Why I Like Guns

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Why I Like Guns

Post by m24 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:06 am

Source: http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/0 ... like-guns/

I like guns for the same reasons I like mechanical watches:

1. They don’t require batteries or cables
2. Their function is simple and fairly easy (most of the time) to troubleshoot
3. They require very little maintenance in order to keep running
4. They can be passed down from generation to generation and still function perfectly
5. They don’t require upgrades or the payment of a monthly fee in order to stay functional
6. You don’t need to buy a new model every year because the one you own is now obsolete
7. They have a certain peacefulness to them

I like the 7th point. :) What's your reason??

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Why I Like Guns

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:17 am

Didn't know one had to have a reason. I just realized I had an affliction, and decided to suffer it gladly. But if you need a reason, yours are good ones. Cheers

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 am

(To my rifle)
I love the smell, the stately repose,
the divine grace with seductive menace,
the checkered feel merging with the silky smooth.

I love the way,she mirrors my passion
gracefully balanced, delicately poised,
she awaits with bated breath,
as I caress her trigger.

I love the way, she bucks in my arms,
with my cheek pressed hard against her,
together we ride, as she roars,
gently then I caress her button,
she demurely drops her mag
to be replenished with more.

(to my pistol)
I love her tantrums, when she spews brass,
and yet submits to my passionate grasp.
Spent finally, she slides back and asks
Do you want more?

God! I love guns.

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:42 am

Did you just write a poem on rifles ?? :D

I don't have a gun, but I like them for their equalizing impact and their wonderful looks.

Zake

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Yes Zake :mrgreen:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Did you just write a poem on rifles ?? :D
It is a marvelous poem, if you remove rifle/pistol from it, it is perfectly describing the moments of passion with a lady :D

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Goodboymentor
:mrgreen:

jaypreet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jaypreet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 pm

It gives me a feeling of Secureness

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:57 pm

because I am passionate about them!

SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Because we human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why I like guns,and carrying a gun is a civilized act.
SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword never encountered automatic weapons !

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Someone once asked a famous mountaineer that why he climbs mountains, his answer was “Because they are there”. I love guns, because they are there.

A similarity between a girlfriend and gun:

When they are with you, they are faithfull :wink: , otherwise........ they are ....... :twisted: (you know well :mrgreen: )

cheers,
tingriman