Diana 35, the old classic

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Diana 35, the old classic

Post by Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Shahid,

I had imported a BSA Stutzen .22 about 6 years ago from Dubai.When I arrived the boys in white all but confiscated it claiming that it was a firearm!(partly I guess because of the full stock).After a lot of explaining and demonstrating they finally agreed to hold the weapon till I got a certificate from the police stating that the same was not a firearm.
The next morning I had to go back to the customs and excort an officer to the police headquaters with the air-rifle and after the police were satisfied that the same was indeed a air-gun they gave me a certificate mentioning the same for a sum of rs100/-.Then excort the boy in white back to the airport with the gun and then it was valued.This is where it was worth it. They did not have the valuation in their books hence I got charged only inr 3600/- as duty. I will post the cpys of the same when I find it!

This type of BSA was for sale a couple of months ago at Bansons in Abdul rehman street in Bombay and the asking price was...hold your breadth 1lakh!!!!!!!!It was mounted with a Golden eagle scope but the stock and action was a bit scratched.
The same was ultimately sold for inr 80000/-

I have as u must understand, stopped using my BSA after this!!!!!! :wink:

After the abv incident I have stopped even thinking of importing any airgun into India.

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:04 am

Very Sad & disappointing news.even discouraged me,as i was planning to bring one to India on my next trip.I have a membership card of a local club operating in my city ,is it enough for evidence ,or should I ask my ppl to send me my UPSRA card.?
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 am

I think the local Rifle association card should suffice. All they demanded was National / State / District level shooting association. By this yardstick any membership card will do.

By the way, this Golden Eagle scope on that BSA is not a rated Air Rifle scope, but just an ordinary Rifle Scope.

I Lakh. Thid BSA Stutzen is sold for Rs. 12,000 in Dubai.

Investment in a BSRA card seems a good opportunity. If I bring 1 rifle to India and sell it I can recover the 5005 life membership fee spent !

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:05 am

IIRC the relevant rules regarding import of air-rifles as part of baggage are contained in the EXIM policy released by the DGFT. I'll see if I can dig out the correct section and post it here. This has been the case since forever.

The 2005 notification regarding import of .177 cal airguns by rifle club members is for importing an airgun without having to travel overseas yourself - that is direct import via post/ courier.

The best way forward would be, print out copies of the section(s) of the EXIM policy/ rules which allow for the import of airguns as part of baggage, and courier them to your partner in India along with an authority letter for him to pay the duty and have the gun released on your behalf. This will save you a trip to India as well as the BSRA life membership fees...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:08 am

Very well, this seems to be a good way but any luck on the link for this print out. Please when you get some time dig it out and post the link here.

I will take up the membership. THere are only 115 members in BSRA right now.

All my friends and family are NRAI members too. SO I too will take a life membership.

Me in person am a member of NRA, USA.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 am

Shahid,

You are spamming the board. If this does not stop immediately, I am going to yellow card you and this time it will not be removed.

This is your last warning.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Please the Import Policy - Chapter no. 95 (as on 07.04.2006) - you can download this from ftp://dgftcom.nic.in/ftproot/itchsi07042006.zip

EXIM code. 9503 90 10 covers the item "Toy weapons", which are free for import. Airguns as per Indian law are classified as toys and do not require a license. The process as described by others is, that you will actually need to go down to the Customs warehouse, collect the gun and have a customs official accompany you to the Delhi Police Licensing branch (located at Defence Colony, Police Station). You will then have to get the cops to certify that the gun in question is NOT a firearm. Then go back to customs, pay the duty, collect the gun and go home...

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:02 pm

:o .......hmmmmmm.this seems to be a positive developement for me at least.
Maybe I can start thinking of buying a new toy on my next visit to the middle east.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Easier to courier a good .177 in through TNT. Why lug it around and then lug the customs guy to the thana etc. From the US the air freight is just $55 for a rifle. Have it mailed to a Delhi address, the postal customs is now used to air guns being imported so the hassles are less.

regards,

dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Dev,

Could you post the URLs of the yahoo merchants etc. with the low shipping charges on a fresh thread? It would be most helpful to many out here... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Will do so in a day.

Dev
mundaire";p="17568 wrote: Dev,

Could you post the URLs of the yahoo merchants etc. with the low shipping charges on a fresh thread? It would be most helpful to many out here... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks Dev,will eagerly await the same.I think most of us are in the dark about the rule. I wonder if the same will be applicable to Bombay! :(

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:43 pm

What about that part - read it in IFG somewhere that 30 shots have to fired in a 12 inch x 12 inch board on 1 Inch thickness and it should not break, then it becomes a tou else a firearm. WOuld that be required as well ?

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 pm

I also read read the same somewhere...u have to fire into deal wood free of knots.But not sure the size or the no.of shots to be fired!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:19 pm

My Diana .22 Mod 35 with a walnut stock and a gsmith spring.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.