PCP Refill Options

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
anirudhchauhan1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

PCP Refill Options

Post by anirudhchauhan1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 am

Hi!

I have a sumatra 2500 and a air venturi G4 hand pump, but that is a cumbersome task to fill air, are there any other options also available for recharging a PCP in India, tanks etc, pls advise this is really important.
Best Regards

:arrow:
Anirudh Chauhan

For Advertising mail webmaster
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: PCP Refill Options

Post by m24 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 am

Check this thread.

1) Next time onwards, please do a search before starting a new thread.
2) Please don't post the same thing in multiple posts.
3) And as Nagarifle mentioned earlier, it would be better to remove your personal contact details from a public forum. The same can be misused.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Anirudh

m24 is absolutely correct batter you remove your personal info from your signature as it can be misused

I doubt if any compress air( of 200 BAR or 3000 psi) is avble in INDIA besides Navel Training Centers, or seashore tourist place.

you may try industrial Nitrogen Cylinder for filling , I have seen few ppl are using medical O2 but will not advise as it is potentially very dengerous

If you need to sell sumatra, plz PM me

regards n Happy Diwali

Pritam
Last edited by PRITAM PATEL on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Compressed air is available everywhere. At all car service stations, at all local puncture wallas, at all workshops doing spray painting jobs etc. Everywhere where there is a pneumatic compressor you have compressed air.

You just need to buy / make a sort of a adapter to connect the compressor to the pcp tank / gun.

I just have not tried it but apart from this one fact there is no reason why it should not work.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Rajat, PCPs need Diving grade compressed air. Please refer to earlier threads on why.

Anirudh, please go thorough past posts in the airgun section for discussions relevant to the topic. I doubt there is anything new to add.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:Rajat, PCPs need Diving grade compressed air. Please refer to earlier threads on why.

Anirudh, please go thorough past posts in the airgun section for discussions relevant to the topic. I doubt there is anything new to add.
If so then how is it that pcp's can be filled with hand pumps too.

-- Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 pm --

"Earlier hand pumps for charging carried with them problems of fatigue (both human and mechanical), temperature warping, and condensation. None of those is beneficial to good shooting or the longevity of the rifle. Modern hand pumps have built-in air filtration systems and have overcome many of these problems. Using scuba-quality air decanted from a scuba cylinder also provides a clean, dry, high-pressure air supply that is consistent and available at low cost."

Today pneumatic compressors at all workshops and spray painting workshops are fitted with filters and air dryers / moisture separators and supply clean air as this is required for all pneumatic tools and spray painters painting your car also do not afford to have unclean and moist air as it causes a lot of problems with their work too.

It should work pretty well as some of these also have regulators with presetting abilities. You just need to find the right place.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 pm

as far as use of pumps, there is only only one pump worth buying Hill Pump with moisture trap of course. All other pumps will brake quite soon and you will have to buy Hill pump after all. So, do not waste you hard earned $$$$ and buy Hill pump right away. It is my honest opinion and I do not deal in Hill pumps.

Scuba cylinders can be filled by electric compressor like Bauer cost about 2LK, it is very clean air with no moisture. Problem with using only scuba cylinder is that you will have always different pressure, but it is very much advisable to fill up your cylinder up to maximum working pressure each time you going to train or at least before competition. But scuba cylinder will give you some time 120 bars or some time 160 bars. It depends on what kind of pressure in cylinder at that moment. If working pressure of your gun 200 you can top it up with help of Hill pump.

Rajat, for air rifles you need high pressure compressor usually 3 stage, most industrial compressors can give you 20-30 bars of pressure only, instead of 200 bars which you may need for most PCP.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

pramodsid
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pramodsid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Subal das wrote:as far as use of pumps, there is only only one pump worth buying Hill Pump with moisture trap of course. All other pumps will brake quite soon and you will have to buy Hill pump after all. So, do not waste you hard earned $$$$ and buy Hill pump right away. It is my honest opinion and I do not deal in Hill pumps.
I agree with Subal 100% about the Hill Pumps with Moisture Trap and would also like to inform readers that my opinion might differ with yours.

The reason would be, I used many brands and have moved to Hill Pump with moisture trap as my backup setup. The ease for parts and maintenance and its built like a tank.....In order to use the moisture trap to its best, with Mumbai climate the refill pac would have to be replaced min 4 times a year.......and during the monsoon even more frequently. That’s what I don’t like, the maintenance part :evil:

And my primary setup is a drager tank (6ltr) portable, filled to 300 bar (zero air) does the job great........ :D

Happy Safe Shooting !!!
Regards,
Pramod P

-----Being on par in terms of price and quality only gets you into the game------
--------------------Service wins the game---------------

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Rajat wrote:
If so then how is it that pcp's can be filled with hand pumps too.
-
Rajat, this is precisely the reason I politely refer you to earlier posts on PCPs. The PCP handpumps are totally different from the usual cycle pumps. For a start, they deal much with higher pressures. I would honestly advise you against filling your precious PCP from a spray gun compressor, however clean it advertises itself. But if you choose to do so, your wish. Just consider the fact that repairing PCPs is not cheap, anywhere in the world.

Subhai, most airgunners here consider the moisture trap in Hills pump a marketing gimmick. I have personally been using the FX three stage for years now. Haven't rusted my gun, yet :D, considering the notorious English weather.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Guys here are my 2 cents
1. Never fill PCP with a PCP hand pump like Hills or any other varient. If you must do use it in a clean room and AC turned on for last 30 min even if it is winters.

2. Your best option is to use scuba tank. Every range will have this option.

3. Having a Scuba tank @ home will be an initial expensive investment. But refilling is not very expensive.

Thanks
Regards
Gaurav

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

scuba tank refiled by compressors, I doubt air from compressor on my shooting range better then from the Hill pump which I have at home. Compressor on range installed in humid room and air filter never been changed in last few years and there is no moisture trap at all. Hill pump has two air filters, which can be changed easily and moisture trap. Another thing, you never know what pressure in scuba tank, with pump you can pump exact pressure always. It is very important for competitive shooters,as you should train and go for competition with your rifle filled up to maximum of working pressure always. Cant see how it can be done without a pump. Often during competitions there is simply no air available at the moment, when you need to go to shot, in such situation only option is a pump. Ignore it and it will cost you good number of points in score.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:13 am

gverma wrote: 1. Never fill PCP with a PCP hand pump like Hills or any other varient. If you must do use it in a clean room and AC turned on for last 30 min even if it is winters.
Never is a strong word young man.

Throughout the world, PCPs are not only used to punch holes in paper, but hunt. So what do you do when you are outdoors? Ask the old man in the clouds to turn the AC on? :mrgreen:

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 pm

hamiclar01 wrote: The PCP handpumps they deal much with higher pressures. I would honestly advise you against filling your precious PCP from a spray gun compressor, however clean it advertises itself. But if you choose to do so, your wish. Just consider the fact that repairing PCPs is not cheap, anywhere in the world.
hamiclar & subal

Sorry guys, :oops: I have checked and agree with you. Although clean air can still be obtained from a compressor but not the required psi. Most of the regular compressors generate upto 350 psi or less while the pressure we are talking about here is 2000 to 3000 psi. There are specialized compressors available but these are for very specialized industries so again its like looking for a needle in a hay stack and we are better of with a pump.

Should have researched before posting. Anyway I stand to gain from your knowledge. :)

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am

Somebody here was importing Hill pumps-who was he.also are scuba tanks availaible and what about refills for them,how does an aam aadmi do it.i spoke to some Co in delhi who market scuba tanks but they insisited one requires a licence for their import
Last edited by andy_65_in on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

hi.which is the best pcp pump-is it fx or hills