Allahabad High Court critical of strict gun licencing policy

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Arms licenses granted, refused without any rhyme or reason

Post by pran80 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:25 am

All,

Attached is a copy of the order by H'onble Justice SU Khan of Allahabad high court on the petition filed by Mr Pawan Kumar Jha against the refusal of grant of arms licence.

Below is the press coverage of the same -

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_ar ... rt_1480826

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Arms licenses granted, refused without any rhyme or reason

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 am

The Allahbad H.C. order is brief to the point and says it all. So now we have a recourse, also a landmark precedent.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Absolutely beautiful!! :D It is refreshing to see that the Hon'able Court has seen the evils of the "system" and give such orders.
Anand :D :D

ven99
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ven99 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm

great judgement , i think we should take one step ahead and and file a wp for revoking the arms policy ...
regards
amr

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:24 pm

The order says that who so ever applies for an arms licence should be given unless there is any criminal case pending against the applicant. This is a very clear decision . And a very good one. :)
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:00 am

Bravo ! :clap:
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Allahbad HC rules in favour of licenses for all

Post by mundaire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm

See the attached scan of the article. Would be great if one of the members could post an English translation here.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Allahbad HC rules in favour of licenses for all

Post by pran80 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Abhijeet,

I had posted a copy of the order in the below topic.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12232

Cheers,

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:04 pm

:clap: :cheering: :cheers:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm

pran80 wrote:Abhijeet,

I had posted a copy of the order in the below topic.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12232

Cheers,
My bad! :oops: Haven't been very regular on the forum lately, so missed your post. Have merged both threads.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ravi.sharma
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by ravi.sharma » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Good news after a long time, its great to see something good happening for the law abiding citizens in some state, though the point still remanins, whether it would be implemented at route level. Many babu's will be still ignorant to this law.

Cheers

Ravi.
Believing Everybody is Dangerous; Believing Nobody is Very Dangerous..........

SYED833
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SYED833 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:39 pm

In all humility,I would like to know what else could be done.?apart from joining nagri and encouraging others to do so..At a mass all india level,is a PIL in the supreme court not an option,.does it serve any purpose,or can it change the arms act?why nagri does not take a Judicial approach to amend the act?is it the lack of strength in numbers of it's members,or scarcity of finances,,or is it too early for that approach?
Please know that I ask this with the best of intentions.,not to create any contraversy..these were just some doubts I had in mind,doubts to which I have no answers..
Syed..

mamamia
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mamamia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Plaintiff applied for an arm license in 1996
Plaintiff goes to High court for relief in 1998
Plaintiff gets relief from High court in 2010

Overall these Two gentlemen spent 14 years to find some sort of closure to their arms license application.

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Friends,

Take heart !!

While the actions of the Licencing Authorities is largely illegal, as well as the actions of the Home Ministry also being largely illegal and unconstitutional, we must not loose hope.

In a few days NAGRI will be finally making a presentation to the Home Committee, on February 24th at 4 pm to be specific, and we are going as best prepared as possible.

The fact still remains, that the Honorable Home Minister, by issuing executive order in the form of the Arms Rules, has largely negated the very provisions of the Arms Act, which has been passed by both houses of Parliament.

At this juncture I seriously doubt if and when the Home Minister is able to table his amendments on the floor of the House, if it would muster many votes in support of it, such is the opposition to this from almost 100 MPs I have met and talked with.

So in this great Republic we are all part of, we have a Home Minister who is trying to impose his views on a nation, (some would even say dictator) and this is something we will not accept.

Not only do a majority of MPs support our cause, the courts have severally passed various judgements against these actions of the Licencing Authorities.

Together we can fight and reverse this.

Thanking You

Rahoul Rai

President

NAGRI

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:27 pm

skeetshot,
Thanks for the latest info. A lot of us were wondering what was going on with NAGRI. :D
Would it not help in adding to your submissions to the Home Committee, details of any(and all) Cases in various courts that have been granted in favour of the citizen, when the Licensing Authority has decided not to grant licenses?

This could very well add to the "evidence" that not everything is alright with the current situation, let alone, the law being altered to further make it more difficult for the Citizen.

Also the time taken to get justice in this matter can also be highlighted so as to bring about some sort of "fast track" process by the Courts to expedite the said process in case this happens again.

I have posted elsewhere regarding my situation for renewal of Arms License, where it has taken only 3 days to do the verification but it took the officer 66 extra days to sign it, and I have been a licensee since 1996. :roll: The arbitrary powers that the LA is given and the scope for abuse and the ease with which an applicant or a licensee can be given grief must also be highlighted.

All and any new requirements such as "fitness certificate" or such other "paperwork" which does nothing but add to the paperwork must be approved as a requirement by the highest authorities without being introduced by any SHO etc.in order to avoid unneccessary hassle to the applicant. In short, the Law must be adhered to in Spirit as well as action.

All of us appreciate what NAGRI is doing..
Regards,
Anand