koto ga arimasu :lol:
> BTW - You forgot to mention "Kobe Steak" & Santori Whisky to Katana :D
> Sayonara TC San!
Briha