Meet In Kelowna (Pix. Heavy)

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Meet In Kelowna

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:30 am

Day 3 Mon, 23 Sep

Come Monday morning it was raining steadily, cold and no sign of the Sun. Since the weather was not great there was not much hunting, outdoor or gun related activity that could be considered. Grrrr…. :cry:

Alternate plan: Baljit’s uncle works the week at Oroville WA, USA and drives back home to Winfield BC Canada for the weekends. We decided to take him up on his earlier offer and visit him. The route to Oroville would take us admirably, over a major part of the Okanagan Valley Wine Route including wineries in Kelowna, Penticton and Oliver. The plan was to do the wine route on our way back giving us more time to explore, driving at a relaxed pace keeping an eye out for attractions by the route.

Link to more information here http://okanagan.com/maps/wine_map.htm

After a quick lunch we left at 1:20 pm driving through the rain, which incidentally, did nothing to reduce the amazing beauty of the mountains and lakes. On our drive we would have the mountains on our right and we would cover most of the route with the huge 80 km long Lake Okanagan, on our left.

Rainy Day!

While driving in the Okanagan Valley I could not help but notice that this is definitely truck country; all sorts and manner of trucks passing by, their huge engines growling powerfully on the mountain terrain. I could spot very few saloon cars on the streets and highways.

Truck Country

An hour and half of driving on Highway 97 South, past incredible scenery of craggy mountains and sparkling lakes took us through towns with curious names such as Peachland, Summerland, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Oliver and brought us to the unique border town of Osoyoos - which is a desert!

Desert Country in the midst of Cold Canada- how cool is that?!

Welcome to Osoyoos - a treasure in the sun. Osoyoos is Desert Wine Country's Sweet Spot with the charm of a beach town surrounded by the only living desert in Canada. Taste award winning wine bottled where it is grown, savour sun-warmed fruit straight off the tree, visit centres devoted to preservation of our ecology, native culture and local history and then refresh yourself in the warmest fresh water lake in Canada.

More information at Link http://www.osoyoos.ca/content/about-osoyoos-1

The only living desert in Canada

Craggy Mountains....

The interesting thing at Penticton is that Lake Okanagan ends here, transforming itself into a canal that carries on across the border and into the States. In fact as we progressed on the next day came across a county called Okanogan (note the minor difference in spelling) and also a river of the same name.

Here is a link to more information on the spelling and how it flows from BC Canada to Osoyoos, WA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanogan_RiverOkanogan Canal / River

Okanogan River

The border crossing was completely empty, we got through in no time but, we noticed that there was a line up on the way back into Canada. Oroville just across the border is a small, one time prosperous mining town, area 1.64 square miles, POP of maybe 1,700 with a mostly agriculture based economy. A few vacation cottages have been built recently, so I guess the lumber mill is a pretty big player in the town’s economy.

Duty - Freeeeee...........Canadians - save in the US of A

Booze Galore – Low Prices and you can have your Goose too!

No rush to get in to the US - but a huge line-up to get back into Canada

Welcome to Washington State!

We soon reached the mill – the Gorman Bros Plant; we quickly met up with Baljit’s uncle who immediately offered to show us around the plant. Uncle is the chief of the Wigwam – the Plant Manager! We enjoyed his personally guided tour of the board plant and were impressed by the latest computerized, processing equipment. The tour of the plant was of keen interest to Baljit as this is his line of work too in the same company in West Kelowna.

The Gorman Bros. Lumber Mill (Reman & Reload Plant, Oroville WA, USA)

Broadening our minds - a wonderful education...!

...on what keeps a Lumber Mill ticking...

Me with Uncle in the plant...he is a wonderful person!

Board going into auto grading scanner

Trim Saws

Out of the saw box

Auto Printed Board Ends

Strapping and Packing

Wrapping

Finished Product Packaging

Ready to Ship

In the Gorman Yard - looks like I almost work here - huh?

As you might have guessed there wasn’t much to do in Oroville. There was still light so we decided to take a trip to Omak a much larger town about 65 kms away to take a look at what was available in Walmart.

On the way to Omak

Desert Country continues!

On the Way Back - to Oroville

We were soon done shopping having picked up what was needed, we returned to Oroville and set up shop for an evening of drinks.

The Bar!

Spoilt for choice....hmm...what do we pick?

We all enjoyed a pleasant time chatting and lowering the levels in uncle’s bottle of Beefeater’s Gin. Baljit of course, chose to stay with Crown Royal. I got the opportunity to sample a bottle of Appleton Estates Jamaican Rum, a blend of 15 choice aged rums. It was so smooth I was able to sip it straight! Dinner was some delicious fried chicken purchased at a local shop, I am sure the recipe borrowed quite heavily from the famous Colonel!

Mixing Cocktails and having fun...

Yummy - Lipsmacking! :lol:

Khao, Piyo - Aaish Karo!

All too soon it was time to give the body its mandatory 40 winks...
Last edited by ckkalyan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Meet In Kelowna (Pix. Heavy)

Post by brihacharan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 am

CKK / Baljit,
> Great going You & Baljit....
> If I have nothing to do over the week-end - I'll just go through your pics & travelogue - Close my eyes and have a virtual trip of the trail you guys blazed :D
> Oh! by the way the pic of you squeezing lime over a Vodka Martini is too much man ... while you are at it the next time... make one for me & down it with "here's to briha"... rest assured the spirit will get to me :D
:cheers:
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:11 am

Day 4 Tue, 24 Sep

We woke up at, as Bertie Wooster likes to put it, ‘at a decent hour’ no worse for the wear with all the ‘Khaao, Piyo – Aaish Karo’ mood that was on the night before! :lol:

We noticed that the weather was fine and sunny, prefect for a drive through wine country. Our drive took us through greenery and clean smells of the sun-warmed earth assailed our nostrils. We passed farming establishments with the names of their owners and brands of produce / wine on prominently displayed signs. A striking fact was that we came upon names like Sandhu, Gill, Sidhu, Sahota, Ahluwalia, Sodhi, interspersed with Desert Hills, Oliver Twist, Cassini Cellars, Castoro de Oro, Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, Cedar Creek Estate Winery and Gold Hill Winery.

On the way back to Canada.

Before we cross the border we make a quick stop at local store here.

Back on the road again.

Crossing the Canada/US border.

Back in Canada.

All of a sudden, we spotted what we thought was a castle. We realized later that it was a very large manor house and that it is referred to in Punjab as a ‘Koti’ – quite an amazing sight. :shock:

"Koti"

We also spotted a Sikh Temple here.

Whenever something caught or eye or fancy, which was frequently, we stopped for photographs.

Bunches of Purple Grapes hanging heavy on their vines

We were attracted by the name Castoro de Oro and decided to stop by the vineyard, a quaint little cottage with an outdoor arbour and signs of welcome everywhere. We were helloed cheerfully by a lady who asked us if we wanted to try some of their wines. Stella owns the winery with her husband. She was very knowledgeable about their wines, kept up a continuous flow of information going during the tasting. Stella had a fantastic sense of humour and explained that they were a boutique winery but has a few more variants than other vineyards. We got into a discussion about Rose’ wines and how they were mostly seen and consumed in France and other parts of Europe; she mentioned that Roses were fast regaining popularity, worldwide.

Tasting the wine.

Rack of wine

Baljit declined to try the wines as he was the designated driver; but he had no objection to purchase a bottle of their excellent 2011 Merlot; I picked up a bottle of Pinot Noir 2010.

Link to Castoro de Oro here http://www.castorodeoro.com/index.html

Back on the road again.

Playing with sling shot.

This is the rout we took it.

I must mention here that this trip was partly to celebrate my taking the first step to becoming a firearms owner in Canada.

A couple of weeks ago, soon after returning from the thoroughly enjoyable trip to Minnesota, visiting xl_target, I decided purely on impulse, to make a ‘now or never’ effort.

I applied and paid for a two-day (8 Hrs / day) course for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). Passing these is mandatory to apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). With the CFSC one can own long guns; for the right to own handguns one needs to pass the CRFSC as well. I felt it prudent to get both done together; in for a penny…logic!

I am happy to report that I aced both the theory and practical tests with 98% and 100%
I had brought along with me the application form for the PAL which Baljit kindly helped me fill out this evening. I also had to attach a latest mug-shot which I got done today at the local Walmart. Once mailed with the requisite fee the application take about 73 days to get vetted and approved.

If anyone is interested in what the CFSC / CRFSC entail here is a link for the PDF version of the course books

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/m ... Course.pdf

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/m ... Course.pdf

More pictures with Baljit's Toy's coming soon. :D
Last edited by ckkalyan on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 am

I am happy to report that I aced both the theory and practical tests with 98% and 100%
I had brought along with me the application form for the PAL which Baljit kindly helped me fill out this evening. I also had to attach a latest mug-shot which I got done today at the local Walmart. Once mailed with the requisite fee the application take about 73 days to get vetted and approved.
Woohoo!
Congratulations! Time for another celebration?
Or are you all celebrated out? :wink:
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Nice ........ CK should be appointed Ambassador of IFG.

And Baljit Photographer just say'ng :mrgreen:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:05 am

September, 25/2013

Last night CK and I had a long chat about the trip to US; also he is very interesting to know more about the Gorman Mill plant in the US and one here in West Kelowna. I explain him how this company start out 60+ years ago.

Same time we go through all of the pictures which we took it today and resize them with lowering the levels of Crown Royal. When I look at the clock it’s past 4:00AM. I said "CK we should hit the bed because we going to wake up again in few hours".

We also make a plan for the day as well; both of us decided that we have to wake up around 8:00AM, and then we going for hunt in the morning for few hours.

As we made a plans for the day, I woke up in the morning and I notice that CK still in the bed. I walk into his room and try to wake him up but he said “I need more sleep”.
Now, looks like to me is we have to cancel the hunting plans. When clock hits the 11:00AM, I went to his room again and wake him up. When I wake him up first thing he said “What time is it” and I said "its 11 O’clock".

Shortly after that he went to washroom for a shower, after shower when he come downstairs, its 11:40AM already on the clock.

He made a coffee for himself and I am working on breakfast/lunch. When we finished breakfast/lunch it’s about 12:45PM on the clock.

After lunch, he said "I like to go through your collections of Toys" I said "sure lets go upstairs". Shortly after that both of us went to my room, where I keep all of my toys in two large gun safes.

Here is CK with my both gun safes. All of you guy's can see the smile on his face

When I open both of my gun safes CK went through each and every one of toys and asking me guns related questions. I explain him everything he ask me about my toys.

Here is when i open my first safe.

My M1 30 carbine.

My SKS, 7.62x39.

My Ruger 10/22 in .22LR.

My Ruger SR22 in 22LR.

My CZ 453 in 17HMR.

My Remington 870 in 12 Bore.

My Italian SxS 12 Bore.

My Russian O/U in 12 Bore.

My S&W 38 Spl.

My Webley mark IV in 38 S&W.

My 1911 Para in 9MM.

My other two 1911 Para in 40 S&W.

My 1911 SGS in 22LR.

My CZ 75B in 40 S&W.

My M14 in 7.62x51 (308).

My Remington 700 in .223Rem.

My Sako in 3006.

My Sako in 7MM Rem.Mag.

My Savage 110BA in .300 Win. Mag.(long range toy).

CK put all of my toys on the bed.

He still playing with 30 Carbin. :?

Once he is done with my collections of Toys, we put all of toys back into safe and went downstairs. Its 3 O’clock already and CK said “I think I should leave now because I have four hours’ drive ahead of me”.
Shortly after that we said good bye each other and promise that we going to have fun with the toys again. :D

Here is CK when he is living for Richmond. :(

Ck, Thank you very much for staying and spent some time with me and my family. I hope we going to meet again very soon . :cheers:

Enjoy.
Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 am

HA! That's not a collection Baljit, That's an Arsenal! :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 am

xl_target wrote:HA! That's not a collection Baljit, That's an Arsenal! :)
That's an Arsenal! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Briha

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Excellent photos again.

Baljit, that is a nice collection. I especially like your revolvers.

Kalyan, congratulations on clearing the first threshold to firearms ownership. We will all be looking forward to what you will be getting.

Thank you both, Baljit and Kalyan, for this excellent report.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am

Arsenal, hell, that's an armoury!! Very nice collection Baljit..... drooling over your "shauk hatyaran da"!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 am

Great pictures and narrative baljit and CK. Its truly gods country out there. I was in BC Vancouver for few days and its one of the prettiest places.

Thanks for sharing amigos

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Wow! some amazing pics indeed with nice cooking, booze n road travel. Baljit paaji u got n amazing colllection of weapons. Very heavy arsenal. Would you please tell more about the scope you have fitted on your Remington 700 and about your Savage 110BA (looks like a barrett). Great Stuff!

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm

CK / Baljit,
> I couldn't help but go through your posts all over again :D
> After having feasted my eyes on Baljit's Arsenal - next in the 'ogling list' was the 'Wine Racks'...
> Oh! CK's anticipatory look at the Lady behind the counter extolling the praises of the contents of the bottle she is holding took me on a 'virtual trip' :D
> Holding the wine glass (a waterford crystal) filled with the purple crimson ambrosia, twirling it a bit, taking in the aroma, gently sipping it, roll it a couple of times in the mouth & gently let it descend down the gullet to feel the warmth... heady man heady...
> Remembered my old days with an international packaging company which gave me the opportunity to visit a few local vineyards & the discussions had with the brewmaster / vinterer....
* Learn to hold your glass
* Respect the spirit
* Savour it
* Let the spirit imbibe in your system
> The 3 decisive factors of a good wine...
1. Body
2. Bouquet
3. Potability (a combination of feel, taste & its passage down your throat)
> The art of wine making is a skill that can only be acquired over time, like painting, sculpting or playing an instrument...
> Finaly IMHO - The most appropriate toast for wines is 'Salud' - a salutation to the pristine melding of the body, soul & spirit :D
Briha

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 am

XL,brihacharan Ji,Vikram,essdee1972,ngrewal,Ramandeep and brihacharan Ji again, Thank you very much for your feedback.

XL......... You know me very well. :D

brihacharan Ji....... Thank you very much for your comment. :D

Vikram..... Thank you very much for your comment about those Rev. :wink:

essdee1972....... Thank you very much for drooling over my "shouknk hathyaran da"!! :lol:

Navi...... You was in Vancouver and you dont even call me. :deadhorse:

Ramandeep.... Thank you very much about you comment.On my both rifles they are Millett scopes.

Here is a link for those scopes on my rifles.

On my Remington 700 .223 Rem.....http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

On my 110 BA.......http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/

brihacharan Ji...... thank you very much for your interesting comment again.I think CK will put more lights on your last comment because he really enjoying the vine. ROTFL

Baljit

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:48 am

What a great meet up and outing great pics @ CK fabulous write up and pics and thanks for raiding our friends gun safes.(I am sure there are more hidden treasures ).... @Baljit I can see what a gracious host you are amazing "Yaro ke Yaar"..,
I dont dial 911... I dial .357