Which airgun should I buy?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
dodger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dodger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 pm

gr8 article .. Helps a lot.
Guns are Good ;)

For Advertising mail webmaster
ramgounder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ramgounder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:21 am

Hi gunners, this is my first post. I am novice to guns and desperate to buy one. :twisted:

After going thru the forums, websites I made up my mind to buy an IHP 35 .22" 8)
I work in chennai & hometown near coimbatore. As i dont see any IHP franchisee in coimbatore, I have planned to buy it from the chennai dealer.

I feel i need to have some insight abt this bfore i go to the dealer.

my requirement is for pest-control with good power, accuracy & also for plinking

please shed me some light on
1. there are 2 models of IHP 35 .22" listed at
http://www.indianhumepipe.com/index1.html
I want to know the difference bw them interms of fps, power, suited for pest-control, price,front/peep sight?
2. what i need to verify while purchasing the gun?
3. for pest-control which i should prefer front or peep sight?
4. atlast anyone from erode/coimbatore/chennai so that I can meet you in person to get some more info

please spare some time & enlighten this rookie. :roll:

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which airgun should I buy?

Post by TenX » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:58 am

Hi Ramgounder...
Welcome to IFG :)
.. Good to know you have decided on getting yourself an IHP... As for your questions, here is some input from me...

I want to know the difference bw them interms of fps, power, suited for pest-control, price,front/peep sight?
The difference, if any, is also listed in the same URL link you provided. The basic difference between MOD 25 and MOD 35 is the stock and overall length, with the latter being more. Other than that, the models within the MOD 35 is mostly the stock and some rear sight add-ons. Deluxe has a raised rear-stock cheek rest. IHP 35 has an additional sighting hole, while the National 35 does not. Rest all is same, and you dont have any option with that :)
2. what i need to verify while purchasing the gun?
Check for the stock (wood part) to be in good condition. Avoid those that have too many uneven stains and blemishes. Try to get one which has the lines (grains) running parallel to the barrel. If the dealer can give you a few shots to try out the gun before buying it, try to shoot 3-5 pellets from as many guns as possible. The one in which you get the best grouping should be your first priority. Sometimes, if the grouping is very far off the aiming point, you may need to avoid that, since there is a certain limit to the correction of sights that you can make to an IHP. Try to buy the one that gives you the optimal grouping as close to the aiming mark as possible. Dont hesitate to use a support to try out the guns, if you can get one. You will also find variations in trigger mechanisms and recoil between guns. Most of them should naturally settle down after a few hundred shots have been fired. I would also suggest you check if there is not much play in the front of barrel, when the action is open. Also check for play of the rear sight. They should be firm and should not have any movement. Same with fore sight, although the fore sight is one of the lesser areas of manufacturing defect. Some other problems like manufacturing defects in deeper areas can usually be found out only when the gun is dissembled. But most IHP problems can be repaired. Try to get the dealer to give you a guarantee, and get someone who is good with such guns to open it and check it once you get home.
3. for pest-control which i should prefer front or peep sight?
Peep sight is very difficult to use for any moving target, moresoever at close range. Suggest you stick with the Open sights to nail those rats..
4. atlast anyone from erode/coimbatore/chennai so that I can meet you in person to get some more info
You will find lot of buddies here on IFG.. Hope you have a gala time :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:16 am

Hello ramgounder
take the help of striker/ebenezer of chennai to help you in the choice of a gun shop. you will be in for a royal fleecing otherwise.
regs
sudhaiob

ramgounder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ramgounder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:44 am

Tenx, thanks a lot for the info... it will be very useful...

sudhaiob, i ll check out striker/ebenezer on this.. thanks man

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Longbow or R9?? Advice please

Post by tirths » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Guys, I am kinda confused about choosing a break barrel. Please help me to choose one.

Longbow will be $295, Turkish made. LW barrel.
And R9 will be $325, German made, hw barrel.

-Tirtha

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:02 pm

The R9 clone B26 of China is being liked a lot in US; with a more than decent 2 stage trigger and half the cost!

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:46 pm

Well, presently, I am not thinking anything other than these two or price range of $300~450 that doesn't mean I don't like cheapo.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm

ramgounder";p="60378 wrote: Tenx, thanks a lot for the info... it will be very useful...

hi Ram
welcome to IFG,i would be glad to help you here...

cheers
sankar
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------99.9% of the World's Gunners are 100% SAFE.Please do not ruin their reputation by being stupid or using guns in violence!!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:54 am

tirths";p="60403 wrote: ...Longbow will be $295, Turkish made. LW barrel.
And R9 will be $325, German made, hw barrel. ...
For 30$ more, you get German make, which I would say is better... :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

ramgounder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ramgounder » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:45 am

striker";p="60407 wrote:
ramgounder";p="60378 wrote: Tenx, thanks a lot for the info... it will be very useful...

hi Ram
welcome to IFG,i would be glad to help you here...

cheers
sankar
thanks a lot chennai IFG, i ll call u ppl soon.

Ram

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 am

TenX";p="60412 wrote:For 30$ more, you get German make, which I would say is better... :)
Well, I am not too emotional about country brand :) May be that's the reason why it it difficult so to choose one :)

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 am

There's something really unique about British designed guns. I'll go with the Longbow :)

Ashok

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:58 am

tirths";p="60440 wrote: ...Well, I am not too emotional about country brand :) ...
Well.. more than country brand, there is a quality stamp to most German made stuff... And I thought that was a good edge :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 pm

RWS 52 Luxus and RWS Stutzen have been discontinued by RWS and Pyramydair has bought all the remaining stock. Both these rifles are being sold at a reduced price. Worth a dekko.