Hammerli AP20 Pro Review

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Hammerli AP20 Pro Review

Post by nmondal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Dear All,
Almost nowhere we do have a review of this "entry level" gun.
The other thread is at target talk.
As far as I know only 2 guys are talking about this in India, one of them is yours truly.
So, I thought that we should talk about it.
Given I am creating this thread, let me go first at it.

=== The review ===
Price:
80,500 including GST. Nearest competition is 1.18L LP2, and next (evo 10) is 100% of that margin away, at 1.53L.
It is incredibly cheap.

Looks:
It sure looks like cheap. I mean it obviously does.
Literally looks like a toy, with multi coloured barrel sleeves. I used grey, pink, and finally settled at orange.

Weight:
At 1 kg, it is medium, not really light, and not heavy. While it is lighter than morinis, and pardinis,
it is way heavier than it's first cousin LP 500, all of them. It has advantage and disadvantages.

Sights:
Incredible. I am cross eyed, my dominant eye is left while I shoot with right eye. ONLY this gun allows you to take the sight to the rearest of rear, and that literally grants you incredible accuracy. Unlike others both the height and side adjustments can be done by hand, instead of screw drivers. One can also adjust the gap between the rear sight.
The adjustments you can do is out of the world.
You have to rotate 8 times the screws to take you out of a ring to the next. Incredible accuracy of adjustments.

Trigger:
World class trigger, and adjustments. You can practically make it go any way, any direction, and move it up and down and forward and backward. Did I mention you can height adjust it? You can.
Feels incredible, but not at per with Steyr. The feeling of AP 20 trigger is different.

Grip: M Grip.
Almost Perfectly fit in, and somehow my hand adjusted with it. I can and actually change holding position in a match situation! Funnily, it does not change accuracy of the shots. Again, given I am cross eyed, I shoot with forward facing stance - not with a side stance.

Recoil:
If you have the right grip, it does not feel at all. At all. If you do not have right grip it moves, but, no loss of accuracy. Not sure how did they do it, I am seeing for a week now.
Happened at least 10 times, and 8 times I did get a 10, 2 times 9.

Accuracy:
Dead accurate. We did 2 tests - ( because I was shooting leftish - cross eye remember ) to fix it, once with support. The group size was less than 8mm, and trust me - it was preciholes precipel pellets, not this gun.
Walther claims it is 6mm group size.
Honestly, If I take time to shoot and relaxed, I can see pellets goes inside the same hole 2 times.

Caution:
If you are taking a good shot, it does it beautifully. But, if you are doing a bad shot, hand trembling and so on and so forth, it will give you pathetic shots. I firmly believe, for competitive shooting "practice & learn" it is ideal. And this is universal for every match pistol of walther, they amplify your accuracy and your errors.

It is important to end with customary images, which are here.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Final Verdict.
If you are starting serious competitive shooting, then there is NO gun that beats it.
I received this Sat Jul 13, 2019 - and today is 30 July, 2019.
My score today is 356/400 ( non decimal ).
Last 4 days I was in 349 zone.
I do not see what would have been better with a gun 2 times price of this.
It is not entry level. At all. I can safely tell you I am getting scores at per with people using morini and pardini.

And finally, yesterday and todays score :

For Advertising mail webmaster
sagar 12345
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Hammerli AP20 Pro Review

Post by sagar 12345 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:33 pm

thank you for such a nice reviwe. tell me how you fill cylinder i am using scuba tank & looking for hand pump that can fill it to 200 bar. please suggest me if you find such hand pump which accepts din adaptor which comes with this pisol.

sniper2014
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper2014 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm

nmondal wrote:Dear All,
Almost nowhere we do have a review of this "entry level" gun.
The other thread is at target talk.
As far as I know only 2 guys are talking about this in India, one of them is yours truly.
So, I thought that we should talk about it.
Given I am creating this thread, let me go first at it.

=== The review ===
Price:
80,500 including GST. Nearest competition is 1.18L LP2, and next (evo 10) is 100% of that margin away, at 1.53L.
It is incredibly cheap.

Looks:
It sure looks like cheap. I mean it obviously does.
Literally looks like a toy, with multi coloured barrel sleeves. I used grey, pink, and finally settled at orange.

Weight:
At 1 kg, it is medium, not really light, and not heavy. While it is lighter than morinis, and pardinis,
it is way heavier than it's first cousin LP 500, all of them. It has advantage and disadvantages.

Sights:
Incredible. I am cross eyed, my dominant eye is left while I shoot with right eye. ONLY this gun allows you to take the sight to the rearest of rear, and that literally grants you incredible accuracy. Unlike others both the height and side adjustments can be done by hand, instead of screw drivers. One can also adjust the gap between the rear sight.
The adjustments you can do is out of the world.
You have to rotate 8 times the screws to take you out of a ring to the next. Incredible accuracy of adjustments.

Trigger:
World class trigger, and adjustments. You can practically make it go any way, any direction, and move it up and down and forward and backward. Did I mention you can height adjust it? You can.
Feels incredible, but not at per with Steyr. The feeling of AP 20 trigger is different.

Grip: M Grip.
Almost Perfectly fit in, and somehow my hand adjusted with it. I can and actually change holding position in a match situation! Funnily, it does not change accuracy of the shots. Again, given I am cross eyed, I shoot with forward facing stance - not with a side stance.

Recoil:
If you have the right grip, it does not feel at all. At all. If you do not have right grip it moves, but, no loss of accuracy. Not sure how did they do it, I am seeing for a week now.
Happened at least 10 times, and 8 times I did get a 10, 2 times 9.

Accuracy:
Dead accurate. We did 2 tests - ( because I was shooting leftish - cross eye remember ) to fix it, once with support. The group size was less than 8mm, and trust me - it was preciholes precipel pellets, not this gun.
Walther claims it is 6mm group size.
Honestly, If I take time to shoot and relaxed, I can see pellets goes inside the same hole 2 times.

Caution:
If you are taking a good shot, it does it beautifully. But, if you are doing a bad shot, hand trembling and so on and so forth, it will give you pathetic shots. I firmly believe, for competitive shooting "practice & learn" it is ideal. And this is universal for every match pistol of walther, they amplify your accuracy and your errors.

It is important to end with customary images, which are here.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Final Verdict.
If you are starting serious competitive shooting, then there is NO gun that beats it.
I received this Sat Jul 13, 2019 - and today is 30 July, 2019.
My score today is 356/400 ( non decimal ).
Last 4 days I was in 349 zone.
I do not see what would have been better with a gun 2 times price of this.
It is not entry level. At all. I can safely tell you I am getting scores at per with people using morini and pardini.

And finally, yesterday and todays score :
Thanks a lot Mr N Mondal for your superb review of a truly pro level but under-rated pcp air pistol available in India.
Many budding air pistol shooters are forced to stretch their budget to get a competition level air-pistol from more popular but costly international brands, as there is unfortunately no indian item available yet. Your topic will surely benefit them.
Best of luck. Do keep posting your progress with more pictures.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:17 am

Excellent review , I am tempted to get one !
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nmondal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:24 pm

sagar 12345 wrote:thank you for such a nice reviwe. tell me how you fill cylinder i am using scuba tank & looking for hand pump that can fill it to 200 bar. please suggest me if you find such hand pump which accepts din adaptor which comes with this pisol.
I fill it up in Range. I go to SATS and fill up. I also ordered extra cylinder, that costed 15K. I do not know about hand pumps, figured out w/o the water/oil/ collector, they will kill your gun. See here. https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/war ... air-rifle/

Added in 6 minutes 39 seconds:
captrakshitsharma wrote:Excellent review , I am tempted to get one !
Please do.
I can tell you will be surprised. World is filled up with marketing gimmick, not that Walther does not do it, they very well do -- look at the branding on the LP 500 -- but, they are producing excellent pistols.
It is just that the top shooters are one of : Steyr, Morini, Pardini, so that everyone follows suite.
Today my score came 348 ( my first 10 shots were poor ) and I can tell you until you reach 390s on a card, you do not need to change the gun.
Even after the match frenzy was over ( 50 mins 40 shots I took on 20 cards ) - I experimented with relaxing and shooting proper shots.
2 out of 2 were bulls eye, 10.5+ shots.
My Instructor is a Steyr person, and advised me against it, and finally agreed to me buying the "Pro" version, not the Basic one, but even he is surprised too! He asked me for the price and all.
I won't be surprised if people take it to nationals and even international shooting.
Relax, devoid of thinking, aim, shoot. You will get 10+, every time in this.

Added in 14 minutes 5 seconds:
sniper2014 wrote:
nmondal wrote:Dear All,
Thanks a lot Mr N Mondal for your superb review of a truly pro level but under-rated pcp air pistol available in India.
Many budding air pistol shooters are forced to stretch their budget to get a competition level air-pistol from more popular but costly international brands, as there is unfortunately no indian item available yet. Your topic will surely benefit them.
Best of luck. Do keep posting your progress with more pictures.

Thanks for the kind words, I am doing my duty to the community. We all have something to give back, so here I am. I would appreciate if people start buying these little gems - which does not create a massive hole in People's pockets, even w/o knowing if they are good at something or not.

I regularly see people who invested 2L inr, to buy top level Morini's and 1.5L Steyr, and even after 3 years they are not scoring 350 regularly. I always have been sort of experiment, verify, then proceed.
My own counsel was to buy the https://www.air-arms.co.uk/alfa-pistol.html but, Kiehberg was late to respond.
Another problem, was lack of pressure indicator for Alfa, same with AP 20 ( the non pro version ).
Hence, it was the minimal one, and I can sense myself shooting at least 10 more months with it. 390 are not that easy in 40 shot, card.
If that does not happen, there is no point further taking it off. :stupid:

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nmondal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Guys, I literally blew my chance to have a place in south zone meet.
My state championship score today is 342, exactly 3 away from 345 which is a cutoff.
:cry:
My last 3 shots were all 7. Worse, I have two 6es and one 5.
I literally blew it today.
Just thought of sharing this.
It was, evidently, a pretty bad day.

sniper2014
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper2014 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:57 pm

nmondal wrote:Guys, I literally blew my chance to have a place in south zone meet.
My state championship score today is 342, exactly 3 away from 345 which is a cutoff.
:cry:
My last 3 shots were all 7. Worse, I have two 6es and one 5.
I literally blew it today.
Just thought of sharing this.
It was, evidently, a pretty bad day.
Never mind Mr Mondal. Relax, take a deep breath and start again. Keep practicing, and u will qualify for the Nationals[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nmondal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:51 am

Here is the final ranking.
24th out of 33.
Not a pretty sight, evidently.

Maroon_d3vil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Maroon_d3vil » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:11 am

Nice and detailed review. And cheers for the beginning! :cheers: Many more to come. :wink:

Regards,
Maroon_d3vil
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun". -- The Dalai Lama

sagar 12345
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sagar 12345 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am

nmodal sir dont get upset keep practising. i am also practice with pro or about four months due to costruction of my home i cant use 10 meter space but then also i am practising at 8 meter uneven range & my score is about 80 per 10 shot once construction of my home is complete i am planning o making a 10 meter range at home & then i will do regular practice. this pistol is very nice & try to fill grip with mseal .due to loose grip some times shots goes to 5 or 6.keep updating.

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Practice results

Post by nmondal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:55 pm

All,
As requested, I kept on updating my results.
I found out there are main 3 reasons the shots are going haywire:
1. Changing grip ( almost fixed )
2. Cylindrical Power in the right eye ( new specs are in order )
3. While the shot happens - I am flinching.
4. Hand shaking while release - due to [1].

For [3] I tried using ear phone - and the result is reasonable, very reasonable.

That is : 3 X 8 + 9 + 6 X 10 = 93

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post Spec and Adjustment

Post by nmondal » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:02 pm

This is the latest.
Post Spec and post height adjustment.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Very good progress. Well done.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Crossed 9 on Avg today

Post by nmondal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Guys, post trigger adjustment ( again ) and earplug...
Total is 361.
Long way from there to 385.

nmondal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Highest Scoring Series Ever

Post by nmondal » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Guys, today I have 96/100 my highest score ever in Series 2.
Attached are the images.
My Instructor is mighty pleased - saying - great gun. I asked him when I need to change the gun - he said : "No need, if you have more money give me, this is working perfectly - no need to give other people".

Only observation he is having is due to grip problem ( I might need a Size S for Walther ) the less than 90 scores are coming.
I will ask him to adjust it for me to make it small and then will see, till then -- more shooting!