importing a .22

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
jimmy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

importing a .22

Post by jimmy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 am

Dear frieds I am planning to brign a BSA .22 SPRINGER from munich at Delhi .what can I expect from yhe customs? Or can I pass through the green zone if the value of the rifle is less than $400? :(

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:06 am

I don't think you will be allowed to go through 'Green'. The bag will have been x-rayed and a chalk mark put on it, indicating to customs that the bag has contents that need to be checked. Don't even think of rubbing the chalk mark away.

Keep the original invoice with you.

Mack The Knife

jimmy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: importing a .22

Post by jimmy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Mack The Knife.
If I have the original invoice and am ready to pay the 35% duty should I expect smooth sailing or can they still stop me?How long does the procedure last?I have a connecting domestic flight 5 hours after landing in Delhi, I just hope I don`t have to choose between the flight and my .22 , as I am sure I`ll go for the latter

Please pray for me
cheers

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: importing a .22

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:51 pm

If I have the original invoice and am ready to pay the 35% duty should I expect smooth sailing or can they still stop me?
They may still stop you because some of them think only .177" calibre airguns can be imported.

The only people who have had smooth sailing are those who know custom officers. Then the procedure is gone through in a professional and timely manner and they usually leave the airport, with the airgun, in an hour or so.
How long does the procedure last?
Anything from an hour to a few days of running around. All depends on what time your flight lands. If the big boss has gone home, the junior officers usually tend to err on the side of caution and wait for the seniormost officer to report back to work.

Also, some custom officers insist on the police certifying the gun as an airgun which does not need a firearm licence. In which case you are looking at a few days of running between airport and the police commissioners (arms section) office. From what I have seen, Delhi customs don't always ask for a police NOC.
I have a connecting domestic flight 5 hours after landing in Delhi.
Dicey.