Question on legal angle - for sword at home

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
AryanK
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Question on legal angle - for sword at home

Post by AryanK » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Hello I have a question

Is it legal to buy a sword - there are various available online in India - to keep it at home as a decorative item - or to keep at home - don’t intend to carry it around. The ninja swords etc that are available with a stand.

Would love to get more information on the above and if yes - please do suggest good dealers or place to buy also.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Question on legal angle - for sword at home

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am

Though Our Law has restrictions on keeping and Carrying sharp weapons but it has a lot of loop holes as well. Communities with their religious beliefs can carry or keep swords, daggers and spears as well other sharp weapons.
Many Tribal ethnic groups are also given permits on this matter. Rural areas in some states are also having relaxation for sharp weapons.
As far as its a decorative item and non sharpen, you can keep it at your home as a show piece. its permissible till the best of my knowledge.
mention ur location then only we can give you some info about the dealers or shops.
Regards

Shivaji

AryanK
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by AryanK » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 am

Thank you for the reply. I am from Mumbai.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:18 pm

AryanK wrote:Is it legal to buy a sword - there are various available online in India - to keep it at home as a decorative item - or to keep at home - don’t intend to carry it around.
Please read Section 4 of Arms Act 1959. If a Notification has been issued under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 and that is applicable for your area, then you must read to understand it. Since you live in Mumbai, to know if such Notification is in force for your area you may contact any one of the following -

1. Office of the Commissioner of Mumbai Police
2. Home Department, State Government of Maharashtra
3. Any local lawyer dealing in Arms Act 1959 criminal cases
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992