A Safari with Westley Richards

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

A Safari with Westley Richards

Post by Vikram » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 am

Before you read this post, I must warn you that this post is quite long and there are a lot of pictures and details to take in. But, I felt editing out any details will compromise the experience and will not do justice to a very fine gun maker. Thank you for reading this post.

“My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary.”

These lines by HW Longfellow aptly summed up my state of mind as I stood on the pavement outside the dingy building X on that cold, windy and rainy autumn morning in Birmingham. My just finished encounter with a petty bureaucrat with the attitude of a “little junkyard dog” (to borrow a phrase from the film “Clear and Present Danger”), left me a great deal gloomier than when I set forth (bleary eyed for want of sleep but bushy tailed in spirits) earlier in the morning. “What do I do, what do I do?” I pondered. Before we proceed further, allow me to provide a little background to my quandary.

As some of you are aware, I had the good fortune to have visited the Holy Trinity, H&H, Purdey and Boss, of the gun making world and share those experiences with you. However, it has been quite sometime I embarked upon a similar expedition. I planned and planned about visiting Dickson-Macnaughton, David Mackay Brown, Churchill etc. Then one day, as I was discussing the .318 WR cartridge with our much Revd.Grumpus Rumpus, it struck me how stupid I have been about not visiting the grand old firm Westely Richards situated right in my neighbourhood, Birmingham. I planned to visit them later in the day after my appointment with the aforesaid bureaucrat. The bitterness post the encounter made me reconsider the planned visit. I did not want to go to one of the best known fine gun makers in a negative mindset. Then I decided, what the heck, it can only get better than what preceded.

It was a bit of an effort to find 130 Pritchett Street on the New Town Row as I was walking. A bit of consulting with the GPS on my N96 and a friendly taxi driver puts me in the right direction. As I neared my destination, a sense of thrill and anticipation began to overtake my sullenness.

( I badly screwed up with the quality of pictures as I forgot to check the auto focus of my camera and it played havoc with the pictures and I lost quite a few good ones :evil: :oops: )

Street view

The first thing I encountered, as I reached the entrance, was a massive skull of an African elephant welcoming you with a Jurassic era-esque prognosis to what is about to unfold within.

Steven Harridence, the show room manager, welcomed me warmly and took me into the main showroom. He very kindly tells me to feel free to explore the place and ask for anything that I may need. It is a beautifully and meticulously appointed place to reflect the rich history and traditions of the firm. WR has a strong connection with the Indian subcontinent and Africa with hunting and later with the revival and rejuvenation of the firm and it is reflected in the wonderful images of an era long gone, preserved in picture frames for posterity.

But the most striking were the pair of tusks the size of a wooly mammoth’s!

Do you want to guess how tall they were? I stood underneath them and raised my hand and I could not touch the tips! I later came to know that they measure 150 lb, a way of measuring ivory. Technicalities aside, when you stand underneath them, the feelings that overtake you are awe and reverence for the beast that bore them. Imagine standing at ten paces from such a behemoth in the wilderness.

Also on the walls mounted were various African game.

When you stand closer to these wall mounts, you are filled with a respect for these magnificent beasts. For someone like me who has never seen an African Cape Buffalo closely or hunted them, the true menacing beauty of their symmetry becomes appreciable and you will understand what it means to get close and hunt them!

Hippo legs!

Then comes the most important question of the tools required to take up the challenge of hunting these beasts.

The Gun Room

As I stood there taking in the artistic splendour of the marriage between wood and steel, Steven called the Gun Room manager Anthony Tregear and introduced him to me. Anthony is just 37 and already has a lot of safari experience under his belt including hunting dangerous game in various African countries and that is reflected in his practical understanding and appreciation of gun designing, calibres and ballistics and conservation. Anthony, between arranging for a shoot for some very important customers later in the day, took a few hours of his time to pick every gun that caught my fancy and discuss it with me and take me around the work shop floor.

Stacks of beautifully arranged shotguns

S In the department of shotguns and double rifles the WR guns can be divided into three types- Their beautiful droplock action, boxlock and sidelock-SXS and Ovundo models.

The gorgeous droplocks. I had the opportunity to take the locks out and examine. The way they were finished is immaculate to say the least.I could hold a 20 Bore O/U between my thumb and index finger at the hinge and it would stand rock solid.That's how well balanced it was!

The Ovundos

Another shameful example of my stupidity in not checking the focus of the camera. I cannot tell you how sorry I am when I found this out.The engraving is so delicately exquisite, I dearly wanted to capture it but failed.

Next come the rifles, bolt action and double rifles-. Most of the rifles are meant for African dangerous game and that is reflected in the calibres-.375 H&H .416 Rigby,.416 Remington,.404 Jefferey,.500 Jeffery,.505 Gibbs etc. Each rifle is a masterpiece, individually built to the customer’s specifications and tastes. On the double rifles, see how beautifully the actions are finished ,especially the elegant curvatures of the side bolsters and the engraving.

Posing with a .416 Rigby.

Again, this time posing with a .577 Holland and Holland.That’s 145,000 GBP or $ 236000!

Tucked nicely into a corner next to a beautifully engraved .416 Rigby, is the exquisitely elegant Hartmann und Weiss chambered in 6.5X55 rimmed cartridge based on a falling block action. As many of you would know, H & W are inarguably among the world’s best gun makers. Photos cannot do any amount of justice to the sheer quality of the build. It can only be appreciated when you hold it in your hands and shoot it. Incredible!The ultimate stalking rifle.

John, this is just for you! :wink:

After that, Anthony enquired if I would like to take a look at the shop floor. Keeping with the evolution of fine gun making, there is an element of CNC machining involved and even the Big Three are no exceptions. However, the machining is restricted to a bare essential minimum and most of the work is done in house by the artisans/craftsmen. It was very heartening to see the age range beginning from early twenties which means that this traditional craftsmanship is going to survive. Another touching aspect was, the pleasure that these gifted yet humble artisans displayed when someone has taken the interest to come see them working and appreciate their creations.

Barrel work under progress

Locks being made

Stocks in the process of drying

Nothing made in the shop floor would pass without the master gunsmith approving it. This is a finished action that was waiting for the inspection. My ineptitude and the lighting ruined the photograph but you can still discern the quality of the engraving here.

And the genius creating such sublime wizardry in metal is a rather unassuming gentleman, Rush.

Next,Anthony led me to “The White Room” where all the guns in varying stages of making are stored. Also kept are the guns awaiting service and repairs. There a quite a few sets of guns and rifles being built and it’s fascinating to observe them in different stages of construction.

What you see here are a set of shotguns in the gauges 8, 12, 28 and .410 all built on scaled actions. That Eight Bore in the white costs just 45,000GBP or $70,000! :wink:

This is a .500 Jeffery rifle under construction

Actions and barrels and stocks awaiting finishing

A set of Double Rifles under construction

Now that we have finished the tour, let me now take you to the pièce de résistance.

There it was, standing proudly and robustly, throwing the gauntlet to the onlooker to come and pick it up, the .700/.577 Nitro Express Westely Richards! When I picked up the .577 HH,I thought “hmm, not so bad as I thought. Quite manageable”. When I picked the artillery piece, my eyes went wide and Anthony sagely observed, “It’s a big old thing, isn’t it?” It was a typical British understatement. Immense is the word. It weighs 18lb and has 25” barrels. I am in no way puny and used to a lot of physical labour. When I hefted it, I could not hold it aloft for more than a few seconds and hold it true onto an aiming point. It is not for the faint of heart and those in want of thews and sinews! The 900 grains bullet delivers 10280 lb energy! There are only two rifles chambered for this cartridge, both WR droplocks.

The one in The White Room
And the one in the Gun Room

The cartridge
The rifle in detail

My face tells it all!

I am not keen on hunting elephants though I understand and approve their hunting from a conservation aspect. But, if I must face up to the mammoth that bore those 150lb tusks, I want to get within ten paces close to it, stand and shoot.. When I do that, I want this cannon in my hands. The tusker deserves no less.

In the end I can confidently say that, Westely Richards guns being made at the moment can match easily the best being produced by H&H,Purdey and Boss. You need to see the quality first hand. The engraving is world class, the wood to metal finish is second to none and the craftsmanship is uncompromising.

The day might have started disastrously, but it ended with an amazingly educative experience. Steven and Anthony went out of their way to make it possible. Thank you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A Safari to Westley Richards

Post by Sakobav » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 am

Vikram

Like always its a pleasure to read your post and what a way to shoot away the blues..You had mentioned this place to me may be on my next visit to Bham Ill or we will make this visit.

Cheers

Navi

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: A Safari to Westley Richards

Post by The Doc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:25 am

Excellent write up and pictures Vikram , an overdose of pleasure . :)

Thank you ,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: A Safari with Westley Richards

Post by joydeepm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:55 am

Vikram ,

at 7:53 in the morning after a hearty breakfast , i saw this post and I felt hungry again . Just cannot stop drooling . Oh man !! it is a different thing that I will NEVER be able to afford any of those beauties .

Great post !!

:cheers:
If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:06 am

Vikram,

I'll commit suicide.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:37 am

Vikram:

Thanks so much for your story and pictures. I am sure nobody would let me into the confines of Westley Richards -- I felt like I was breaking the law by just looking at your pictures! It must have made you feel like a prince, just to look at such magnificent arms, much less hold them!

Thanks for sharing this -- I will have to visit it several times to really grasp it all!

Spectacular, and I really envy your experience.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 am

Vikram,

Very nice tour.....Envy you man.....

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 am

Vikram,
Thank you, sir.
What a magnificent tour! Please don't feel bad about the focus on some of the photos. I'm sure everyone still immensely enjoyed your post. I know I did.
It is extremely heartening to hear that they have younger craftsmen in the shop as it would be such a shame if all that knowledge were to perish. It's great to hear that one of the grand old names in the gun business is still flourishing.
Once again, thank you for your post and photos.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:14 am

Vikram, why do you have to be so cruel to us? :D

I hope you put up pictures of the H&H, Boss and Purdey showrooms as well and make us envy you more.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 pm

For a moment I thought I would see a picture of you standing next to one of the African big five with your WR propped up next to the kill :mrgreen:

Even this is not bad.Pity about the camera though.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm

your piece sir, is a feast for the senses, as always! very enjoyable. makes me itch to apply for a mortgage :mrgreen:
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

arshad_ahmad48
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by arshad_ahmad48 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm

26Oct 2009

I have been watching this over more than 50 times.

Everytime I reach my office I open this post and get lost in dreams.

Thanks Vikram Bhai for taking us on such an empowered tour.

Good Luck
:cpix:
In business, being the first doesn't mean anything. Getting it right is the recipe that defines everything.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Vikram,
God bless you!

Anand

rover12
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rover12 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Truly, Enlightening, Enriching and Educating.... Mere words are not enough! You have done us a great favour!!!

Much appreciated....

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Goddamit Vikram!! Now you owe me a new keyboard, this one just drowned in slobber!! :mrgreen:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)