pellets

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 pm

Anupam";p="24121 wrote:I got the pointed ones from Kanpur @ Rs. 10/- for a box of 100....
Well, they cost anywhere from 20 - 25 bucks in Bangalore

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:42 pm

The finish looks so weird, I wonder how they will be to shoot. Will stock up on some soon. The .177 would just not work in my IZH Baikal pistol. I hope the .22 are better but then my rifle so far handles most pellets well. The double bands look like deadly can piercing ammo. ;-) Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:08 pm

Sniper, have you tried the export quality .22 pellets in any imported airgun? It would be interesting to see how they do.

GG

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 pm

Havent had an opportunity to get any export quality master shot pellets - the gsmith does well in my Diana but Master shot round head is the chosen one
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks for posting pics for the range of Indian made pellets. We all grew up with Matershot. When I was 10 years old in 1977, a box of Mastershot .177 pellets used to cost only Rs. 2 for a hundred pellets. Well a 12 Bore shotgun cartridge, KF Special by IOF used to cost Rs. 2.25 then.

My experiments with various pellets have inferred the folloing.

What is critical difference between Indian pellets and top international manufacturers like H & N, Gamo, Diana / RWS, Webley Umarex, Walther or similar is.

Quality and purity of lead metal
Quality control
Better technology
range tests for grouping

These factors contribute for down range accuracy and match winning scores.

In the Indian context, the National 35 AIr RIfle starts performing diffrently the moment suitable imported pellets for Medium Power Air Rifles like the Gamo hunter are fired from it. It starts grouping much much better.

THere are impurities in the lead used by Indian pellet makers, perhaps this and old dies is the reason why the finish is poor and difference in skirt size and weight between pellets.

Very small variances d make appreciable differences in AIr Rifles

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: pellets

Post by bandukbhandar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:54 am

Customers are not being cheated in Bagalore or else where.

The rate of pellets vary according to quality.

Rs.10/- dibbie you will have almost 80% pellets of varying shapes and weight and so keep on zeroing your gun.

Kanpur dealers always have a fear in their mind that, if we show a good quality pellet or any other accessories to the customers which definately commands a higher price, the customer will move to other shop.

Hence they never stock good quality stuff.

They only know how to get higher prices for second hand 50 year old weapons and a very poor quality Indian new guns. Here customers are at the mercy of Indian manufacturers and dealers.

Cheers

Kezar Husen Bandukwala

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:30 am

Hi Kezar,

Yes the customers are really price sensitive......but u do sell the best stuff in Indore ....and your shop is known for stocking the good quality goods even though they might be expensive...in short its about educating your customers and let him find himself whether he wants to buy junk or wants to use quality stuff for which he has to pay.

Comparison with Kanpur I dont agree because its a totally different market what do u do where there are 400 dealers and the customer profile is so different.They have to sell junk because the customers want Junk. And a market primarly dealing in guns dealers can't pay that emphasis on quality pellets.

AC

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:41 am

I am sure with better quality established, very soon GC Smith pellets would be stocked and sold by all gun dealers in India to cater to the upper end and serious plinker end of the market.

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:33 pm

The GSmiths are the best Indian-made pellets, simply because they are better made - pellet to pellet they are consistent. A 0.22 weighs in at about 14.3 grains, which is just ideal for plinking and casual shooting. My crosman seems to like them. I use 0.22 pointed head GSmisths in my crosman and they are dead accurate - pellet after pellet. Although they are a tight fit.

I once fired a Master Shot from my Crosman, and decided I won't attempt that again. These are just too light for a powerful springer. So much so, that it might even damage the piston. My Crosman fired the 0.22 pointed head Master Shot and made a sound as loud as a dry fire. And I bought the good quality ones at Rs. 100 for a 500 pack.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:57 pm

[quote="vivek009";p="24815"]The GSmiths are the best Indian-made pellets, simply because they are better made - pellet to pellet they are consistent. A 0.22 weighs in at about 14.3 grains'

Are you sure cause 14.3 grains is what the crosman premier .22 pellet weighs, i vaguely recall that when I checked with gsmith they gave me the weight in grams which I later converted and found to be about 18 grains. I've got both with me and the gsmith roundhead is definitely heavier. My Crosman pump 2100 liked the gsmith round heads in .177, the early batches of p10 were good but now they vary.

Their .22 stuff is way better but a trifle heavy for a medium rated springer. According to the 'resident lord of airgunning' its not good for the spring. So your quest for a better pellet begins all over again. :lol:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:50 am

vivek009";p="24815 wrote:The GSmiths are the best Indian-made pellets, simply because they are better made - pellet to pellet they are consistent. A 0.22 weighs in at about 14.3 grains, which is just ideal for plinking and casual shooting. My crosman seems to like them. I use 0.22 pointed head GSmisths in my crosman and they are dead accurate - pellet after pellet. Although they are a tight fit.

I once fired a Master Shot from my Crosman, and decided I won't attempt that again. These are just too light for a powerful springer. So much so, that it might even damage the piston. My Crosman fired the 0.22 pointed head Master Shot and made a sound as loud as a dry fire. And I boughVit the good quality ones at Rs. 100 for a 500 pack.
Vivek,

In case the pellet is a tight fit, it is actually good. It will hit the target more accurately. Loose fitting pellets can be absolutely wayward.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 pm

I have one query:

I understand that there are mainly four types of pellets
viz. Pointed head, Flat hear (wad cutter), double head, and round head..

Why there are different types. which is best for what useage.

pls advice.
klick klack..... diskaon

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:54 am

Wad cutter or flat head - for target shooting.

Extremely high quality among these for competition shooting.

Tradional dome shaped - General hunting purpose and field use.

Pointed pellets - greater penetration in medium powered rifles.

Head band varities - To add greater striking power in magnum class rifles.

Hollow point - Greater hydrestatic shock, better expansion, good for hunting, quick kill, good wound channel.

Raptors - greater velocity and hence accuracy in co2 powered pistols.

THis list is by no means complete. There are at least another types of pellets in common use today.

Some are grooved at the skirt, others are plain, made with alloys, even synthetic materials at their tip. More on this later perhaps.

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Where in Delhi can I get Gsmith 0.22 Cal High Force ( Flat Head ) or similar quality pellet ? Any idea about price ?

-Kanwal

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 pm

I use the following pellets (sourced variously). i have never used a single indian make pellet so far and can group better than most .22 rim fire shots at about 25 metres( with a rest).
the pellets i possess are, in random list.
1. H&N (haendler and natermann) silhouette
2. H&N semi wad cutter
3. hobby by dynamit nobel(flat heads)
4. superdome by dynamit nobel (round heads)
5. rws super point extra (pointed heads)
6. beeman crow magnum pellets (hollow points)

***EDITED*** H&N semi wad cutter is slightly lower in my ranking compared to others. mind you these are based on the performance in my model 52 .22
regs
sudhaiob