Shaktiman Ball cartridge

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Belgian collector
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Shaktiman Ball cartridge

Post by Belgian collector » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:55 am

Greetings/ Namaskar/ Salam from Europe . On a visit to India , a local associate showed me some 12 bore shotgun cartridges , loaded with a single spherical ball . The company of the cartridges were called Shaktiman . The design intrigued me . So l wanted to ask a question . Are these Shaktiman ball cartridges safe to use with say , a fully choked shotgun ? Also , how long have these 12 gauge ball cartridges ( of any brand ) been manufactured in India ?
Please pardon my ignorance , as l am a foreigner to your country . My associate owns a side by side shotgun called an " IOF 12 bore dbbl " which looked pretty old but well maintained . It looked similar to a BSA shotgun l have in my collection.
Does anyone here know what the chokes are , on an IOF 12 bore side by side gun ? Were they fully choked in both the barrels ?
Regards
Mr. H . Florienti

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Shaktiman Ball cartridge

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:58 pm

I have used Shaktiman ball cartridges. Should be used only in guns with 2 3/4" or more chambers. Accuracy is by approximation. Try them on a target from different distances to find out what kind of accuracy one is getting. I kept mine under 20 yards. To shoot out of full choke, better check if the ball falls through the barrel.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Belgian collector
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Belgian collector » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Thank you , Mr. Vikram . Do you know anything about IOF 12 bore side by side shotguns and what chokes were on the barrels ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Belgian collector wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:47 pm
Thank you , Mr. Vikram . Do you know anything about IOF 12 bore side by side shotguns and what chokes were on the barrels ?
I have never seen an IOF SXS in person. Let's see if someone who had the opportunity replies. I will ask a gunsmith friend.

Also, the Shaktiman ball cartridges come in different shapes, one of which is particularly strangely shaped and almost useless.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 pm

I had seen a IOF double barrel several years ago, both barrels looked similar at the muzzel end so I assume they did not have any chokes

Belgian collector
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Belgian collector » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:33 am

Thank you so much , Mr. Riflemarksman . So l am assuming that the IOF 12 bore dbbl had cylinder barrels