Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51 am

Vivek,

I recently bought a Crosman 1377 with me on my trip to India. I had it in a hard case inside one of my bigger bags. I made it through customs with a little hassle. They basically wanted to know whether I needed a license etc for the gun.

Just carry all the documents you listed earlier. And also carry a print out of the page that specifies that you can carry an air rifle from TSA's site just in case. www.tsa.gov

You will definitely need to put the gun in a hard case that is lockable. If it is too big to fit inside ur bigger bags, it will be counted as one piece of checked-in luggage. The last I checked, it was $125 for every additional pieces of checked-in luggage.

I too think you will have no problems till Mumbai. Beyond that, Good Luck :)

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

For Advertising mail webmaster
vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Bringing in a Crosman 0.22 air rifle from US

Post by vivek009 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 am

IT HAS ARRIVED SAFELY!!!

The Crosman Quest 800X has arrived safely in Indore. My friend did have some hassle at the Texas airport, with TSA as well as Delta. At one point, they simply said that you cannot carry the gun. Their main point, I guess, was that it should have been in a hard case. My friend, even after my advice, was carrying the dismembered gun in a soft cover suitcase. He finally managed through, thanks to the TSA approved locks he had on his suitcase.
Surprisingly enough, he didn't have any trouble with Mumbai customs. All they did was check all his stuff since he had declared that he is carrying an airgun. He did not even have to pay duty since all his stuff was less than $500.
I don't know the whole story yet. Will chat with him in the evening to get the step by step account of what happened. Will post the story here for eveybody's benefit.

As of now, the bottomline is that the gun has arrived safely. I am dying to see it, hold it, but will have to wait till tomorrow evening. Will also post some pics of the gun when I get it.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Without your advice, this wouldn't have been posssible.

Cheers
Vivek

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:12 am

I am a sucker for happy endings. :mrgreen:

Congrats, have loads of fun and shoot safely.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 pm

vivek009";p="11568 wrote:IT HAS ARRIVED SAFELY!!!

Will post the story here for eveybody's benefit.

As of now, the bottomline is that the gun has arrived safely. I am dying to see it, hold it, but will have to wait till tomorrow evening. Will also post some pics of the gun when I get it.

Cheers
Vivek
Cheers to you Vivek !

Will look forward to the stage by stage .script and the pics :D
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 pm

congrats vivek.... do post the pics... we are egarly waiting to see the pics.

Danish

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Congrats Vivek,

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Congratulations Vivek,

One more, Hope there are many many more to come:)

guys, this gives absolute confidence to get airguns into india..I always had butterflies whenever I landed in India with my airguns:)...never knowing what to expect, but still got them:)

Cheers
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:26 am

Congrats Vivek..good friend indeed..

Rgds

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:24 am

ngrewal";p="11592 wrote:Congrats Vivek..good friend indeed.
That's an understatement!

The number of times I have been ditched, sometimes at the very last hour, isn't funny. Finally sold off all the air-rifles in England in sheer frustation.

Mack The Knife

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

New Gamo CFX Royal and Diana 35

Post by Hunter » Sat May 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi all,
The above two guns have just come into my possession.The Diana 35 even has a spare .22 caliber barrel.
Am trying to attach photos of the same....
Will detail the buying and import details later as still on holiday.
Take care

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:59 am

Hunter,

Do let us know what you think about the CFX. I am seriously considering buying one. I want a fixed barrel, and can't yet afford a RWS. Hope the CFX is everything it claims.

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:17 am

hey hunter

am a newb around here, but would love to go in for the diana 35 do let me know how the gun is and how much did u get it for
Also do let me know the process of buying one

thanks alot
Siddharth

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: New Gamo CFX Royal and Diana 35

Post by Hunter » Mon May 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi Guys,
Apologies if my replies are few and far in between.
Amit I have used my friends CFX with the composite stock and it was fairly accurate and lightweight to carry. The power levels are decent too with about 16 ft.lbs of muzzle energy.I have purchased the CFX Royal with the wood stock as its a personal preference.I would personally rate this Gamo product a little below Diana/RWS
products in build quality.But they are rugged pieces,and can take a lot of abuse in the field. I have yet to try out my Gamo but will update this forum as and when I get the opportunity to do so.My advice to you to is go for it.

Hi Siddarth,
I purchased the Gamo from Captains store in Dubai for approx DHS770/-and the Diana 35 from Alsayad again in dubai for approx DHS 685/-.The spare .22 caliber for the Diana cost me DHS 210/. We vacationed in Dubai and I did plan on buying an air-rifle in .177 caliber whilst there to bring back as personal baggage. But I did take the risk of also picking up a .22 caliber additional air-rifle(Gamo) and letting my wife carrying that one with her.We packed the same in 2 plastic Gun Guard cases but covered them in brown packing cardboard.Total lenght was not more than 3 feet. Mind u I carried my fire-arms permit and club membership cards so as to be fully prepared for the boys in white on arrival.

Edited by Mod-
Hunter
I am sure that you will try and help out our members by posting about the LEGALITY of importing airguns-VERY MUCH LEGAL- and the advantages of carrying club membership (original documentation) to facilitate entry into India if brought as personal luggage...
So, for those of our members who are interested , YES it is legal to import airguns, as outlined by Hunter above, and as previously mentioned, .177 cal , by post/courier.
As a price authentication, he should be posting the bills etc which will be an asset for valuation too, for all you air gunners out there
Axx

Am still holidaying abroad but will def,try and post u copies of the bills etc and photos.

Take care//

Lenny
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lenny » Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi Hunter
Is that spare barrel for the Diana still available?
let me know or pm me,
I stay in Bangalore

lenny

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Lenny,

The spare barrels in .177/.22 were available in plenty for the Diana at the time I purchased the same,mind u the Mods-35/36/38/31/45 all use the same barrel.
I am still out of town but will Pm you with the contact numbers of the place when I get back.

Take care//