New Member / Help me get started

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Sangha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New Member / Help me get started

Post by Sangha » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi All,

At the outset, let me congratulate the moderators of this site for managing the show so well. Also take this chance to say a collective HELLO to all other members.

Now for the help part.... I am back in India after a medium term (12 years stint) in Dubai/Holland. When i came back, i couldnt help admiring the guns/rifles my cousins in Punjab/Rajasthan have. But to have those, it seems i will have to wait for eternity and cross the LICENSING river of fire. So thought of buying and using a good Airgun so as to keep myself busy and in firing fit condition (till the time i manage a firearm license).

Having read the "Import Hassles", i dont fancy a trip to Dubai and bring one from UAE. So two very simple/basic but important questions:

1.) Which should be my first airgun? (Edited: Reasons,please read Eljefe's post.In future excercise caution.Thanks)
2.) Where in Delhi/other parts of North India can i buy NEW airguns from manufacturers like Diana, HW, Webley etc. Someone who is reliable and can educate me too on the way.

Will appreciate whatever help i can get.

Regs,

Sangha

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:42 pm

NIce start Sangha, Welcome back. Things havent changed- Hunting is still a very NO NO, pest control for rats may be writeable on the forum.Snakes come under Sch.1 of the Wildlife Act- so its 7 years state guest status. Pigeons-fit some where in there... so regretfully, back off the hunting part.
As for the air rifles part, there's some awesome stuff available- as a recent airgun convert, am in my fisrt decade of internship, how did you miss out al sayed ? well, ask around, lurk around and pester the air gun afficianados here-they will help you out.
Welcome to the madness
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Sangha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Oh...Sorry...

Post by Sangha » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:58 pm

eljefe";p="27603 wrote:NIce start Sangha, Welcome back. Things havent changed- Hunting is still a very NO NO, pest control for rats may be writeable on the forum.Snakes come under Sch.1 of the Wildlife Act- so its 7 years state guest status. Pigeons-fit some where in there... so regretfully, back off the hunting part.
As for the air rifles part, there's some awesome stuff available- as a recent airgun convert, am in my fisrt decade of internship, how did you miss out al sayed ? well, ask around, lurk around and pester the air gun afficianados here-they will help you out.
Welcome to the madness
Axx
Thanks Eljefe,

When i was overseas, i didnt feel the need to look for airguns as i thought i could manage to lay hands on the bigger ones, once i am back. But things have changed for the worse. Last 1 year, there have been so many scandals in Rajasthan involving Arms license issuance (latest in Sri Ganganagar, where they issued Topidar license for Rs. 10,000 and later converted them). So thats what made me look for gud airguns (not that they are less interesting). So desperatly need genuine supplier somewhere in North India.

As for mentioning the needs to have an airgun..... sorrrrrrrrrryyyyyy... i just was trying to explain the kind of power of my "would be airgun". Was not the purpose, but a parameter.

Cheers..

Sangha

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi Sangha

A good bet would be one of the following models. Weihrauch HW 80K, HW 77K, HW 97K. The newer HW 95 aka Beeman R9 is a lighter gun with sufficient power for your applications.

I've listed the Weihrauch series since they are easier to get in India compared to the Air Arms range.

I have had in the past a Diana 25, Diana 45, BSA Airsporter, HW 77, HW 90. Looking back the HW77 was probably the best. I'm now thinking of a HW95 or Beeman R9 in addition to the Air Arms S400 PCP which I imported recently. I like the idea of having a springer backup if I run out of compressed air.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
GG

Sangha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sangha » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks GG,

Going thru the other posts in IFG plus the feedback from you, i have a fairly good idea about what the GOOD buys can be. The HW's and the Diana's.

Now just waiting for the good samaritans on IFG to let me know of people in North India (preferably) who can sell me these. As i said, after reading the import hassle posts at IFG, i think i will explore buying locally.

So Long....

Sangha

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 pm

thanks for the info.
i have a few more questions ( from a person who has no knowledge about air guns. i am based in the uk. are there any other makes you would like to suggest?

i want to use my airgun for plinking and game. maybe target shooting but not competitively. So what make should i go for?

what are the practical difficulties with the pneumatic air guns?

what is the advantage of underlevers over break barrels? is the difference in accuracy substantial?

what is the meaning of 'direct trigger'/ match trigger/ double set trigger and what are their merits and demerits ?

should i go for a higher velocity lower calibre .177 or lower velocity .22. what are the merits/demerits of these 2 calibs? one 'coach' told me that in competitions usually .177 is used. is it more accurate than low velocity .22.

note. call me old fashioned or ignorant but i like air rifles to look loke air rifles not like 'star treck weapons' so i am not intrested in buying models like air arms ev2 etc.

if mods feel im goinf ot here plz post my questions in a separate thread or tell me to do it. thanks

You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.