Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 am

@Vivek: I haven't ordered any spares yet. I will let you know once we have a plan underway. I am currently waiting for my pistol, so that I can try to dismantle it.

Dev is really knowledgeable when it comes to Crosman Pump Actions. He's advised me on how to take the gun apart and Mark has given me a source, whom I will get in touch with shortly to order parts.

If needed, we can order together.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

How did you contact Crosman? through the usual customer service link on the website or did you call or something?

regards
Vivek
[/quote]

I may have some spare seals if you want I had kept them for my 2100 which is no more. I got tired of pumping and moved to the Crosman 160 clone the QB 78. Pm if you need seals i.e. O rings. I'll check and send them to you and here is the great advertising motivational word," Free!" :lol:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 pm

We really need a Donations section with so many big hearts!!!

Moderators are you listening? lol!!

@Vivek: Grab the opportunity before somebody else does.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

Post by Mo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi Guys!

I finally took the 1377 apart. You guys were right about knocking the pin out to take the pump apart. Once the pin was out, the screws were taken out with a normal + screw driver. The best thing is that, for some reason, the screws were loose and came out easily even though the driver did not fit well. I was lucky there.

As far as the overall condition of the pistol is concerned, I must say that 6 months in a tropical area with no rust protection does shocking things to your gun!

Attached are some pics and I've narrowed down the parts I need to replace.

Here's the whole gun knocked down:

I didn't take the trigger assembly apart cause there's nothing wrong with it.

Now here's the pump assembly zoomed in:

The pump assembly offers absolutely no resistance when you move the forearm.

Now here's the Pump Cup zoomed in:

Though its in pretty good nick, it does not fit tightly inside the main tube. This bit does all the pumping and it not fitting snug is not the way to go. I will be ordering spares for this.

Here's a close-up with the pump installed inside the main tube and the forearm pulled all the way back.

Notice the gap at the top between the pump cup and the tube. I dont remember this being there earlier. But I never had a reason to closely inspect the pistol when it was working fine. Perhaps its there as an inlet for the air. Perhaps its cause the forearm lever is moving further than needed cause of wear and tear. Also notice the dents in the main tube. Constant pumping slightly bent the area where the forearm lever link hits the main tube and I lightly hammered it to level. But the pump cup still offers no resistance when pumped. I will be ordering a spare main tube also. I was initially thinking a reblue but the spare is just $4.80!

Here's the exhaust valve assembly: It appears to be working fine but there are several cracks in the seals.

Here's the Valve body with the Stem out:

Here's a close up of the cracked o-ring on the stem:

I am ordering the whole exhaust valve as it makes more sense than replacing individual o-rings and discovering that something else is wrong with the assembly.

Here's the other o-rings on the valve.

These are suppose to fit really snug inside the main tube. They're fit well, but can be better.

Here's the Breech Casket:

And here's where it fits directly on the barrel:

Now the funny thing is that there is o-ring or any other kind of seal placed between the casket and the barrel. There is a sleeve type washer on the pump tube end, but strangely none on the barrel end.

I am ordering the casket and the sleeve.

Basically all the parts involved in the power generation/delivery stage will be replaced. The barrel is in excellent condition. So I wont be ordering it. Plus I'm hoping that the customs will have less issues with the other stuff than with the barrel. I will also be ordering a whole set of O-rings just in case.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Mo,

All that you need to do is replace the o-rings on the check valve and lube with silicon grease. Then replace the pump cup. The pistol seems to be easier to work on than the 2100 rifle. Luckily, the trigger group is separate see if you can order the 1760 barrel and a flat top piston from a guy called skyler his outfit is called PSP.

Have fun, I think you soon will be ;-).

Regards,

Dev

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Dev!

Its lucky indeed that the trigger assembly is separate. Only 2 screws and its out. No steps involved.

The whole procedure took less than 45 minutes. The only difficulty I faced was in removing the pin. Once it came out, everything was easy as pie.

Tomorrow, I'm going to place the order with Mark's contact. Once that gets here and I get the gun working, I'll order the mods. I want to order the main tube also cause its rusted a lot and re-ordering would be cheaper than rebluing..

I had my eye on the PSP site for a while now... But wanted to get the gun working before I got it. I'd also seen another guy who makes custom barrels for the 1377/1322 thats twice as long as the original. He also has a high performance valve on sale. But I cant remember what his name was. I had it in my favorites which I lost a while ago :-( PSP has not listed the 24" barrel separately. So I dont know if they have it for sale.

I have the shoulder stock. So only the barrel and the new pump/valve is all I need...

Another 2 weeks and I hope to get this baby pumping! (pun intended:-)
Last edited by Mo on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi Mo,

Go through the www.crosmanairgunforum.com and even I can't remember the barrel makers name maybe it was "crooked barn". Anyway your pistol will be pretty cool even in stock form, I'm sure you know that an additional stock converts it into a carbine heh heh :-).

Dev

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Yes it was Crooked Barn!!!!! God Bless ya Dev!!!! Thanks!!

Yup.. Carbine it is... :-)

The 1377 somehow holds a lot of possibilities. Its the oldest pistol I have after the 1008. But the power is awesome for something its size.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:26 am

Hey Dev,

Can you tell me exactly what all parts to lube?

Is it ok to lube the pump cup or should it be free of lube? Cause I cleaned the whole pistol thoroughly and there is no trace of lube inside the pump tube or on the pump cup.

Maybe its lack of lubrication thats causing the pump to move without resistance. I hope it is!!

But the only thing that gets me is that the gun just stopped working one fine day. There was no gradual reduction in power or anything of that sort. It just did not pump one fine day. But I had stopped using it frequently. Maybe the lube just dried and that killed it.

A possible theory?

Mo.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:41 am

Mo";p="41700 wrote: Hey Dev,

Can you tell me exactly what all parts to lube?

Is it ok to lube the pump cup or should it be free of lube? Cause I cleaned the whole pistol thoroughly and there is no trace of lube inside the pump tube or on the pump cup.

Maybe its lack of lubrication thats causing the pump to move without resistance. I hope it is!!

But the only thing that gets me is that the gun just stopped working one fine day. There was no gradual reduction in power or anything of that sort. It just did not pump one fine day. But I had stopped using it frequently. Maybe the lube just dried and that killed it.

A possible theory?

Mo.
A little silicone grease on the o-rings, pellgun oil or 2t on the pivot joints that's all ye need. Nothing on the pump cup as it functions well that way, lube isn't recommended there.

Your check valve just leaks when the o-rings wear out. So it won't hold air. Next the pump cups will wear out due to the nature of the beast. So maybe reduce the number of pumps to five or six while plinking.

So I hope that you ordered a bunch of them.

Dev

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 am

Thanks Dev..

You touched base. I have a feeling its just the pump cup thats the culprit here. Though the cracked o-ring on the valve stem may be cause to a leak.

I haven't placed an order yet. I intend to order one main tube, one valve assembly and several sets of O-rings. The o-rings are dirt cheap and it wouldn't hurt to have some extra.

I'm replacing the valve assembly cause 8 years will leave a mark no matter how good the part! I dont want to take any penny wise pound foolish chances. This'll leave me with a gun that'll last another 8 years and I'm all for it! :-)

I would like to have it converted to the bolt design of the newer 13xx series. Any pointers?

Once Mark's online, we'll start making headway.

Mo.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:51 am

Can you take pictures of everything and email them to the gentleman and ask his recommendations too? Especially for any upgrades you may wish to do.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Sure thing Mark. I'll take the pics and send it to him tomorrow.

Will he recognise you by name?