The Gun Show at Manila, Philippines, 2001

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

The Gun Show at Manila, Philippines, 2001

Post by TC » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 pm

I was in Manila for a professional course at the Asian Institute of Management. Visited the fair and had a gala time the day before I left the country. Made some good friends. For a man who has grown up with firearms this was a treat. Virtually all big names in the small arms manufacturing business in USA and Europe were represented at the show by their dealers. Found these photos after a long time. Wanted to share with my dear friends on IFG :D

The smile says it all :lol:

These guys never got tired of showing me the handguns on display. Their smiles make it apparent. —

The man beside me was an officer from the special forces. We had a great time despite the language barrier.

I bought some great knives from this store. The owner (to the right in blue T) was ecstatic when I said I came from Calcutta. "I visited your city once," he said and instantly offered a discount :D

Please don't comment on finger position. There was a lock on the trigger (its mandatory) and I simply rested my finger on it.

The man beside me owned the biggest gun store in Manila and his father once presented a gold plated Heckler and Koch MP5 sub-machine gun to Ferdinand Marcos when the later was in power. Marcos loved articles of ostentation. No wonder his wife Imelda walked around in diamond studded sandals

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: The Gun Show at Manila, Philippines, 2001

Post by Moin. » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Looking very handsome TcDa. :)... Are you sure this was 2001 ? or 1981 really :) :) you are looking quite young in the pics... just old enogh to drive. :)
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:48 pm

nice pics :-)

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:19 am

The One thing I do love about the Philippines is the fact that you can go to any Range and get to shoot the most awesome weapons that we Indians can only dream off. :D

I had fun with the SAIGA 12 when I was there last time, I see you holding the USAS 12 Daewoo, did you get a chance to shoot it?

Regards,
P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:59 am

Nice going TC they make decent weapons ROck Armory etc ...maybe IOF can learn from them

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:29 am

That show does look like a lot of fun! Lots of nice toys and plenty of smiling folks for conversations! Thanks for sharing these pics!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:34 am

TC,
It looks like you had a blast at that show.
Love the AR type SBR's. Tell us more TC.
Thanks for posting them

pistolero wrote: I see you holding the USAS 12 Daewoo, did you get a chance to shoot it?
Unless i'm missing a photo I don't see the USAS12.
The rifles that TC is holding look like regular AR type rifles with a BetaMag type drum.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:18 pm

xl_target wrote:TC,
It looks like you had a blast at that show.
Love the AR type SBR's. Tell us more TC.
Thanks for posting them

pistolero wrote: I see you holding the USAS 12 Daewoo, did you get a chance to shoot it?
Unless i'm missing a photo I don't see the USAS12.
The rifles that TC is holding look like regular AR type rifles with a BetaMag type drum.
Thanks XL.
Yes I did have a blast, literally, at the temporary firing range set up behind the pavilion. Dealers and customers could test fire weapons of their choice. But I could not ask anyone to take snaps of me. Photography was not allowed because I guess they did not want people to use flash in that indoor range.
Basically the exhibition is an annual affair in Philippines where gun culture is quite similar to the US. They told me distributors and country representatives of all big companies had set up stalls at the pavilion. Here's another photo. There were a few more but I cant find them. In fact I had lost these pics we well.

I don't know how things are now but when I visited people in Philippines took pride in gun ownership and they loved to talk and discuss guns,something I didn't see during my visits to other countries in the region. On the night I landed in Manila, it was pretty late when I reached the business school. The restaurant had closed. So I walked over to a McDonalds outlet across the street. It was not very crowded and I saw a security guard standing at the door. The first thing I noticed was the Smith and Wesson revolver on his leather holster. The gun was shining and so was the leather. The man was in his 50s. The way he wore his uniform, the way he stood and looked around and the angle at which the holster was positioned made made it apparent that this man knew his business. I could literally feel that he could teach a few things to me.
Philippines was fun. The Geepneys, small and medium taxis and buses made out of old WWII jeeps and trucks left behind by the Allies at bases in Asia, are national symbols of Philippines. The karaoke bars used to be the most popular night destinations for the young and old alike. Philippinos love Rock, Pop, Jazz and Blues and most people I met at one of these bars one evening sang unbelievably well against the tracks.

Coming back to the gun show... I shot an M16 A2 sporter that a military officer was firing in front of me. He seemed to like the rifle very much so although I was not a buyer ( :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: ) I tried half a mag in it. It was simply fantastic. It was the first time I fired an M16.
After this, a dealer who had become a friend almost instantly insisted that I try out an Daewoo 5.56 mm rifle and an Israeli 9 mm pistol, a clone of the Tanfoglio. Both weapons felt good, well-balanced and had easy to reach controls. When I did a two inch group with the pistol at 20 mts my new friend was ecstatic. "Why cant you take this with you?" he asked thrice. And I almost broke down in tears... well almost :(
He gave me a nice parting gift. A baseball cap from the Israeli Military Industries (IMI) official merchandise. He is a great guy, and so are all the others you see in the pics.

:cheers:
TC
Last edited by TC on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Moin. wrote:Looking very handsome TcDa. :)... Are you sure this was 2001 ? or 1981 really :) :) you are looking quite young in the pics... just old enogh to drive. :)
Thanks Moin. I always look young in disguise :lol:

TC
striker wrote:nice pics :-)
Thanks Striker

TC
pistolero wrote:The One thing I do love about the Philippines is the fact that you can go to any Range and get to shoot the most awesome weapons that we Indians can only dream off. :D

I had fun with the SAIGA 12 when I was there last time, I see you holding the USAS 12 Daewoo, did you get a chance to shoot it?

Regards,
P

His Pistolero, seeing you here after a long time. Yes, Philippines is a Mecca for gun lovers. But the rifle I am holding is a Colt AR receiver and barrel fitted with an aftermarket forearm/barrel shroud and drum magazine. XL is right.

TC
ngrewal wrote:Nice going TC they make decent weapons ROck Armory etc ...maybe IOF can learn from them

Thanks Navi, I wish IOF learnt a few things at least from Pakistan :lol:
TC
timmy wrote:That show does look like a lot of fun! Lots of nice toys and plenty of smiling folks for conversations! Thanks for sharing these pics!
Thanks you so much Timmy. You are right .... toys toys everywhere but not a single to bring back home :lol:

TC

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Your are so lucky TC.thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us.
regards
dr.jk

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:20 pm

How does one immigrate to the Philippines?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Wow!! very nice pictures and writ up about your trip. For sure you smile says everything about gun show.

Thanks for shearing these pictures with all of us.

Baljit

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 pm

:D "Marry a Filipina" :D
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 am

pistolero wrote:Re: The Gun Show at Manila, Philippines, 2001

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 pm

:D "Marry a Filipina" :D
ROTFL - Good one!

Thanks very much TC for sharing images and your fun expereince at the Manila Gun Show.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:44 pm

essdee1972 wrote:How does one immigrate to the Philippines?
Dear brother, Pistolero has already answered your question ROTFL . The women are pretty, that all I can say ROTFL

TC