Interesting read.....

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Interesting read.....

Post by Hunter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 pm

http://www.velocitypress.com/BeemanKodiak.shtml

Good link for all .25 cal.fans!

For Advertising mail webmaster
rajivratan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajivratan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Converting .22 air to rimfire. Dont try it, but an Interesting read.....

Link Edited due to Illegal and Unsafe Information

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Interesting read.....

Post by Mark » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Rajivratan,

I have edited your link and given you a yellow card for the following reasons-

1) What the link is proposing is illegal in many places of the world

2) It is obvious the person actually writing this has no idea what he is talking about. He has made several technical errors in what he is saying to do to modify an airgun. I believe a person following these directions runs the risk of losing their eyesight even before the second shot. (actually, it will be even before the first shot, see if you can figure out why)

3) Additionally, I especially take exception the the pointing out of "African rioters" that are "waving airguns" or however he described them, and making the claim these are illegally converted in this way. Not only is this a lie, (when was the last time anyone has ever seen any sort of converted weapon at a riot that was not followed up in the press) but is also a rather racially biased statement which I hold somewhat despicable.

-Edited to add-

I just looked at the link again, and I see that now the African Rioters I remember reading about have now been changed to Poachers. Go ahead and google the article and compare the current version with the cached version.

I see you are rather new here, and I would like to encourage you to participate in this forum in a way that is beneficial to yourself, to the sport of shooting, and to the positive future of the current and prospective gun owners in India.

Yours truthfully,

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:21 am

Mark: Your point 3. raises a question. When has the "press" ever been able to tell one end of a gun from the other, identify a gun correctly, or have any idea what they are writing about? Point 1., that would be perfectly legal in other jurisdictions, since stupidity is not a criminal offense. In general, without the deleted/edited original post, the reply appears as nanny-ish censorship, as some of the newer forum members would seem to benefit from "don't try this at home, kids" posts. My suggestion would be not to post the reply on the forum whenever the original post is deleted/edited out, as it no longer serves any purpose. Regards.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:00 am

Tworivers,

I agree with you about the press (probably even more vehemently than you do, so don't even get me started!)

However, my point here is that anything even remotely representing evil that can be associated with firearms will be quite well publicized, whether accurate or not. I was primarily emphasizing this fact because face it, the 2 continents referred to in this juvenile fantasy of a "how to" have some of the most restrictive gun laws on the planet. This article is not how to make a cheap, useful, reliable, and LEGAL 22 rifle but implies something illegal (at the expense of practicality, for example there is no mention at all about how an empty 22 shell would be removed). Look at the website it is posted on- totse.com (might as well post it to save everyone the google) and you'll see there are quite a few not only illegal but immoral posts, like stealing street signs for instance, or manufacturing drugs, stealing food, or making life like mannikins to put on the road in front of motorists, etc.

As to why I have bothered to reply to the post and edit the original link instead of deleting the entire thread, let us just say that I am opposed to censorship and at the same time just as strongly believing in moral responsibility. To be honest, I have already stated my opinion the link was pure bullcrap and for that reason does not need to be repeated. If I am to be convicted of exercising of anything in regards to this thread it would be the enforcement of Good Taste rather than spurious Censorship.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 am

Mark: Gotcha covered. A wire coathanger,or other stiff wire as a ramrod. Wonder if the movie of the same name inspired this site. (Have yet to look at it). But if it shows one thing, it's that people will always find a way to come up with a weapon and circumvent the law. Regards.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 am

TwoRivers";p="41801 wrote:Mark: Gotcha covered. A wire coathanger,or other stiff wire as a ramrod. Wonder if the movie of the same name inspired this site. (Have yet to look at it). But if it shows one thing, it's that people will always find a way to come up with a weapon and circumvent the law. Regards.
Tworivers,

I think we are discussing separate issues here.

My point is not that people will always find a way to come up with a weapon, my point is that the previously linked article in question is pure unadulterated BS.

1) You cannot convert a 22 air rifle how the idiot described it.

2) Linking to it (or ignoring it!) only lends credibility to it, or more dangerously implies a tacit approval of manufacturing illegal rifles from airguns.

Far as weapons are concerned, this has all the components for a backdoor approach to someone somewhere making a political name for themselves by calling to ban those dangerous side cockers because they are easily converted by criminals. After all, if it saves even one life it will be worth the legislation......

See where this is leading? Whether or not this was written by some immature poseur or whether it was written by someone with more sinister political motives, both type of cockroaches need to have the flashlight of truth shining into their dank stinky corners.

And, if you will pardon my language, calling bullcrap where BS is well deserved.

rajivratan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajivratan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:16 am

Dear Sir,
I have started the topic with caveat "Converting .22 air to rimfire. Dont try it, but an Interesting read..... ", and I presume that the members of IFG are either gun owners or intend to own one, are Adults, and have a working knowledge of law. Working for Law Enforcement for 17 years, I have come across bad ass weapons, and worse. I am not the author of the article, nor endorse the technicals of the article except "Dont try it, but an Interesting read.....". This article is in public domain on the web. I bow to your wisdom of giving away yellow cards for drawing attention to it. I request the warning be reversed.
I have keenly noted the technical impossibility of this conversion detailed by you however.

Best Regards
Rajiv Ratan

rajivratan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajivratan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 am

"Far as weapons are concerned, this has all the components for a backdoor approach to someone somewhere making a political name for themselves by calling to ban those dangerous side cockers because they are easily converted by criminals. After all, if it saves even one life it will be worth the legislation......

See where this is leading? Whether or not this was written by some immature poseur or whether it was written by someone with more sinister political motives, both type of cockroaches need to have the flashlight of truth shining into their dank stinky corners."

Sir, I'm sorry I didnt know this group had so many fears and hangups, and political opinions. I think Gun Control is not a hot topic in India.

Moderators, please help. I want to leave the group. Best Regards.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 am

Rajiv,

There is no need for you to leave the group, just talk about other things that aren't so dodgy.

I cannot speak for any others, but I do not believe I have any hangups here but just an expanded awareness of these issues.

And face it, if you were responsible for helping keep a forum organized and someone with 5 posts puts up a link to something that is illegal in your country you would probably have a similar reaction.

Had you been around for a year and talked about other things so you were a known entity, then to be honest I would not have given you a yellow card (though there was a person given a yellow card for posting this exact same link yesterday, so he might complain about being singled out next), I probably would have just changed your link and left a note.

At any rate, I'm removing your yellow card (Shh don't tell anybody!) and I look forward to your prticipating in the forums and discussions here, which means you are now morally obligated to do your part in keeping the forum active!

So I look forward to more posts and participation, and please feel free to post relevant pictures too, of guns or knives or outdoors or even your favorite dog....

Oh yeah, fill out your profile too!

Regards,

Mark

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:25 pm

Rajiv,

There are easier ways to get an illegal firearm in India than resorting to first buying an air rifle and then converting it to a rimfire.

There is all sorts of information on the web,most if which is complete nonsense.There are web sites out there ,that give more authentic information than the link that you provided on making guns/firearms and even canons.Something that maybe legal in areas where the people who posted this information,live.Posting a link to that would be acceptable.

However posting links to sites that contain information that is clearly dangerous /foolhardy would invite censure.If it contains information that is clearly in contravention of law/or an invitation to break it,then this the least that it deserves.

Gun control is not a hot topic in India as the Indian publics access to firearms is severely restricted.India is celebrating 150 years of the uprising of 1857. However the Indian Arms Act of 1959,which is nothing but an amended version of the Indian Arms Act of 1878 which was a direct outcome of this uprising,exists.The Arms Act of 1959 was passed with the objective of "enabling" Indian citizens to acquire firearms.Since it has failed in this,I think it is time to amend it or to pass a new law.

IFG would like Indians to have greater access to firearms and ammunition and at a reasonable price,than what they enjoy now.However,only by legal means.Paying a couple of lakhs for something that should not cost more than 20-30 thousand is criminal,don't you agree.

Stick around.You might get to like this site.