Can anyone please share opinion

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Can anyone please share opinion

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Can anyone please share opinion, what might have actually happened? Does it mean that when the magazine was hit by bullet, the impact violently broke the magazine causing each of the cartridges in it to fly out like metallic splinters of a bomb or it caused the powder in the cases of each cartridge in the magazine to blast?
But a bullet hit my loaded AK-47 magazine. It exploded in my face. I lost consciousness
Reference: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 783125.cms

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can anyone please share opinion

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

both scenarios possible-bullet hit his mag and sent multiple splinters into his face and eye
or
one or more rounds of loaded ammo in mag exploded and caused the damage. Would need a forensic pathologist/ ordnance man to figure out this tangle...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I remember reading something on Box of truth probably along the lines of this.
If I do remember correctly the ammo did not cook off, but the magazine was shot to hell.
I would say the magazine reacting violently to the impact is plausible, though not sure about ammo.

GAURAV SONDHI
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by GAURAV SONDHI » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:31 pm

I would tend to agree with Eljefe both situations are possible The bullets can go off as well

Drunknhappy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Drunknhappy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:56 am

Unlikely, NEWS AND FACTS ABOUT GUNS do not go together. Most reporters call every gun an AK-47 and every gun with a scope a sniper rifle. If you have a .50 cal its anti aircraft/ anti tank gun. It is also unlikely the jawan knows what happended as it could be shrapnel from any part of the gun and as the report says he lost his vision after that making it impossible for him to know what happened.