Grandpa’s dual set trigger rifle

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
kanwarsandhu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Grandpa’s dual set trigger rifle

Post by kanwarsandhu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello everyone, I just got a rifle from my grandfather. It’s been in our family since 1967, my grandfather purchased it from an army officer for 2000 rupees. Can anyone help my with make, calibre and price of this rifle in todays market. I have attached some photos. Thanks! in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Grandpa’s dual set trigger rifle

Post by Vikram » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

That is an exceedingly interesting rifle. Looks like a Mauser actioned rifle. Could you please post clearer photographs of all the markings on the rifle and full length ones too? Cheers.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi, do you have cartridges for this rifle?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Yes cartridges can tell the caliber of rifle. Caliber would also be endorsed on the arms license. Markings on the rifle can also give indication of the caliber. Most probably this is German rifle.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes, Berlin is engraved on this rifle so most probably its German. By the built it is a variant of Mauser98 or its cousin. If you have rounds/cartridges that can solve most of the riddle.

kanwarsandhu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kanwarsandhu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 am

Vikram wrote:That is an exceedingly interesting rifle. Looks like a Mauser actioned rifle. Could you please post clearer photographs of all the markings on the rifle and full length ones too? Cheers.
Hello sir, these photos were clicked by my previous phone in which these are much clearer but as the phone is not with me, so I was sent these photos on Whatsapp which reduced the clarity of the pictures.
sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Yes, Berlin is engraved on this rifle so most probably its German. By the built it is a variant of Mauser98 or its cousin. If you have rounds/cartridges that can solve most of the riddle.
On license it is .275 bore and similar cartridges also, engraving on rifle is “ EMIL ADAM BERLIN W.8 ” , maybe the name of person to whom it was issued.

kanwarsandhu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kanwarsandhu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am

Grandpa told me that what’s special about this rifle is the barrel, the design of it is something special it is not round on top, machining is different than usual rifles.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:54 am

kanwarsandhu wrote:On license it is .275 bore and similar cartridges also, engraving on rifle is “ EMIL ADAM BERLIN W.8 ” , maybe the name of person to whom it was issued.

It most likely is a 7X57 (which was called .275 Rigby in the UK). Would really help to see the markings on the rifle.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 am

Emil Adam was a German gun maker and made some very interesting guns including combination and drilling...

here is a link to a combination gun made by Emil
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... ombination

Very nice Mauser made by Emil Adam, can't make out from the picture but I am assuming the barrel is half Octagon half round with a solid rib, which is a very interesting and expensive upgrade.

.275 / 7x57 is a legendary caliber and the rifle looks like it has been well maintained.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am

Nice rifle , needs some TLC
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

kanwarsandhu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kanwarsandhu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 am

herb wrote:Emil Adam was a German gun maker and made some very interesting guns including combination and drilling...

here is a link to a combination gun made by Emil
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... ombination

Very nice Mauser made by Emil Adam, can't make out from the picture but I am assuming the barrel is half Octagon half round with a solid rib, which is a very interesting and expensive upgrade.

.275 / 7x57 is a legendary caliber and the rifle looks like it has been well maintained.
Yes sir it is indeed a well maintained rifle, it has been fired for not more than 50 times since last 40 years. Thank you! For letting me know about EMIL ADAM , always knew it is a very rare and special rifle. I’ll post more pictures in few days sir so that you can tell about the barrel type.
captrakshitsharma wrote:Nice rifle , needs some TLC
Sir I’m new here and I have less knowledge of firearms , what is meant by TLC sir ?

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:36 pm

It is indeed an interesting rifle. I would love to hear about how your grandfather got this rifle and stories of this rifle. Please post about it in detail.

Regards

Machoman
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Machoman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:39 pm

i have a similar mauser with rifle semi octagonal barrel full rib ,8x57 made by JP Sauer and Sohn.

kanwarsandhu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kanwarsandhu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Machoman wrote:i have a similar mauser with rifle semi octagonal barrel full rib ,8x57 made by JP Sauer and Sohn.
Can you please share pictures sir

Rover solomon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Rover solomon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 am

OMG... I can't believe my eyes