Mohamedally Noorbhoy Arms catalog from 1935

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Mohamedally Noorbhoy Arms catalog from 1935

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Really its a excellent find about the Golden Era..
Regards

Shivaji

For Advertising mail webmaster
Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Vikram wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:33 pm
pistolero wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm
Banduksb, would love to hear your stories! Also how did your family decide to choose this trade? would be very interesting to know Sir. Loved it!

Same here. I would love to hear your stories.

I start ...... Once upon a time...... long long time ago......
My first grandfather was a KIRANA DEALER. His name POPATLAL. (HINDU)
His grandchild MAHOMEDALLY Noorbhoy came to BOMBAY.
EUSUFALLY was the Father of both Mahomedally Noorbhoy and Abdoolally Noorbhoy.
Abdoolally came to Bombay at a later date.

At first the business started with buying Fire Crackers from Rajasthanies bring them in baskets on Head loads across the Pydhonie And Dhobi Talaos (places still existing). Soon traded in gun powder (natural growth) and soon into arms and ammunition (hand made guns also made by Rajasthanis)

It was only in 1857 when the Great Mutiny of 1857 against the British Raj that the demand for arms increased by the Maharajahs of India. To defend against being overthrown in probable absence of the British Raj. The British were in favour of the Maharajahs to be armed. This was a great business opportunity for my Great Grandfather ( a shrewd Marwari trader ) to enter the business of IMPORTING ARMS & AMMUNITIONS.

The first imports were soon done from ICI NOBLE. England. Also muzzle loading guns. By the year 1927 the business had grown and new shop was to be found. A tin shed structure along with the land was bought for a handsome sum of 1500 Indian Rupees. To start with the great grandfather started to clean up the place ( coal a dirty commodity to clean up). But Lady Luck was about to strike. While cleaning putting his hand in a rat hole he got hold of a purse of 2500 Rupees. This was enough to construct a beautiful building of a high ottla and marble floors. Soon the 5 floor building was furnished with Burma teak GUN CUPOARDS. The Main Door was solid Teak with polished brass fittings. The upper 2 floors were used to store the sturdy strong arms wooden crates. I remember from my childhood that our GHATTIES (MAHARSTRAIN STRONG MEN) were supervised by the partners to see that the marble granite flooring was not scratched.

PS: The Mahomedally Noorbhoy catalog did have a picture of the building. Please post it.

To be continued......... after a break..... please do not go away. :D :D

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Amazing background. Will be waiting eagerly for the next instalment.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:19 am

Banduksb wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm
Thanks CKKALYAN.
I like your Post Note: “When guns Are outlawed, outlaws will have guns”

All through during doing business at the arms stores I came across all types of customers. This included the mafias and ....... but most interesting of all customers was a CHAMBAL ka DAKOO......He disclosed some of his secrets. Interesting.
Over the years I did come across many more ......
Thank you Banduksb for your kind comment and sharing your amazing real-life stories! (y) I am sure you have only whetted our appetite. :D

Looking forward to more such exciting tales.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Continued......2

Since I am on the subject : The STORE FRONT DOOR.

Behind the STRONG FRONT DOOR was a steel grill pull shutter. This grill shutter was pulled during Lunch time 1pm to 3pm and Closing time. Both times were religiously kept. No matter what. I remember one day I as usual gone to the store to give my father a ride home. The grill as usual was partly pulled at 6 PM. A gun dealer from Kanpur had come for purchase of imported ammunition etc. My father refused to do any business since he had closed the accounts for the day. He was told to come tomorrow. I was at that time very surprised of his attitude. While waiting for the main doors to be closed shut I argued with him : Said “Dad this is not the way to do business ..... he will go to my grandfathers store just next door.” He replied “Son do not worry ..... business will come with the Grace of Allah if He wishes..... but tell me how am I going to account for the monies since the days account is closed.”

I was very upset. And I did not want to get into a big argument with him.

Next morning when again as usual dropped him off at the store...... I saw the same customer waiting for the store to open. My father smiled. I smiled too, for I had learnt a lesson of my life. Following this I had changed my attitude. Leaving everything to the WILL OF ALLAH.

Sorry for having talked about religious beliefs here. Thank you.

to be continued .......

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm

hathubha wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:23 pm
20160116_140258.jpg20160116_140235.jpg20160116_140140.jpg
20160116_140118.jpg
20160116_140246.jpg
Dear Hathubba,

Please post the Mahomedally Noorbhoy BUILDING Picture from the catalogue.

Thanks.

hathubha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by hathubha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi Salim, I apologize for the delay in responding to you. I still have the catalog in my possession, and will try and get you a digitized copy as soon as I am able to get back to work and access a decent copy machine. I am in the US and currently we are all mostly confined to working from home. Good to read about you and your family!
V. Singh

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Fri May 01, 2020 12:01 am

Hathuba,
I do not know how to thank you. But I will THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You are giving me back my heritage. I am in Toronto Canada. Thank you once again.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri May 01, 2020 12:24 am

hathubha wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 pm
Hi Salim, I apologize for the delay in responding to you. I still have the catalog in my possession, and will try and get you a digitized copy as soon as I am able to get back to work and access a decent copy machine. I am in the US and currently we are all mostly confined to working from home. Good to read about you and your family!
V. Singh

It would be nice if you could also share the digital copy here. Thanks in advance.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."