Midwest Meetup! (Pix Heavy)

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Midwest Meetup! (Pix Heavy)

Post by dev » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

ckkalyan wrote:
dev wrote:Love the camping gear. Have been eyeing the Coleman stove for a while but then I found that I had a small gas with a burner and cooking unit on top.
Please to add the bundook shots soon.
Apologies for the pressure but we be starved gun buffs the schemiesers (sp?) are shooting versions?
Regards,
Dev
Hey Dev, I should ask XL to post pics of his Mini "Super" Coleman Stove as I could not find any images of it on line - at $28 from Walmart - it is a steal... :D

I found the stove. Here it is

All the weapons you saw at the Roundup when re-enacted are real they just use blanks including the 50 Cal Machine Gun and Schmeisser - Brilliant isn't it? We were even able to pick up ejected, unfired 'blanks' from the arena. Chuck got them sort of swiped them! :roll:

:cheers:
Wow Ck thanks for the stove shot. I saw these in Oz but the problem is the fuel, guess we can get them filled here but why bother so much? So the schmeissers are real working versions? Makes visions of the old Commando comics come alive. Thank you for taking so much trouble to post.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

OOOHHH man, how can i thank you both, what excellent narration and full dose for eyes too.

Indeed gun lovers heaven, cant thank you both enough for taking out time to post this lovely thread

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks very much, my friend xl_target for your superb sense of hospitality and generosity, I enjoyed myself to the hilt...You also helped me cure my frozen right shoulder with your pump-action shotgun. Working it just sort of cured me! Thank you!

Also, many thanks to you and your family for having me over and warmly, welcoming me into your home, in 'sunny' MN ;-)

My friends - I am sorry I have been such a damp squib (sorry - hangfire on this topic) :( My apologies! I could not reply to each one of you individually - I appreciate all your comments though - and Thums Up's - Taste the Thunder! :D

Sharad, my host in at the bar and his home in Minneapolis for the last evening of my trip - thank you! We had a great time, short but fun, at the bar Sharad had called us to. There, I was totally impressed by xl_target's daughter - amazing young lady - (XL and Jo must be very proud parents)! :D

What went on in the few hours before Sharad and I retired. There were a few introductions, a couple of visits to some late night bars....but hey, I had only a few hours of shut-eye before I took off! I leave the rest to your imagination... (and mine as well....) :lol: :mrgreen:

Sharad literally gave me the shirt off his back for that one evening at his place that , I spent with him and crashed out at before take off. He woke up and drove me over to the airport at an unearthly hour so that I could catch the flight in time. Thank you Sharad!

:cheers:

A lovely conclusion to a wonderful trip with a fellow IFG'ian - adventure, gunsmoke, lessons learned!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 pm

ckkalyan wrote:
timmy wrote: This cannon is, I'm sure, a Model 1841 Mountain Howitzer. Here is the wiki on this weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_Mountain_Howitzer

That's a real piece of history you're standing next to, CK!

Thanks for these pics, guys!
Thanks Timmy for the heads up on the Mountain Howitzer, nice article. Here is a bit that I found in reference to 'Fort Rigley' here http://swcwa.com/Untitled41/The_Mountain_Howitzer.pdf[/i]
Thanks for the link, CK, that's an interesting write-up. Away from the events that were more publicized, these little pieces of ordnance served quite well, it seems, and have an interesting story of their own!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:49 am

dev wrote: Wow Ck thanks for the stove shot. I saw these in Oz but the problem is the fuel, guess we can get them filled here but why bother so much? So the schmeissers are real working versions? Makes visions of the old Commando comics come alive. Thank you for taking so much trouble to post.
Regards,
Dev
Hi Dev,

Glad you liked the little Coleman - super stuff!

One of the reasons I 'hung out' so much with the German re-enactors' was exactly as you expressed it - the Schmeissers, machine pistols, have been in my head from my childhood memories of books and comics on WWII :lol:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:21 am

ckkalyan wrote: One of the reasons I 'hung out' so much with the German re-enactors' was exactly as you expressed it - the Schmeissers, machine pistols, have been in my head from my childhood memories of books and comics on WWII :lol:
Hi CKK,
Couldn't agree with you more :D
Every grown man nurses within him 'his childhood' - fond memories of adventure, friendship, his first catapult, pocket knife, climbing trees, swimming in village ponds, playing pranks......I could go on & on....
Life completes the whole circle when you re-enact these with your children & grandchildren.... :D
Have a great week-end :cheers:
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:50 pm

What a an absolutely wonderful story as two buddies travel ....

Thank you XL and CKda

TC