Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 pm

advitiyas";p="37777 wrote:thanka art_collectro for 'limiting my options' :(, pls dont mind.

Pls explain to me what is meant by re-crowning. How will is affect the accuracy.
Not my quote:

"The crown of a rifle is the point at the muzzle where the rifling ends. It's the last place that the rifle has any physical influence on the bullet, and it's critical that it be perfect. The crown must be square with the bore, perfectly round and free from any defects. Even the slightest imperfection can diminish accuracy by adversely affecting the bullet when it exits the barrel. If you're going to cut off a rifle barrel, its critical that the new crown be perfect."

Easiest would be to buy a muzzle crowning tool off the 'shelf' from brownells. But for most of us in India this is too much trouble for a small thing. The Muzzle crowning tool is a specially shaped cutter which is bore specific. All you have to do is chuck it to a hand drill and wrrrrrr....carefully. Granted that most Indian Gunsmiths are actually butchers, a few of the better and respectable ones just could have the appropriate cutter. Or else the next best way would be to take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith who has a decent lathe and get it done.

I'm not too much of an Air gun person so I cant say for sure, but I assume the Airgun in the picture is Indian made. I'd noticed many Indian airguns have lined barrels- A mild steel barrel which houses a smaller and harder steel tube which is the actual accurate bore and is rifled. Often the outer barrel's bore is larger and there is an visible gap between the inner tube and the main barrel's bore. The lining is secured only in the breech and muzzle. Chop your barrel and you'll have a free floating inner bore supported only in the rear.

Some types have filler material, usually a tough plastic sleeve between the two. This also has potential of the botch-up type. Newer Air Rifles may have a normal bored through barrel and these might be the ones you can re-crown painlessly... if at all.

Regards,
cc
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:59 pm

cottage cheese";p="37783 wrote:All you have to do is chuck it to a hand drill and wrrrrrr....carefully.
Not so simple when you consider that the Brownells cutter is said to 'chatter'. Caveat emptor!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="37784 wrote:
cottage cheese";p="37783 wrote:All you have to do is chuck it to a hand drill and wrrrrrr....carefully.
Not so simple when you consider that the Brownells cutter is said to 'chatter'. Caveat emptor!
....well...then I amend my statement to 'theoretically speaking'...:mrgreen:

I think there's another made by Wheeler Engineering ...not that it'd matter much to most of us Indians though... :)

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:04 pm

thanks cottage cheese,
that was a real in depth problem to the solution. thanks mate. That will go a long way.And its a local made airgun of G.N.W, I bought 10 yrs ago for Rs 1000. It was a gift from my father when I secured a 1st division in high school. And I just love it, that why i want to make unique, thats Y I was having those wild idea.

I will be posting some picture for you Mr.Cottage Cheese

thanks
Last edited by advitiyas on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Do it !

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:17 pm

In theory you can do a recrown using a round head screw attached to a drill and using toothpaste as a medium. I haven't used it but its favoured by several home crowners on the Crosman board . So this is just another useless piece of trivia that you might want to read up about.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 pm

cottage cheese";p="37783 wrote: I'd noticed many Indian airguns have lined barrels- A mild steel barrel which houses a smaller and harder steel tube which is the actual accurate bore
What will you say about this Barrel ?

Just Do it !

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 pm

It`s not a useless piece of trivia Dev - I`ve recrowned using a brass, round-headed screw and fine carborundum grit loads of times. It sometimes gets through two or three screws but is safer than using a steel screw.
I`m pretty sure that Mack The Knife also knows of this technique but don`t know if he`s ever employed it.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:49 pm

I have done something similar in the past. Infact it has been mentioned in an earlier post on this forum.

Brazed a steel ball to a car valve stem. Applied grinding paste (first coarse and then followed by fine) to the ball and ground away....by hand.

I still have that contraption somewhere. If I find it, I'll post a picture of it.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:07 pm

:) See ? From the font of practical good sense !
I knew that we`d discussed the matter Mack The Knife but couldn`t remember if it had been posted on this forum.
Last edited by Grumpy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:14 pm

advitiyas";p="37849 wrote: What will you say about this Barrel ?
Hey Advi,

Do take good notice of Dev, Grumpy and Mack The Knife's posts, they are the ones(As I know) with a lot of hands on experience and you can take it from me they've tried improvised on a lot of things. I didn't know you could crown like that...so there!!!

About the barrel, from the picture its hard to say. The biggest problem is since the lining is 'plugged' and supported only on the breech and muzzle, you won't know until you actually chop up the barrel- which I found out to my horror many years back.

You could try polish the breech face (The rim round the bore) area to a white metal state and do the same to the muzzle - if the texture and perhaps color of the metal is significantly different, it's probably lined. Careful don't the breech area too vigorously or you might mess up the 'gas' seal.

Perhaps Dev, grumps or Rusty can advice better.

regards,
CC

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Perhaps Dev, grumps or Rusty can advice better.

regards,
CC
[/quote]

Oye leave me out of it, I'm just all theory and hot air...
in fact whip yourself with a maggie noodle for typing my name in the same line as grumpy and Mack The Knife :lol:

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 pm

Oy, leave me out of it as well Dev. I`m a know nothing ( care nothing ? ) windbag when it comes to air rifles. In fact you can flagellate yourself with a length of soggy spaghetti for typing my name in the same line as Mack The Knifes.
:lol:
All prostrate ourselves towards Bangalo-t of big bass drums-re and intone:
"We`re not worthy".
"Lead us onto the path righteousness regarding identifying lined air rifle barrels oh tubby one".

- Can`t let him get too puffed-up.
:twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 pm

but the noodle's too short dear grumpy...too short (sung to the tune of harry belafonte's, 'hole in the bucket'.
but will sacrifice some bacon on Mack The Knife's altar :lol:

dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Well, as the great one has loaned his `big un` out he certainly has a hole that needs plugging - "Well mend it dear Mack The Knife".
D`you reckon a soggy noodle will do the job ? Not nice if he leaks.......................

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:04 am

cottage cheese";p="37864 wrote:
Hey Advi,

Do take good notice of Dev, Grumpy and Mack The Knife's posts, they are the ones(As I know) with a lot of hands on experience
I I SIR :D
Just Do it !