Customer service at its best.

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Customer service at its best.

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:55 pm

It all started on 27th May when I ordered a 7' 3-piece Temple Fork Outfitter spinning travel rod from www.burfish.com The rod was despatched on the 28th and cleared Bombay customs by noon on the 30th.

The postwoman finally brought the rod around this morning. My delight at finally receiving the rod evaporated when I was asked to pay the duty amount of Rs.1,698.00 That's 27.96% on the total, including shipping, instead of the 17.5% that they are supposed to charge. I will be writing to postal customs for a refund but I won't hold my breath.

I eagerly open the package and there is a further disappointment in store. Burfish have sent me a casting rod instead of a spinning rod and since I don't fish with a casting outfit I don't have a casting reel at hand either.

It gets worse... This evening I noticed that the feet on one of the guides did not have the epoxy over the thread bindings.

After receiving the rod in the morning I had sent Burfish.com the following e-mail:

Dear Mike,

Although the rod cleared Indian customs at Bombay on 30th May, I only received it today.

Whilst there is nothing you could do about the delay, I am sorry to say that I have been sent the wrong rod.

As you can see from your e-mail below, I had ordered a spinning rod (TFS-703H) but instead of this I have been sent a casting rod (TFC-703H). Sending it back is not an option as I would have to pay postage and the customs duty once again for the replacement rod. To make matters worse, I would now need to order a casting reel as I have never used a casting rod and reel.

Regards,

Mack The Knife

This was followed by another e-mail from me regarding the absence of the epoxy:

Dear Mike,

I am sorry to add to the string of woes but I was taking another look at the rod and now find that one of the guides does not have the epoxy coating on the guide feet wrappings. Picture attached for your reference.

Could you please advice me what epoxy I should use to cover the thread wrappings.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Shortly after this I receive an e-mail from Burfish.com

Mack The Knife,

Sorry for the problem... we'll ship the TFS-703H rod today .. I'll send it as a Gift so there should not be any custom charges.

As for the Casting rod just keep it... No charge... maybe someone can use it... I would use a 5 minute flex coat epoxy to cover the threads... if we had some I would send it to you.... you can also use clear finger nail polish... it might require 3 or 4 coats.

Sorry again for the mistake.

Sincerely,

mike burleson
www.burfish.com
burleson sporting co

To date only two other companies have shown such exemplary customer service - Weihrauch and Robin Hewitt of Combro (cb-625 chronoscope fame). Whilst the majority of businesses can afford to make such a gesture, they rarely do and it is heartening to know that business is still a gentleman's game...sometimes.

For Advertising mail webmaster
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Customer service at its best.

Post by art_collector » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Thats indeed the best customer service . There is always a lot to learn and such examples are indeed rare. I am really impressed.

AC

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

I am new to this. What is the difference between Spinning rod and Casting rod?

-Tirtha

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Here you go, Tirtha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_rod

"Unlike bait casting and spin casting reels, the spinning reel hangs beneath the rod rather than sitting on top, and is held in place with a sliding or locking reel seat."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 pm

All's well that ends well.... :)

Good to hear that.. so should i go ahead or you wanna edit it :wink:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:24 am

WOW!! Thats very courteous and great customer service. Its the best feeling to finally get the real thing u want even after some hassles or delays..
Cheers and happy fishing
MSandhu

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:00 am

Inder, I will need to edit the Cabelas order. I am waiting for Darran to recommend a bait-casting reel. Will let you know in a couple of days.
Its the best feeling to finally get the real thing u want even after some hassles or delays..
That's true but by the time I got Mike's e-mail I was already eager to learn another aspect of fishing, so in my case the extra rod (already sent as per the USPS notification e-mailed to me) is just the icing on the cake.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 am

I don't want to sound primitive, but if you do not have a bait casting reel I'd suggest getting a "spin cast" reel instead.

Bait cast reels are the biggest PITA's as far as I'm concerned. They are sure popular so I thought it was just me, so I bought a rather expensive one to really find out and sure enough, the reels are simply a pain to use compared to most everything else.

Now spin cast reels are the easiest thing to use next to a cane pole! So if you don't have one get one of those and you can loan it to first time fishermen and they'll be making nice casts in about 3 or 4 minutes.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Excellent Service..
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Mark: As to bait casting reels, second that motion. Except for deep water fishing, but then you don't have to cast with them. Be hard to reel in a 100 pound halibut with a spinning reel, though it's been done when they follow the salmon and get close to the surface and scarf up your salmon lure and bait.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Mark, those spin cast reels just don't look right to me and besides which I really would like to learn using the casting reel.

When I said I hadn't fished with a casting outfit, that isn't exactly true because I did use a casting reel on the Cauvery in September 2006 for two sessions and did not have a single birds nest. Granted that did not involve continuous casting as we were ledgering for mahseer and I do expect to have a few birds nest and am prepared to accept that. With the wind really picking up at Forbes, I have had wind knots using spinning tackle recently but that's all part and parcel of the game.

I will be at Forbes this Saturday with a borrowed casting reel and will let you guys know how it goes. I am taking Inder along to sort out the birds nests whilst I continue fishing with my spinning outfit. :mrgreen:

Actually, GG and I were thinking of trying our hands with baitcasting outfits over a year ago but never got round to it - he received a casting rod that was broken in the post and I was always spending on spinning equipment whenever I got the chance.

Getting this casting rod may just be a good thing after all.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 am

Congrats Mack The Knife courtsey begets positive response. Its fortunate the business owner realised his mistake and mde the ammends.

Cheers

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks, Navdeep.

Incidentally, do you ever wet your line or not? Must be over a year since you bought the fishing tackle but we don't get to hear about it.

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:51 pm

remarkable customer service. anybody listening at ofb

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27 am

Wow, thats great customer service.
However, if you tire of either of the rods, just let me know ;).

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.