second fire arm

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
V-C
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

second fire arm

Post by V-C » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:44 pm

hi every one at IFG,
kindky suggest ,which second fire arm should one have Rifle/12 bore shot gun if the Ist one is a hand gun.

For Advertising mail webmaster
captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: second fire arm

Post by captrakshitsharma » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Depends...personal preferences and weapon be put to:

1. If the requirement is still self defense ?( Home defense specifically consdering u own a handgun) then a shot gun.. if u like hunting birds again shotgun(last i knew hunting is banned) Clay pigeon /trap/skeet its again a shot gun....

2.Rifle --- Big bores... hunting big game... or can be used for target shooting but doesn't make sense. You will get em only for love of a big cal rifle or if its special/antique or bespoke gun....

3.Rifle Small bore .22 can be used for varminting but as we know we cant hunt in india...but this rifle suits everyone who wants to indulge in a real gun and a step above high powered adult airguns for plinking/ funshooting . Targets can vary from cans to match style paper targets and the ammo is inexpensive. Perhaps the best suited rifle/ long arm in Indian scenario.

Personally I ' d love to have an Over and Under Perrazi or Beretta Shotty an Anshutz .22 and a Handgun in my Arsenal.... Though i may be really tempted in to a Mauser Action or Mauser Rifle or say a Mannlicher or Anything with a Name like PURDY, HOLLAND & HOLLAND, CHURCHHILL, BOSS etc. May cause breathlessness combined with salivating :D drooling on the weapon and rolled eyeballs :roll:

So no specific answer. It really is personal preferences and use /sport u wanna indulge in with the gun. I hope that sort of shows u the direction without me writing a big post or going into specific details.... I m sure other members and experts will give u their piece of mind. Ciao...

Regards...
Rakshit
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm

VC, as rakshit said, the choice is simple

Home Defence: Shotgun is best choice. Avoid Rifle for this purpose, particularly that with bigger calibre like .315, .30 06 etc as in real situation involving home defence you may face the problem of over penetraton of bullet and nobody wants a dear one getting hurt or injured.

Target Practice : .22 LR rifle, if you want more practice at less expense, otherwise you can opt for higher calibre, this totaly depends upon your love for the calibre. Ofcouse bigger cal can be used in big game hunting but it is unlawful in our country, also rule out this possibility even in the remote future, therefore, hunting is definately not a requirement in any case.

cheers,
tingriman

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi again!!
Tingriman has same thoughts as me.. as for shotty i was not talking of penetration power of shotty but it is a good point.I was advocating it cuz its relatively easy in terms of accuracy and shot placement by an untrained novice also. The pellets scatter(if u use pellet type rounds and not slugs ) and also u can hit and scare away a couple of people in a few shots and that should also resolve the situation and lead to assailants running away... i m kinda biased towards a good remington or mooseberg hell anyother pump shotgun with 6-8 carts capacity can scare and deter as well as effectively take care of at least 6-8 attackers and for sure put a few down for good.

regards

Rakshit
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:13 am

I will go out on a limb here and say...

Get whatever you can get the most ammo quota for. And ammo that you can affoard.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:42 am

V-C wrote: if the Ist one is a hand gun.
V-C,

Slightly OT , but which handgun did you buy eventually ?

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

V-C
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by V-C » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Thnx Rikshit and tingriman for your valueable suggestions.
The main purpose for second fire arm is self defence and collection, not sports.
Any other suggestion is welcomed.

Regards
v-c

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Self defence... shotgun. Preferably a pump and adequate ammo.

V-C
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by V-C » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi RP,
as said earlier i owe a revolver but still looking for
a good .32 Pistol ,it looks that you should be lucky enough to find a good one.
Regards
v-c

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:00 pm

V-C wrote:Hi RP,
as said earlier i owe a revolver but still looking for
a good .32 Pistol ,it looks that you should be lucky enough to find a good one.
Regards
v-c
where are you located....try some of the dealers in Delhi...they have a very large collection