Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
mulki
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Problem with Airgun Import at Bangalore Customs

Post by mulki » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 pm

I have a problem with Bangalore Customs. They are asking for NRAI Membership to clear an Air Rifle. Fedex has sent me a copy of a new Notification where it has an amended section that does not appear to have any mention of State or District Clubs as it used to earlier, nor does it have any mention of Airguns.

I am attaching copy of the Notification Customs has sent me. The amended section makes no mention of Air Rifles but just says "import of arms ... is permitted freely ...". No mention of Airguns as the previous section seems to have been removed entirely.

Any suggestions on this? I have sent them my State Rifle Club Membership Card copy and Letter both Notarized as requested by Fedex but they have not been accepted.
GUN NOTI.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Mulki

For Advertising mail webmaster
David
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by David » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Here is how it defines.

2. Existing Import Licensing Note (1) in Chapter 93 of ITC (HS) Classifications of Export and Import Items prior to this amendment is extracted below:
“Import of arms is permitted against a license to renowned shooters/rifle clubs for their own use on the recommendation of Department of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India. -- THIS IS FOR ARMS

BELOW IS FOR AIRGUNS: So I don't think you need a NRAI
However, Import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association. ( THIS CLEARLY SAYS THAT IT CAN BE Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association

THE BELOW SPEAKS ABOUT THE IMPORT by a NRAI person AND Supplying the same to Other Eligible Shooters from Other registered clubs or Associations

Free import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will also be allowed to National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for supplying the same to the eligible State Rifle Association / Clubs and to the eligible shooters. NRAI shall be required to keep appropriate account of the imported weapons.

mulki
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mulki » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:45 pm

David wrote:Here is how it defines.

2. Existing Import Licensing Note (1) in Chapter 93 of ITC (HS) Classifications of Export and Import Items prior to this amendment is extracted below:
“Import of arms is permitted against a license to renowned shooters/rifle clubs for their own use on the recommendation of Department of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India. -- THIS IS FOR ARMS

BELOW IS FOR AIRGUNS: So I don't think you need a NRAI
However, Import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association. ( THIS CLEARLY SAYS THAT IT CAN BE Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association

THE BELOW SPEAKS ABOUT THE IMPORT by a NRAI person AND Supplying the same to Other Eligible Shooters from Other registered clubs or Associations

Free import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will also be allowed to National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for supplying the same to the eligible State Rifle Association / Clubs and to the eligible shooters. NRAI shall be required to keep appropriate account of the imported weapons.
I was able to clear the package after writing to FedEx and explaining that Notification was about Arms. Customs accepted the explanation.

However the line about Airguns being free for import by District, State Clubs is missing from the amended text. This will cause an issue if Customs raises an objection. The earlier Notification was very clear, the amended text does not mention Airguns at all.

Regards,
--
Mulki

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:03 am

I'm planning to get an airsoft gun shipped to India where it'll end up detained in the FPO.

I have gotten my stuff released from them previously, but it mostly consisted of a spare Army glock17 gas magazine, Tokyo Marui Mid-cap Magazine for my classic army G36 and my car DVR which they detained for no specific reason.

If I have to go there, I can explain why there's a gun in the package. Is it possible for them to release it to me like any other detained package!?

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Dear Friends, My airgun is stuck up at Bangalore customs from past 10 days they are insisting for NARI member ship and letter from NARI for clearance and i have given all possible documentation and explanation to the concerned A.C of customs..but still not released .. can any one can guide me on this matter, do RTI will be helpful ? DO any law for import of .177 has changed recently !!!
Sometimes if you want to get rid of the gun, you have to pick the gun up.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello Rijo,
The Bangalore customs-courier division are adopting a partial and non-transparent process for clearing of airgun shipments. Had a word with the Superintendent of customs today regarding an airgun I have imported that is awaiting clearance. They claim they cannot clear it as per the new rules.

I have filed RTI applications seeking information on various aspects of their functioning. Planning to meet the Superintendent of Customs- Vigilance tomorrow to present my case in person.

Regards,
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00 pm

An interesting turn of events, I was told today that the Superintendent and Inspector in the Courier division of the airport customs are sitting on the airgun shipments of a lot of gullible rifle association members. I have decided to take personal interest in this matter and flush them clear from their warehouses! :D

Attached below are screenshots of some of the RTIs I have filed-

In addition to these, I have written a complaint to the Director General of Vigilance-Customs, The Chief Commissioner of Customs, The Additional Commissioner of Customs and The Asst. Commissioner of Customs-Courier division.

Waiting eagerly for replies from these people. 8)

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

riahmoso
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by riahmoso » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Dear Pran my consignment is also detained in Bangalore customs from September 2013, I also want to legally proceed for it can you help me for the procedure. plz P.m me.
thanks.
my mail I.d is riahmoso(at)yahoo(dot)com

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 am

Pran wrote:An interesting turn of events, I was told today that the Superintendent and Inspector in the Courier division of the airport customs are sitting on the airgun shipments of a lot of gullible rifle association members. I have decided to take personal interest in this matter and flush them clear from their warehouses! :D

Attached below are screenshots of some of the RTIs I have filed-

In addition to these, I have written a complaint to the Director General of Vigilance-Customs, The Chief Commissioner of Customs, The Additional Commissioner of Customs and The Asst. Commissioner of Customs-Courier division.

Waiting eagerly for replies from these people. 8)

Pran
Great going Pran! :agree:

I bet they wont be able to come up with an explanation and will cite some stone age clause or something which wont even make sense!

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks Mulki for your inputs!

Thanks Scoutsniper.

Riahmoso,
I am unsure about the circumstances under which your airgun is detained. You will have to give me more details. From what information I have at the moment, around fifteen airguns that were imported through courier are detained by the customs. What is alarming is the fact that they are declaring shipments that are more than three months old as 'abandoned shipments' and are auctioning them :x

Pran

riahmoso
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by riahmoso » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Dear Pran,
They ask me NRAI letter to release shipment I am member of Rifle association Andhra pradesh, Nrai is to giving the letter this is the case.
Thanks

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Dear Riahmoso,
Do take a legal course to your problem. Check your pm please.

Pran

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am

Dear Pran, Really appreciate your time and energy you put for every one please do advice us what to be done individually.

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 am

New update ..what a job...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello Rijo,
The Fedex agent Venk$#@ mailed me a copy of the 'Circular' too. I am Sl. No.2 on the list :x

On a more serious note, the customs officials are behaving in an unconstitutional way by holding back our shipments. They are purposefully misinterpreting the provisions allowing import of airguns. I urge you take the legal recourse to clear your shipment. Here is a copy of my complaint-

Regards
Pran