Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 am

Instead of cutting it from muzzle end ,remove the barrell and cut it from the back and refix it,,no need of recrowning.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:52 am

badshah0522";p="37929 wrote:Instead of cutting it from muzzle end ,remove the barrell and cut it from the back and refix it,,no need of recrowning.
Badshah, since the barrel will almost certainly be "press fitted" into the block - it would be much easier and safer to cut from the front and recrown... Doubt if this gun would be very accurate to begin with, so one of the home recrowning techniques suggested by others on this thread could suffice...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello mundaire bhiyia,
I want to tell u that its a 10 yr old AR and almost useless for practise. I use it to show it off ;)

So do u agree that I can cut the barrel n still shoot some close range targets

I am dreaming of doing something new all the day :)
Just Do it !

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am

advitiyas";p="38195 wrote:Hello mundaire bhiyia,
I want to tell u that its a 10 yr old AR and almost useless for practise. I use it to show it off ;)

So do u agree that I can cut the barrel n still shoot some close range targets

I am dreaming of doing something new all the day :)
Advi bhai,

If you want to show off, you'll need a Semi Auto Pistol .... :mrgreen:

Praneel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Strange !

Post by Praneel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 am

advitiyas";p="37837 wrote:And its a local made airgun of G.N.W, I bought 10 yrs ago for Rs 1000. It was a gift from father when I secured a 1st division in high school. And I just love it, that why i want to make unique, thats Y I was having those wild idea.

I will be psoting some picture for your Mr.Cottage Cheese

thanks
Hi, advitiyas. This sounds rather strange, but I have the same gun with the butt broken at the same point. And I am searching for a replacement. Here is a picture in my Blog.

Could you please tell me where I can get a replacement in India.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:17 pm

cottage cheese";p="38204 wrote: Advi bhai,

If you want to show off, you'll need a Semi Auto Pistol .... :mrgreen:
Dear CC,
Thanks for ur reply, I hope thats a joke.
Well I am guy from a small middle class family in a small town, lucknow. In here the guns r symbol of power n licensed to those who can manipulate the law. I know where my limits are! When I am passionate about rifle (not with Pistols) I do consider my family's view. I was about to get my license last year but I was instructed to better 'play' with ARs.

But that will not stop me of thinking big.
Just Do it !

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Praneel";p="38208 wrote:
Hi, advitiyas. This sounds rather strange, but I have the same gun with the butt broken at the same point. And I am searching for a replacement. Here is a picture in my Blog.

Could you please tell me where I can get a replacement in India.
Good to hear that I have the same AR as ur's. I bought it from a shop in Kanpur's Meston Road. I still remember that they a huge cache of different ARs n there was a work shop as well. I hope u get a stock made there. If u want I can ask for a stock in local shops in lucknow. May be u can get a second hand stock. I know a guy who is in repair business, but the price he quote will buy u a new one.

Pls can u rate the rifle? I am thinking of buying a new GNW 65, it was too powerful n accurate.

regards
advitiyas
Just Do it !

Praneel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Praneel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:02 pm

advitiyas";p="38218 wrote: Good to hear that I have the same AR as ur's. I bought it from a shop in Kanpur's Meston Road. I still remember that they a huge cache of different ARs n there was a work shop as well. I hope u get a stock made there. If u want I can ask for a stock in local shops in lucknow. May be u can get a second hand stock. I know a guy who is in repair business, but the price he quote will buy u a new one.

Pls can u rate the rifle? I am thinking of buying a new GNW 65, it was too powerful n accurate.
Thanks advitiyas. I found out that mine was bought in Hyderabad, AP. I asked them through my local sports shop dealer to get me a replacement. I will be looking for a new rifle and this repair when I am in Hyderabad.

I don't know about rating the rifle. Could you explain in detail. Is GNW still available in INDIA.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:17 pm

So I lost my patience today. I chopped the barrel to half its length and I was surprised to see the air rifle is still quite accurate. I used it for shooting a can from 10 m and I was able to do that with easy.

I am posting some picts of it

Just Do it !

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:21 pm

About stock I am thinking of using the gun with full stock for some days. I may cut it later, as its giving quite successful shots at close range.

I will test it for 20-30meters tonight.
Just Do it !

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Advityas,

I see what you mean, if your rifle shoots the same with or without a front sight!

Anyway, at this point the next thing to do is to clean up the crown. The simplest way for you to do that is to get an old computer mouse ball and peel the rubber off it, so you get the steel core. Then go to a mechanic shop that rebuilds engines and beg or buy about 1/4 teaspoon of "valve grinding compound", it is an abrasive paste. It is not that expensive to purchase -an entire tube of it here in the states will cost 120 rupees and that is for a big tube, enough to do a hundred or two barrel crowns.

Put a trace on the ball and keep turning the ball around in the muzzle of the rifle, you can hear the paste cutting, being between the steel ball and the bore of the gun. Keep turning until you have a uniform ring all around the muzzle, take care to keep it uniform and even and not to cut to one side or the other. When you are happy, stop. Compare it to the original crown, assuming that was cut properly too.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 pm

advitiyas";p="38241 wrote:So I lost my patience today. I chopped the barrel to half its length and I was surprised to see the air rifle is still quite accurate. I used it for shooting a can from 10 m and I was able to do that with easy.

I am posting some picts of it
Hi Advi...

Well...you've passed the point of no return. Congratulations! Your first hardware hack on a gun(I assume) :)

The barrel looks like a normal bored-through walla and not a lined type....so you shouldn't face all that hardship and tribulation I'd mentioned in an earlier post- Which is quite good.

Also noticed the rifling seems to be pretty crisp and in good(ish) condition.

You should be able to attempt crowning it without much heartache.

Mark's suggestions seems pretty sound. There are several approaches, see which suits your budget and ability best.

Yaar, I was only joking about the Semi Auto Pistol....kind of a spill over from another interesting thread about revolvers :)

Regards,
cc

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Before you recrown make sure the cut is at right angles to the bore.

Also chamfer/smoothen out the outer edge of the muzzle or you may cut your hand on a sharp edge.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for your replies. Well I agree that its not a good idea to mess with the barrel. I have had hard time cleaning up the mess.

I try the air rifle for shooting at distance objects, in this case a steel telephone pillar. I was successful. Thats was last night. This morning when I check it for 10 m shooting, it is evident that crown need a brushing. All my shots r deflecting to the upper right corner.

Still, I am enjoying the portability of the gun, now that I don't need much space to move it around. I think, It fine for me.

What do u think, should I cut the butt as well?

thanks
regards
advitiyas
Just Do it !

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:42 pm

advitiyas";p="38291 wrote: This morning when I check it for 10 m shooting, it is evident that crown need a brushing. All my shots r going in the upper right corner.

thanks
regards
advitiyas
Did u fixed the front sight???????
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"