Review: Precihole PX100 Achilles

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Review: Precihole PX100 Achilles

Post by GNV » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:12 pm

This is an unregulated PCP that is why the velocities are raising as the pressure decreases. The pressure in the tank keeps the air release valve closed and at higher pressures the hammer encounters more resistance to open the valve when fired and less air flows through the valve. As the tank pressure decreases the hammer encounters less resistance and air release valve remains open for relatively more time and more air flows through the valve. If we have a regulator between the air release valve and air tank, no matter what the tank pressure is the pressure in the regulator's air chamber remains the same and the variation in velocities in a flat band instead of steadily raising with falling pressure. The regulator too need a minimum pressure in the tank for it to operate properly. When the air tank pressure falls below this pressure the regulator stops functioning and the gun then acts like an unregulated one.

For Advertising mail webmaster
maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Makes sense.. but on their website, Precihole says that the PCP operates with a 'self regulating valve'', I thought that means there is a mechanism that is put in there to regulate the air release.. Would a regulated PCP have an even flatter variation in FPS from one shot to the other?

Regards,
Maanbir

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:16 pm

There would always be shot to shot variations. But the curve of the band within which the variations take place would flat.

Added in 5 minutes 25 seconds:
When ordering the gun I too thought that the gun is a regulated PCP. " Self Regulating Valve " is quite misleading.

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:41 pm

That's very interesting, thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience, even though it's unregulated, it seems to shoot consistently and accurately. Looking forward to you sharing your experience on long range accuracy. Happy Shooting!

Regards,
Maanbirs

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 pm

5 Shot Groups at 30 mt and 35 mt.
JSB 10.34 grn
Scope sighted for windage only and milldot reference for POI
Gun rested on a sock filled with rice.
Shot without taking much care just to see how it groups.
30 mt.jpg
30 mt Magazine.jpg
35 mt.jpg
35mt Magazine.jpg
Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
If shot with care I think I can shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards. And I am an average shooter only.
This Gun is Best Value For Money.
GNV

Added in 8 minutes 4 seconds:
Size of Bulls eye on 30 mt target is 15 mm.
Size of #10 ring on 35 mt target is 1 inch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rajorshi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajorshi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 am

For the first PCP air rifle in India, I would say the groups are really good. On par with all but premium rifles. Great gun, PH and great shooting, GNV! All I can say now is that I hope the gun is built to last.
Accuracy aside, thank you for your report, Scarecrow3 and GNV, especially on your experience in filling the gun. My opinion has been that if anything works against this gun, as far as sales is concerned, it is the effort required to fill it. I have not entirely dismissed by original opinion, but your report does force me to reconsider.

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

Hi GNV,
Excellent shooting sir, and really nice groups! The JSBs seem to work really well too..

Regards,
Maanbir

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Rajorshi wrote:For the first PCP air rifle in India, I would say the groups are really good. On par with all but premium rifles. Great gun, PH and great shooting, GNV! All I can say now is that I hope the gun is built to last.
Accuracy aside, thank you for your report, Scarecrow3 and GNV, especially on your experience in filling the gun. My opinion has been that if anything works against this gun, as far as sales is concerned, it is the effort required to fill it. I have not entirely dismissed by original opinion, but your report does force me to reconsider.
Build quality of the gun can be assessed only after at least an year of use. To me it seems PH tried to save some money by adopting their regular springer stock to this gun instead of designing a new stock that fits the gun like a glove. While with this stock PH springers look beautiful this stock makes PX-100 ugly at least to me. With a shortened fore end and with the fore end shaped like on a HW 100 this gun would look sexy.

The main reason I think why sales of this gun is so low is the cost of the gun and required equipment to fill it. People may not mind the gun's price but a Hill Pump costs 16.5 K ( same as it would cost in USA ) in India and FX magazines are expensive [ cost $ 63 plus shipping where as similar design Maraudar Magzines cost only $ 17 plus Shipping]. Scuba Tank option costs more than a Pump and their recharging facilities exist only in Big cities on Coastline and with major shooting clubs only. Even if PH comes out with their own pump and magazines which I hope would cost much less than the current options, only serious airgunners would purchase this gun. People buying their first PCP would definitely purchase this gun if they just try it once.

GNV

Added in 4 minutes 51 seconds:
I intend to compare this gun with a friends Maraudar which costs 70K+ in India. My opinion is this gun comes behind a Maraudar only in the sound department. Maraudar has a shrouded barrel.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Quite good .

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I have been very foolishly keeping my Achilles's hammer in cocked state with safety on ever since I received the gun some 25 days ago. As a result the hammer spring lost some of its tension and power came down. I was wondering why the muzzle crack reduced. Then the reason occurred to me. I wrote to Dr.Shirsat and he is sending a new spring.
Meanwhile today I did an experiment and managed to get average muzzle energy of full 15 ft-lbs with JSB 10.34 grn pellets at 200 BAR pressure.
It has been raining since early this morning on and off. Between the spells when light permitted me I managed to shoot a 9 shot string before light again faded.
Here is the link to Chrony Readings.

Rajorshi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajorshi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:46 pm

@GNV:
I don't understand. Your hammer Spring has weakened and yet you are now getting more power than before? Your prior report indicates you were getting max. 13.8 FPE.
PS: have not watched the video, in case the answer to my question is there.

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi GNV
Thanks for ur honest review and
I want to ask you that which pellet is the most accurate for this ph pcp from ur point of view

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 am

(y)

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Rajorshi wrote:@GNV:
I don't understand. Your hammer Spring has weakened and yet you are now getting more power than before? Your prior report indicates you were getting max. 13.8 FPE.
PS: have not watched the video, in case the answer to my question is there.
I tweeked the gun a little :)
I am getting this power at 200 BAR and as pressure decreases..................

Added in 2 minutes 54 seconds:
watch the pressure curve

Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
vast wrote:Hi GNV
Thanks for ur honest review and
I want to ask you that which pellet is the most accurate for this ph pcp from ur point of view
JSBs are the best

suhailraichur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by suhailraichur » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Is their any provision for a bipod on px 100..by simple modification? N does any 1 has a bug buster scope for sale? Or any good magnum spring rated scope for 350 or 460.?