Celebratory gunfire - a potential safety hazard!

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Celebratory gunfire - a potential safety hazard!

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 am

indiaone wrote:However, at least one country is ahead of us in celebratory firing. Some years ago, while posted in Europe I came across a case in Serbia, where Celebratory fire at a wedding taking place in the Church compound brought down a 2 seater light aircraft flying overhead.
Not just one country but many countries are ahead of India in matters of celebratory firing of guns. It includes Pakistan, the middle east and many more countries. If you search YouTube, will find many such videos. Such videos have also been posted earlier on this website.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

For Advertising mail webmaster
indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Sir,
Did any of them brought down an aircraft

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 pm

indiaone wrote:Sir,
Did any of them brought down an aircraft
Sir, fully agree with you. But if how many countries are ahead in "celebratory gunfire", there are many. "celebratory gunfire" though certainly a safety hazard and not something to celebrate about, is pretty much prevalent in many countries.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm

I agree. However, In India the ban is not easy to enforce. So it is better that the Government through the media propagate the idea that blanks should be used. In fact, blank cartridges of all common caliber should be allowed import under the OGL and due publicity of the same needs to be given.Unfortunately, the media is more interested in promoting the view point of the anti gun lobby.The statistics of State wise breakup of gun license is a first page lead item. However, it is never publicised how many murders and crimes are committed by using illegal firearms and how mmany with licensed arms.Sorry for deviating from the main topic.

ritamrudra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ritamrudra » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:43 pm

After going through the posts in this thread, I will just stress on one point - India is a country with very strict gun laws - irresponsible behaviour with firearms will always pave the way for our babus to site these incidents to take guns out of the the hand of civilians altogether. that is what I feel. I would urge all fellow IFGans to come out openly against any such behaviour, so that it does not become any further difficult for us civilians to procure a license.