.22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Yes, the Models 60 and 70PSS are essentially the same Dev - yours is blued with a high capacity tube magazine whereas mine is stainless steel with the stumpy, take-down barrel and removable mag. If I remember rightly the Model 60 is the best selling .22lr rifle in the world.
I`ve used plenty of CCI Mini Mags in my time - they`re........OK. The CCI Stinger and Quik Shok are definitely .22 lr `Magnums` ( `Hyper Velocity` is the actual term ) but neither is a long range cartridge because the 32 gr bullets shed energy very rapidly. By 50 yards CCIs 40 gr Velocitor ( also a `Hyper Velocity` cartridge ) has more retained energy than the Stinger or Quik Shok ( by 15 ft lbs ). At 100 yards the Velocitor has 23 ft lbs more energy than the Stinger or Quik Shok but itself has been overtaken by the Eley HV 40 gr Solid ( `Only` a `High` velocity cartridge ) which retains 26 ft lbs more energy than the Stinger but is much quiter than the Stinger/QS/Velocitor. In fact at 100 yards the Stinger and Quik Shok only make 2 ft lbs more energy than Eleys SUBSONIC 40 gr hollowpoint Extra Plus. As the Eley subsonic makes no more noise than an air rifle when used with a moderator, is far quieter than the Stinger/QS anyway and is designed to transfer energy more efficiently at low velocity it is a much better long range cartridge than the Stinger or QS.
The Stinger and Quik Shok are definitely short range - below 25/30 yard - cartridges. Above that range use the Velocitor ( if you can get them - supplies seem to be much harder to locate even in the US ) but for long range - 100 yards - the Eley HV Solid is THE cartridge to use.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 pm

dev";p="25515 wrote:Thanks Mack The Knife, I normally clean up after twenty five rounds and when I was younger and more fanatical even after two shots.
Just a note of caution but it has been reported by many a shooter that many a rimfire bore has been worn down by excessive cleaning rather than from shooting. Grumps, what's your take on this?

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Yes, .22lr cleaning should be done when necessary - not after every use. .22 rf bores get fouled with bullet lube mostly but also with a little lead - and a tiny amount of copper if using plated bullets. They`re not like a centrefire where copper and lead get deposited quite rapidly. ( My least favourite is the .22-250 which seem to need a heck of lot of cleaning.......and makes a heck of a flash/bang........Goodness knows what a .22 swift is like ! )
You always have to be particularly careful with small bores as they ARE more prone to cleaning damage - especially the neck of the chamber. When even the rim thickness of a .22 rf cartridge can affect accuracy you can guarantee that chamber damage is going to really ruin your day. There`s much more in the way of metal - particularly iron and steel - particles than you might imagine in the general environment - indoors and out. Try tieing a magnet to a piece of string and trailing it around for a couple of hours - you`ll be surprised at the amount of filings that will be attached.
As Dodger says, clean when the accuracy starts to go off - which can be as much as 500 shots. Cleaning muck out of the action and mag ( not so critical with a tube mag ) might have to be done more often. There`s no doubting that .22 lr bullet lube does get spread around......and gets other muck stuck to it.