New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

Post by SMJ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Are you dreaming SMJ ?
Indian Govt compensating.
[emoji38] doesn't hurt to be optimistic, anyway jokes aside it's what they should do.

MODS apologies my bad for wrong info reg the UK hand guns and thanks for the edit

BTW Precihole has delisted Orion and Scorpius from their website now

For Advertising mail webmaster
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:03 pm

I tried surfing through the various rules but I could only find the rules making licensing mandatory for manufacturers instead of end users. Also, retrospective implementation of the law may or may not be valid as we have seen in several cases in India. Request people associated with legal field shed some light on this too.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Nitroex700,

See Schedule I which classifies various arms and Schedule II which details the competent Licensing Authority for each category of Arms.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

mundaire wrote:Nitroex700,

See Schedule I which classifies various arms and Schedule II which details the competent Licensing Authority for each category of Arms.
Read it. This is UGLY indeed. Is it going to be retrospective too? :cry:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm

By retrospective, you mean, what happens to those who currently own .22 airguns and/ or .177 airguns which are over the new 15 ft/lbs limit?

Their possession would now be illegal, unless the owner has a proper license with said airgun(s) endorsed on it.

Penalties would be to the tune of 7 years in jail and a hefty fine, the same as for possessing any other illegal firearm.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:52 pm

mundaire wrote:By retrospective, you mean, what happens to those who currently own .22 airguns and/ or .177 airguns which are over the new 15 ft/lbs limit?

Their possession would now be illegal, unless the owner has a proper license with said airgun(s) endorsed on it.

Penalties would be to the tune of 7 years in jail and a hefty fine, the same as for possessing any other illegal firearm.
So they're going to arrest 10-yr old kids for shooting airguns now.. Just because (Manka)"Aunty Police Bula Legi"..?

Am still not sure where it says the law would be retrospective.. As per Indian Constitution, Fundamental Rights' Article 20(1), ex-post-facto legislation is illegal. That much I know.. That's how that chap Afroz escaped with mere 3 year sentence in Nirbhaya Rape case. Vodafone also managed to wiggle out of Finance ministry's clutches on the same grounds. What makes this different?

dinar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dinar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:22 pm

very disappointing. I am shocked to hear this news. .22 is banned. in politicians ke pass yahi ek kaam bacha tha. :x

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:22 pm

You are getting a little confused here. There is no "crime" in the Arms Act (or any other firearm law anywhere in the world) which is Malum in se (i.e. wrong or evil in itself). These crimes are in fact Malum prohibitum i.e. unlawful act only by virtue of statute/ legislation.

As such, any object can be prohibited by legislation and once that is done, even mere possession of said object can be made a crime, inviting prosecution. There is no crime being committed against anybody, you just happen to be on the wrong side of the law - also commonly called victimless crime, which isn't actually accurate, as the one being prosecuted can be rightly called a victim in many such cases.

www.gunowners.in

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:03 pm

By retrospective, you mean, what happens to those who currently own .22 airguns and/ or .177 airguns which are over the new 15 ft/lbs limit?

Hi Abhijeet, if the law is still to be approved by both houses of parliament then effectively its still not applicable, correct? I suppose as you said it may be just a mere formality but even so until the formality is complete can it still be termed as unlawful possession? Am I right in my understanding or now that its notified in the gazette it has actually become the law?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:11 pm

These are Rules under the Arms Act and not a modification of the Act itself. The government has power to make rules and their notification in gazette means it is the law, unless it is amended/ not approved by parliament, in which case it will be applied in the amended form/ cease to apply (as the case may be).

However, the Arms Rules cannot override any provisions/ definitions contained within the Arms Act itself. In all such cases of conflict between the two, the provisions of the Arms Act will take precedence, though this may require seeking clarification from the courts.

www.gunowners.in

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:28 pm

:roll: blimey! That's crystal clear, thanks for clarifying!

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:13 pm

This law is yet to be ratified,then why fear.Lets see what happens.Shouldnt a requirement of a licence for airguns arise with effect from the date of aproval of this law and NOT before

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:30 am

One thing is clear, these new rules are more restrictive.The cost of application and renewal has sky rocketed.But, what about place of renewal? My dad's licences are from all over the North East, previously you could renew them in our place of permanent residence(we have the authenticity and NOC issued by the various licencing authorities) ,now we have to go every year to the place of issue to get them renewed.please enlighten.Thank you.
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 am

vrohan59 wrote:One thing is clear, these new rules are more restrictive.The cost of application and renewal has sky rocketed.But, what about place of renewal? My dad's licences are from all over the North East, previously you could renew them in our place of permanent residence(we have the authenticity and NOC issued by the various licencing authorities) ,now we have to go every year to the place of issue to get them renewed.please enlighten.Thank you.
I hope your Dad got his 18 digit UID numbers for his arms licences.If so,renewal shouldnt be an issue irrespective of the new law?

ParekSachin91
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ParekSachin91 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 am

Is there an english version of this?