My Air rifles: SDB Artemis (Waiting for rebirth), Precihole SX100 Pegasus

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by Basu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Anupam Goswami wrote:Today my Artemis was delivered. It was shipped in a plywood box which was nailed shut. The barrel and stock were separate and required only three screws to attach.76109AAA-E0F7-4EBE-8C19-22B551819E6F.jpeg

The picture doesn’t do it justice. It really is beautiful.

A container of wadcutter pellets came free with the rifle. I haven’t tried them yet.1047B180-BA92-47C3-B40C-614B53C0B797.jpeg

I had asked for some pointed pellets and Mr. Jha sent these United shots superpointed.769BBD36-E424-4CD5-B8E6-ADAF032CB884.jpeg

I shot three hundred of these pellets today in batches of thirty shots each. These pellets, though cheap, are not consistent in size and symmetry. Some fit tight in the breech while some were loose. Similarly, some pellets were skewed. But they cost only ₹160 per pack of 500 pellets.

31FC3643-66CD-4B43-AB92-8E76B2BC5932.jpeg
This is my first spread of thirty shots. These shots were taken from a distance of 40 feet, off hand, while seated on a chair. If you count, there are less than thirty holes. That is because some shots were so wayward that they didn’t even hit the paper. By the way, I printed this target myself. The bull’s eye is one inch in diameter. The pellet catcher I made a few days ago, held well. None of the shots managed to pass through.

846BC720-81FE-4C39-967D-E6107B0CF98C.jpeg

Midway through the third batch of thirty shots, I noticed that the screw on the front right side of the stock has become loose. I tightened it. The screws aren’t tempered and one can strip them if excess torque is applied. By this time, I also started experimenting with various stances. I attempted artillery hold and tried various postures. But throughout the afternoon, I couldn’t find any comfortable and stable stance. My leading hand(left) kept shaking minutely. Even though, at one point, I managed to put four pellets in the bull’s eye, I must say that my shots had no control and my stance lacked stability.

By the time I was done with my tenth batch of thirty shots, it was getting dark and my leading shoulder was sore. And my last spread of today was no better than my first one. I feel it is going to be a long journey from spreads to close groups.
Be sure that next 500 shots you are going to hit everywhere except centre :mrgreen: .
After that you will find this gun interesting.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Vimalkarur wrote:What is the distance between you and the target. If this is a 25 mt target, it is ok if you are a new shooter. But you need to do a lot of practice. First try resting the gun and shoot less than 1" group at 10 yards, And move to 25 yards. This will improve your confidence and show you the real capacity of your weapon. Then you can try standing freehand shooting.

Also try different pellets, because each barrel likes particular pellet. Do some experiment and find the ideal pellet for your gun.

The distance is 40 feet.
I am trying to improve.

Which pellet in your opinion, suits best with Artemis?

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Basu wrote:
Anupam Goswami wrote:Today my Artemis was delivered. It was shipped in a plywood box which was nailed shut. The barrel and stock were separate and required only three screws to attach.76109AAA-E0F7-4EBE-8C19-22B551819E6F.jpeg

A container of wadcutter pellets came free with the rifle. I haven’t tried them yet.1047B180-BA92-47C3-B40C-614B53C0B797.jpeg

I had asked for some pointed pellets and Mr. Jha sent these United shots superpointed.769BBD36-E424-4CD5-B8E6-ADAF032CB884.jpeg

I shot three hundred of these pellets today in batches of thirty shots each. These pellets, though cheap, are not consistent in size and symmetry. Some fit tight in the breech while some were loose. Similarly, some pellets were skewed. But they cost only ₹160 per pack of 500 pellets.

This is my first spread of thirty shots. These shots were taken from a distance of 40 feet, off hand, while seated on a chair. If you count, there are less than thirty holes. That is because some shots were so wayward that they didn’t even hit the paper. By the way, I printed this target myself. The bull’s eye is one inch in diameter. The pellet catcher I made a few days ago, held well. None of the shots managed to pass through.

Midway through the third batch of thirty shots, I noticed that the screw on the front right side of the stock has become loose. I tightened it. The screws aren’t tempered and one can strip them if excess torque is applied. By this time, I also started experimenting with various stances. I attempted artillery hold and tried various postures. But throughout the afternoon, I couldn’t find any comfortable and stable stance. My leading hand(left) kept shaking minutely. Even though, at one point, I managed to put four pellets in the bull’s eye, I must say that my shots had no control and my stance lacked stability.

By the time I was done with my tenth batch of thirty shots, it was getting dark and my leading shoulder was sore. And my last spread of today was no better than my first one. I feel it is going to be a long journey from spreads to close groups.
Be sure that next 500 shots you are going to hit everywhere except centre :mrgreen: .

Basu

Is it because the spring looses some power? If this is the case, then the whole preference for Artemis for being powerful is rendered moot, doesn’t it?

I watched a video on YouTube by a certain Mr. Gaylord (yes, it’s his real name :D ) of PyramydAir. He said that applying black tar/open gearbox grease on the outside of the spring reduces some vibrations and hence improves accuracy. Is it true?

What do you think is the best pellet for Artemis in terms of accuracy?

I also chanced upon your review video of SDB Gennex on YouTube. Pardon me, I am new to the AR scene, but, you must be a big deal in AR shooting, for, SDB to invite you to review their new AR.

I shot three more batches of 30 shots each in the evening. I have tried to score myself on these. Please let me know whether my scoring system is correct.
I need to improve strength in my left from deltoid to improve my lead hand stability. I believe that this factor, more than anything else, is hampering my accuracy.

Here are the pics.
23C9755C-2EBE-4424-8EE4-6C6033FD4312.jpeg
476B051F-2DDF-4008-8ECE-8C1881B832E8.jpeg
DEEFAF15-C8AE-4200-8336-2B889202086A.jpeg
This post just got approved. All three pictures appear distorted. Also, they are rotated anti-clockwise by 90 degrees. I don’t know why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anupam Goswami on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Vimalkarur wrote:Pellet catcher looks nice and compact. But using plywood as back stop is not advisable for safety reasons. While shooting scattered shoot it won't be a problem. If you start shooting at a single point it will make a hole through the plywood. So place a steal plate cut in the size of the cardboard. Place the steel plate first and fill the cardboard before it. So even if the pellets go through the cardboard, it will be stopped by the steel plate.

I will rectify it soon.
Thank you for pointing it out.

Vimalkarur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vimalkarur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 am

Anupam Goswami wrote:
Vimalkarur wrote:What is the distance between you and the target. If this is a 25 mt target, it is ok if you are a new shooter. But you need to do a lot of practice. First try resting the gun and shoot less than 1" group at 10 yards, And move to 25 yards. This will improve your confidence and show you the real capacity of your weapon. Then you can try standing freehand shooting.

Also try different pellets, because each barrel likes particular pellet. Do some experiment and find the ideal pellet for your gun.

The distance is 40 feet.
I am trying to improve.

Which pellet in your opinion, suits best with Artemis?
I didn't own a SDB, so I can't give you any cheatsheet. Try some stranded pellets like gsmith, precipell. If you didn't get desired results go for imported pellets like gamo, jsb, h&n. Also try different weights of pellets from lighter to heavier. Buy one box per pellet in smallest package available. Or if you don't want to do the above process. Just wait and see if anyone having the gun respond.

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am

Oh hooo I thought you shoot with shotgun

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am

vast wrote:Oh hooo I thought you shoot with shotgun
:)

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Anupam Goswami wrote:
Basu wrote:

Basu

Is it because the spring looses some power? If this is the case, then the whole preference for Artemis for being powerful is rendered moot, doesn’t it?

I watched a video on YouTube by a certain Mr. Gaylord (yes, it’s his real name :D ) of PyramydAir. He said that applying black tar/open gearbox grease on the outside of the spring reduces some vibrations and hence improves accuracy. Is it true?

What do you think is the best pellet for Artemis in terms of accuracy?

I also chanced upon your review video of SDB Gennex on YouTube. Pardon me, I am new to the AR scene, but, you must be a big deal in AR shooting, for, SDB to invite you to review their new AR.

I shot three more batches of 30 shots each in the evening. I have tried to score myself on these. Please let me know whether my scoring system is correct.
I need to improve strength in my left from deltoid to improve my lead hand stability. I believe that this factor, more than anything else, is hampering my accuracy.

Here are the pics.
23C9755C-2EBE-4424-8EE4-6C6033FD4312.jpeg
476B051F-2DDF-4008-8ECE-8C1881B832E8.jpeg
DEEFAF15-C8AE-4200-8336-2B889202086A.jpeg

This post just got approved. All three pictures appear distorted. Also, they are rotated anti-clockwise by 90 degrees. I don’t know why.
Spring needs to bed properly with internal set up so as to give better grouping.
This AR is probably delivering close to 14 fpe. That is real quick.
The initial 500-600 shots are used to tame the spring and gun to settle.
Hope you are using artillery hold.
You really have to be patient to get a better group.
At 14 fpe, hold sensitivity is quite high.
I get almost hole in hole at 10 mtrs with GenNex when I use Precipell FH 8 gms.You may try that.
Tightness of side screws are very very important and tighten all three screws max with 8" screw driver.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm

My spreads have improved again today.
I used captainshot FH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vimalkarur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vimalkarur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Like Mr basu fire 500 shots. Because every barrel need some time to break and settle.

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am

Most of our Indian pellets are light weight and gives less accuracy in a powerful springer. Use only the tight fitting pellets.Try precipel pellets, they are good and will fit tightly in most of the indian rifles.Tight your stock screws.Adjust for trigger pull by turning clockwise to reduce the pull weight.But there is no need to clean the barrel.Check the breach seal for any leakage in compression.Check for any play in the front and rear sight.This much spread is not acceptable even for a new rifle. Your pellets maybe the culprit.Because SDB is famous for its accuracy also.
With regards,
vsraja

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 pm

vsraja wrote:Most of our Indian pellets are light weight and gives less accuracy in a powerful springer. Use only the tight fitting pellets.Try precipel pellets, they are good and will fit tightly in most of the indian rifles.Tight your stock screws.Adjust for trigger pull by turning clockwise to reduce the pull weight.But there is no need to clean the barrel.Check the breach seal for any leakage in compression.Check for any play in the front and rear sight.This much spread is not acceptable even for a new rifle. Your pellets maybe the culprit.Because SDB is famous for its accuracy also.

Thank you for your input.
I have ordered Precipell FH from their website.

Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do :)

Maroon_d3vil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Maroon_d3vil » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Hello,

Congrats for the new beauty! SDB artemis is said to be one of the most powerful Indian springer AR. Would recommend precipell and G-smith pellets for most of the Indian ARs. They perform outstanding. Diana and JSB will also do well if you prefer to use imported pellet. And yes nice pellet catcher!

Regards,
Maroon_d3vil
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun". -- The Dalai Lama

Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Anupam Goswami » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Maroon_d3vil wrote:Hello,

Congrats for the new beauty! SDB artemis is said to be one of the most powerful Indian springer AR. Would recommend precipell and G-smith pellets for most of the Indian ARs. They perform outstanding. Diana and JSB will also do well if you prefer to use imported pellet. And yes nice pellet catcher!

Regards,
Maroon_d3vil
Thank you.

I have already put down the order for Precipell FH. I couldn’t find Gsmith. I will look for it again.

Maroon_d3vil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Maroon_d3vil » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:24 pm

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun". -- The Dalai Lama