Hello from the USA!

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Flogger23m
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hello from the USA!

Post by Flogger23m » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:34 am

Just read an article online that linked to this forum, and thought I would drop in and say hello. Been skimming the forums a bit, and thought this would be the best place to post.

I didn't know that you could even own guns in India, so it was a surprise to me. Good to see that people in other countries are serious about using self defense to protect themselves.

A quick bit about myself: I am an American who was born in the USA, in California. My parents are both Indian. I got into firearms last year, mainly for fun, but I also plan on learning how to use them for self defense some day. Many Asians shoot here, but not many Indians for whatever reason.

Now, I am very interested in your laws and whatnot, and I have a bunch of questions out of curiosity. But first, since this is a gun board, let me talk about my guns first. :D

In California, we have extremely strict gun laws for USA standards - the strictest in the country. Still, I am sure they are far more lax than they are in India.

This is especially true when it comes to semi auto rifles. Many of them must be modified to have a fixed magazine, or have certian features removed. Examples will be shown below.

My current rifles is the AR-15. This is a semi auto CA legal version of the American M16/M4. It is in .223. My rifle:

My first rifle, a Romanian AKM/AK-47 clone, is pictured below. I have since sold it.

My second rifle, a Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30. Never shot it, and sold it a while back.

Now, some questions for all of you:

1) What kind of guns can you own? Semi auto rifles? Semi auto pistols? What limitations do you have in terms of what you can not own?

2) How exactly do you obtain a gun in India?

3) Is self defense with a firearm a right?

Looking forward to reading some replies.

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hello from the USA!

Post by MoA » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Welcome on board Flogger.

I was under the impression that M-4's are illegal to own throughout the US without a Class II or Class III permit I think, for auto's.

Anyhow since I am not based in India, I own all kinds of weapons. :cheers:

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

flogger23m.....

Ahem...a fan of the MiG-23M, just as I am a fan of the F-4E.......

Welcome Aboard......you are in good company, I assure you....

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Welcome on board flogger23m :!: Hope you have a wonderful time here :!:

:cheers:
SAM
SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword never encountered automatic weapons !

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Flogger,

Welcome to IFG.You can post your queries in the legal section and I am sure that you would get the answers to them.I will answer them here in brief.

1) What kind of guns can you own? Semi auto rifles? Semi auto pistols? What limitations do you have in terms of what you can not own?

Semi automatic shotguns and rifles,shotguns with a barrel length shorter than 20",303 and 7.62 rifles,.410 musket and revolvers and pistols in 9mm para,.45ACP,.38-200 and .455 require a license from the central govt. and these are issued only in rare cases.You can own any other category of firearm on a license issued by the local licensing authority.

2) How exactly do you obtain a gun in India?

You need to obtain a license first and then only can you buy a firearm of the category for which you have a license.

3) Is self defense with a firearm a right?

Ye, as long as the force is not disproportionate to the threat.In fact the highest court of the land has held that an Indian citizen shall not back away from a threat and shall have the right to use the required force to defend not only ones own life and property but also those of others.This can also include force that may lead to the death of the attacker.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Welcome to IFG, Flogger23m.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am

hi flogger.Welcome.
Do you hunt?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 am

Welcome to IFG,Flogger.Hang around and have fun.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

amathur16
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

How to Get a license if you are abroad

Post by amathur16 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:52 am

Hi there Guys: I am in the US as well. So my favorite weapon during my tenure in the Army was the 9mm SMC which was issued to officers. Is it possible to get a license in India for it? and if not what weapons could one get a licence for in India?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 am

Welcome aboard Flogger and amathur

Do post often...
Flogger now as pointed by others thats Mig 23 any connection with Indian Air Force? IAF just recently retired their floggers ...

Nice guns you have flogger

Cheers

Pyzik
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Pyzik » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 am

Hello from the USA from me as well! I live in the great state of Michigan, about 30 minutes from Detroit.

Fallowed a link from Michigan Gun Owners (migunowners.org). It's exciting to hear of your country's firearms advocacy.

I grew up in a home full of guns. Got my first gun, a single shot 20ga. shot gun at the age of six. Hunted with my family.
Now I am a bonafide gun nut. I can't get enough.

Here is my daily carry. Taurus 9mm.

And here is my favorite that I own right now, Izhmash Russian variant in 5.56.

Click images to enlarge.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 am

Pyzik

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the farm. Do introduce yourself in Welcome/Introduction section and post often. We do have few members from your neck of woods.

Best

Flogger23m
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Flogger23m » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am

MoA,

My rifle is an AR-15, not an M4. A real full auto rifle will run you $12,000 plus class 3. Semi auto versions (ARs) are treated like all other semi auto rifles, unless you live in a ban state like me.

Winnie,

Thanks for the reply. Can you own AK-47, Uzi, or other similar firearms in semi auto in India?

Shooter,

I do not hunt, never been hunting either. Don't have any friends or family into it either. Maybe one of these days though.

As for my screen name, it is a reference to the MiG-23. I am no pilot or in the military, but I always liked military aircraft. I chose my screen name because only those who are into aircraft will generally know about the MiG-23. I always get a kick out of these replies. :o

Didn't know the Indian AF retired them though. Do you guys still use the Jaguar?

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 am

Flogger23m wrote:Can you own AK-47, Uzi, or other similar firearms in semi auto in India?
Licenses are given out on the basis of Prohibited Bores(PB) and Non-Prohibited Bores(NPB). AKs, Uzi's and the similar types come under PB, so cannot be owned by general public. This thread will help you out better: http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2780
Flogger23m wrote:Do you guys still use the Jaguar?
Yes, Six active squadrons.

Regards
Last edited by m24 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

welcome mate, hope you enjoy yourself here on this crazy forum. as most of us are like cowboys without horses. :D or part of a horse.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.