Mohamedally Noorbhoy Arms catalog from 1935

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
hathubha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Mohamedally Noorbhoy Arms catalog from 1935

Post by hathubha » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 am

During a recent attic clean up, I discovered a wonderful copy of the Mohamedally Noorbhoy arms and ammunition catalog for the year 35-36. It was great to see detailed descriptions of some of the Raj era exotic weapons and their pricing at that time. Westley Richards, Winchester, Holland and Holland, Manlicker and many many more with excellent illustrstions.

For Advertising mail webmaster
chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Mohamedally Noorbhoy Arms catalog from 1935

Post by chicky » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:05 am

Wonderful find, may I request you to upload some photos of the same. I am sure everyone in IFG would be delighted.

Thanks

Chicky
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

hathubha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by hathubha » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:23 pm

20160116_140258.jpg
20160116_140235.jpg
20160116_140140.jpg
20160116_140118.jpg
20160116_140246.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Hathubha,

A fascinating find and many thanks for sharing these images with us. If there are any other interesting material, please do share.

BTW, the photos are difficult read and a bit blurred. Is it possible to scan the catalogue and convert it into a PDF file and post it? It will be such a terrific reference catalogue for the enthusiasts. Just an idea. Thanks again.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 am

That was awesome, thanks for uploading. Take care of this book , it's a treasure.
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:50 am

Dear EVery one,

On the onset let me introduce myself SALIM BANDUKWALA as the last proprietor owner of Mahomedally Noorbhoy Established 1857 BOMBAY Mumbai India. I was in the seventh generation of Mahomedally Noorbhoy. I sold the store in 1987. And soon immigrated to Canada in 1994. I had many of these catalogues with me though lost on my move. I am so happy that the catalogue is still in good hands.

Mahomedally Noorbhoy was the first ARMS and AMMUNITION Store established in 1857. Followed by ABDOOLALLY NOORBHOY (Largest Importer of Arms and Amunitions) Abdoolally Noorbhoy also related from my Maternal side. All of the arms and ammunition was imported. Sold mostly to the Maharajahs all over India.

This included Bhavnagar ..... Nawabs of Hyderabad.......

I would love to lay my hands on this catalogue. Even if be a XEROXED copy. I would pay for it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vishnu2017 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Awesome find, its a treasure keep it safely, good luck.
DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED (y) :D

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 am

I have a similar catalog from M/s Goolamhusain Alibhoy and Sons, from the same circa. It is a great reminder of our country and its wealth and prosperity and the golden days of shooting sports . In it there are guns for Rs rs 25/- upto Rs 3500/-.

Shiv22
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Shiv22 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Veeveear,

Thanks for sharing.. interesting very nice to see.. scan to pdf and share..👏👌

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:41 pm

veeveeaar wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 am
I have a similar catalog from M/s Goolamhusain Alibhoy and Sons, from the same circa. It is a great reminder of our country and its wealth and prosperity and the golden days of shooting sports . In it there are guns for Rs rs 25/- upto Rs 3500/-.
You will be doing a favour if you could convert this to a PDF file and share it here. Thank you.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 am

Very cool blast from the past gents; thanks for sharing! Look forward to more such scans from veeveeaar and others who have access to such treasures! :D

Thanks for chipping in with the authentic connection Banduksb, we appreciate it. (y) Any interesting stories from your time in business would be welcome too.

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks CKKALYAN.

I like your Post Note: “When guns Are outlawed, outlaws will have guns”

All through during doing business at the arms stores I came across all types of customers. This included the mafias and ....... but most interesting of all customers was a CHAMBAL ka DAKOO...... a reformed one. He had surrendered under the program given forgiveness by the then PM Mr V.P.SINGH. In exchange he was also given a (hand gun license). On the onset I was uncomfortable on a hunch to sell him a gun. But he was persistent and politely demanded that I should sell him a gun. I did not want to deny him the right to own a gun. After all it was his constitutional right. Besides he had a valid gun license. In order to clear my doubts I asked him to leave his arms license with me and come back after a week. The license was verified with the Arms Department. The sale was made soon.

We came closer. He disclosed who really was. Now a law abiding Indian Citizen. How he had made up his mind to buy the weapon from the BEST and most established Arms Dealer ..... he wanted to have a weapon from clean hands. WoW. He disclosed some of his secrets. Interesting.

Over the years I did come across many more ......

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Love it!! Pls scan it and pls convert to PDF this is such an awesome reference guide! Holland and Holland Rs.3300/- in 1935 when could buy a lot of land in Mumbai for that money I guess.

Banduksb, would love to hear your stories! Also how did your family decide to choose this trade? would be very interesting to know Sir.

Loved it!
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:33 pm

pistolero wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm
Banduksb, would love to hear your stories! Also how did your family decide to choose this trade? would be very interesting to know Sir. Loved it!

Same here. I would love to hear your stories.

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Here I am again talking about my ancestral arms and ammunition business.

It was a sad decision. But one that had to be taken. The business had gone down to almost ZERO. Left with very small sales in sundries like airguns, gun oils ...... It did not justify the huge investment in property. There was no way to justify the 5 floors of prime store area in the centre of a bazaar.

The decision was mine and mine alone. I was the sole owner of the business. I could not find any reason to continue. Though I tried hard to keep going. It took up a lot of my time from my other much more profitable multi million dollar businesses. Mostly manufacturing where I would be very involved.

My final decision to wind up everything was after the Babri Masjid incident. I did not see a future in India. I took a decision ( a very hard one ) to immigrate. Here I and my family live happily. Children very well educated and well placed in life. In peace with everything in life. Now the best decision I ever made.

But whatever I am still an Indian at heart.

Wishing you all the best. Take care in these trying time of the CON-VIRUS epidemic.