What guns to start a buying spree with

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mehulkamdar

What guns to start a buying spree with

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Friends,

With tax filing dates coming and also some money headed my way, I hope to start buying some guns. If all goes well, Mark and I may travel out of the country on business and recreation - read buying more guns :mrgreen: In the meantime I have posted this question on the NE forums to elicit some opinions on how to start buying.

I would request your opinions on this as well. My cold turkey is getting worse by the day as I am reminded of tax returns due to me. :lol:

Thanks in advance for all opinions and good shooting everyone! MAy more friends join us in shooting and hunting in the USA!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:50 pm

What about that Lee Speed you had your eyes on?

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: What guns to start a buying spree with

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Mack The Knife,

There will be Lee Speeds and Martinis. I am already in touch with THE GURU for them. 8) The guns I have posted about are all on sale within 40 miles of my place and could be picked up in a day if I wanted to. Even if I bought a Lee Speed in the UK tomorrow, it might take between 6 months to a year to import it into the USA. I need to ahve something in hand well before that. :mrgreen:

No suggestions on the local choices? :)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 pm

No suggestions on the local choices?
Buy what your heart desires.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Didn't know you were out for a career in the Diplomatic service. :lol:

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Learning from you, Smoothy. :mrgreen:

Actually, what I said is good advice. Stop thinking like a bloody Gujju and counting Dollars and Cents all the time. If you buy what you really like, you wont regret not buying it later.

Phew, it's good to revert to my normal nasty self. ;)

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Mehul, what happened to the Renato Gamba Ambassador Executive that you had your eye on ?

Unless you're "collecting", my suggestion is to only buy guns that you know you'll get a chance to shoot often, rather than keep them in the closet.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 pm

What happened to your plans of buying that Gamba?

Or you can always go for an O/U :wink:

-Inder
PS: Can we do it before 14th so that I can check for my fit etc..:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm

HSharief";p="9324 wrote:Mehul, what happened to the Renato Gamba Ambassador Executive that you had your eye on ?

Unless you're "collecting", my suggestion is to only buy guns that you know you'll get a chance to shoot often, rather than keep them in the closet.
Oh Sharief, You beat me.. :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Sharief/Inder,

If you follow the NE forum link posted above, the Gamba is the first one on the list. Still trying to decide - the 3 barreled A-5 would be a nice choice too because of the shotgun only rules for deer here.

No suggestions from both of you? Inder - you've seen the Gamba and the Superposeds along with me...

Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Mehul, I couldn`t help grinning at the response to this question on NE -surprise, surprise, various people recommended different guns with the result that everything was recommended !
.........And it didn`t take three guesses to surmise what Johan would suggest !
For future reference anything that you might want from the UK can be shipped via our mutual friend in LA and then sent on to your chosen FFL.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:42 am

Grumpy,

Somehow, I think the A-5 is the hammergun among semi-auto shotguns. 8) Instantly likeable to anyone who likes simple and reliable guns. After I bought mine, Johan started looking for one but he found Swedish prices were very high compared to what I paid. I keep hoping that he would move to the USA - there still are some really nice A-5s available at occasionally good prices over here, including NIB ones like the ones that I posted about.

The shipment option is a superb one. SO our friend has gone from a Cruffler to a full FFL? Very nice! Which reminds me, I need to invite him to join here and spend a little time whenever he's free. :)

Cheers!

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:15 am

Mehul, suggestions from me, well, your and my tastes vary. If I were building my collection the list will be :

Upland 12ga SxS (Winchester 21)
Semi-auto shotgun for hard use (Benelli SBE)
Semi-auto shotgun for sporting/fun (A5, Browing DA, Beretta Urika)
Clays O/U (Beretta 682)
.22 Rifle (Customized Ruger 10/22 and/or Anchutz 54)
.22 handgun (Ruger single-six and/or Ruger MK II/III, S&W 41)
Semi-auto Pistols (Custom 1911 and Glock)
.30-06 bolt rifle (Mauser or Dakota)
Self defence revolver (2" S&W or Ruger or Colt in .357)
Self Defence semi-auto (Glock mini and/or Custom 1911)
Colt Phython and/or S&W .44 "Dirty Harry"

So far, this would be my list. YMMV !!!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:35 am

Sharief,

Several of the slots that you suggest have been filled in my current battery:

Semi-auto shotgun for sporting/fun - already have an A-5
22 Rifle - Have two, a new Marlin 60 semi auto and a WInchester 39A target model that I am in the procss of customising
.30-06 bolt rifle - I have a custom made Mauser in 8x57 J that I may enhance with rust or charcoal bluing this year and possibly a little scroll engraving
Upland 12ga SxS - that is where the Gamba Ambassador Exec/Browning Superposed come in - I am trying to decide
I am also planning on ordering one or more Lee Speeds in 303 and non 303 calibres like the 375 No 2 if available from the UK
I may order some hammer shotguns as well - not sure as of now but I have a very good friend who is certain to find me something nice, I am confident of that 8)
I was never too big on semi auto pistols but will, at some point, have a 1911. I cannot think of anything else and prefer my guns simple no matter what they are
Instead of a big bore handgun I am looking at a bog bore rifle, preferably a BPE as it would certainly be more useful for me in the long term and I like BP guns anyway

That said, the list of guns that I posted about are all that are immediately available near my home and I am trying to make a choice out of this particular list as a first step. Other guns would follow - the only time I'll stop buying them is when I am dead. :lol:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:49 am

Kyon Sada rehe ho bhai ... : :roll: :(

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: