Law reg. slugs and buckshot ammo for shotguns

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Anyone interested in Buying Ball-shot ammo for 12 Bore

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 am

I was the one to tell Abhijeet that one can bring back as much ammo as one's licence permits.

This was based on actual experience of a friend from Bangalore and he did not have a problem. This was sometime between August to October 2005. I forget the date. It goes without saying that it was declared at customs.

Here's a pic of one of the actual boxes (I think there was another) that my friend brought the shotshells in.

BTW, Abhijeet, from what I used to read on AR, the ammo limit prescribed by the airlines is 5 kgs and not 2 kgs.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:33 am

Hi

I have mix of Sperical and Rotex balls, but i have decided to retain them as they are more of soveniers. You are right, they are now not legal any more, jst like the LG and SG range. But just for other knowledge they are Brenneke, Elley and Wentern Make. Total no is 7 but i relised that since they are more than 25yr old, it really doesnt make sense to sell and if they dont fire spoil someone's mood.
Sorry for posting it. but thanks for the response
Ali

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm

sa_ali";p="15756 wrote:hi

So after reading the posting and the link provided ,my understanding is that i can get max of 50 cartridge duty free. Now anything above 50 will be duty paid right, but then doesnt one require import permit for that.
One more thing, do they actually check that type ammo it is, i mean i can SG or SSG, Or it has to be no 7 only
Thanks
Ali
Ali,
Your understanding is incorrect,the max permissible at any one time is 50,pl check the baggage rules at
http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/travellers.htm
WRT type of ammo,suggest stick to the law.If LG's etc etc are banned then do not bring them.
Best
Sanjay

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:16 pm

For the last time:-

1.Notification No. G.S.R. 375(E)[June 21, 1980] declared all multiple projectile cartridges in which the size of any or all projectiles was larger than or equal to 5mm as prohibited

2.Notification No. G.S.R. 376(E)[June 21, 1980] prohibited the import of all such cartridges

Both these notifications came into force the day they were published in the Official Gazette

3.Notification No. G.S.R. 378(E) dated June 23, 1980 [No. V 11012/4/80-GPA.V] as amended by GSR 674(E) dated Aug. 29,1983 exempted all licensee's and licensed dealers posessing such cartridges from the provisions of the first notification(Notification No. G.S.R. 375(E)[June 21, 1980] )subject to the conditions that a) they shall be registered with the nearest police station within one month of this notification and that b) they shall be converted to numbered cartridges within 4 years from the date of the publication of this notfication.

Shotgun cartridges loaded with ball or slug are perfectly legal and can be lawfully imported and owned by anybody with a license for a shotgun of that calibre.This would not be a multiple projectile cartridge but a single projectile one.

penpusher

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Ali, It is illegal to try to import what is banned.IFG does not condone nor encourages that behaviour.Please stick to law as suggested by Sanjay and penpusher.

penpusher, thanks for the legal info.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:30 pm

hi
Thanks a all for the info and input, i guess i will stick the rule and when availble get some nice No 7 only.:)

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 am

"No human being has ever been killed by shot of size 6 or smaller and hence the law even in the US requires 6 or smaller shot to be used at shoots where more than one hunter shoots at a time."

I`m absolutely certain that statement is in error - apart from anything else, US Army personnel fighting in the Vietcong tunnels utilised No 7 shot because it was determined that at close quarters the small shot was most lethal.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:58 am

Grumpy,

This information was given to me when I asked why No 6 was the largest shot permitted on plantation hunts. IIRC in some parts of the US it is the largest size allowed even for tough game like turkey in order to minimise human fatalities. No idea why the various DNRs say this but this is, indeed, a rason that they give for mandating 6 as the largest size shot to be used for hunting over here.

Cheers!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Grumpy,
What i read is the no 7 was sometimes used with a ball, a sort of a buck and ball.
But given the exigencies of the situation, those tunnel rats must have used everything from lead to nails to darts??
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:02 am

"What i read is the no 7 was sometimes used with a ball, a sort of a buck and ball.
But given the exigencies of the situation, those tunnel rats must have used everything from lead to nails to darts??"

Absolutely right Asif, they did try all sorts of projectiles and combinations but it was found in testing that at close range No.7 shot alone was as effective as anything.
I have to say that I find the concept of crawling round totally dark tunnels not knowing what might be waiting for you absolutely terrifying. They had to be incredibly brave men.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Law reg. slugs and buckshot ammo for shotguns

Post by snIPer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Shaktiman has Ball , Slug and hollow points for sale.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Grumpy wrote:"No human being has ever been killed by shot of size 6 or smaller and hence the law even in the US requires 6 or smaller shot to be used at shoots where more than one hunter shoots at a time."

I`m absolutely certain that statement is in error - apart from anything else, US Army personnel fighting in the Vietcong tunnels utilised No 7 shot because it was determined that at close quarters the small shot was most lethal.

One must be very careful to make generalizations like this. I have never heard of such a restriction.
While it may be specific to one state, it is not the requirement in any state that I have been in.
Could you specify what state had those requirements? I will try and look them up.

Thanks
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Law reg. slugs and buckshot ammo for shotguns

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm

xl-target, you are absolutely right, such totally incorrect generalizations are made all too often on this forum. Makes one wonder where people find this "information".
That "no-larger-shot than-#6" rule may apply at some private shooting preserves, it may even possibly be a law in a state or two, but it certainly does not apply to the "US".
Another interesting point, no #7 shot is loaded in the US. I seriously doubt the US Army had shot shells loaded with a shot size not normally used or manufactured in the US. US shot sizes jump from #6 to 7 1/2.
Regards.