A review of SDB Xena

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: A review of SDB Xena

Post by sam 47 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:58 pm

I know the question is for Basuda , but since I have the rifle for 4 years now I am taking the liberty to answer.
The barrel falls free when tapped because there is some gap between the end of the cocking lever and the end of the piston slot. It is a safety margin to prevent the piston from slamming the cocking lever at the end of the shot cycle.
After cocking , the barrel should be free to move freely, and as the gun breaks in it becomes completely free to fall. The barrel should be only as tight to prevent lateral movement when its locked in the straight position. Extra tightness will only cause extra cocking effort and grinding at the joint. Putting shims might cause adverse changes in accuracy and poi ( unless they are airgun specific pivot washers.)
For spring rattling noise, the cocking slot can be deburred, and the head of the cocking lever can be polished. After the application of PH moly to the cocking slot and the head of the lever , it becomes very smooth while closing. For ultimate smoothness, if there is room in the piston , a sleeve of ptfe sheet or Xray film can be placed around the spring. If done properly, the sleeve stays in place for a long time, atleast for the life of the spring, else the cocking lever can tear apart the sleeve.
"Aim small, miss small."

For Advertising mail webmaster
dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dalvipravin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi Sam ,

Ideally the barrel should not fall free after cocked . I also have one .22 she might be SDB old model but the barrel is smooth in action no rattle or rubbing on spring as you try to lock it back. I just rebuilt her and she's and was very smooth in cocking cycle .

The barrel should be giving just a little resistance as you lock it back up , just if you leave the barrel it should not fall immediately like a lose rock falling down but should go down slowly .

Weihrauch does put shims at both side at breach joint and I think NX200 also does have them.

Cocking arm deburr is what I will try to reduce the rubbing sound ....

Cheers
Pravin

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Pravin,
The shims are there to reduce friction, not to keep the barrel in tension. When the gun is cocked , the only thing keeping the barrel from falling under it's own weight is friction. I have had 3 quality ARs , NX100, Artemis & Xena. In all of them initially the barrel remained in place after cocking , but as the guns broke in and friction reduced, they fell with their own weight ,freely. To increase resistance in barrel movement like you suggest , one would have to the friction in the pivot or in the cocking slot. Is it the best idea to increase friction in some of the major moving parts? IMHO, if the gun is shooting accurately then why bother with screw tightness. If you want to put shims , put the ones used in airguns, PH ones just might fit in.
"Aim small, miss small."

dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dalvipravin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:23 am

Hi Sam ,

It's individual perception I guess. For me just hitting the target is not enough but the experience of entire shot cycle is important as well right from breaking the barrel , cocking the rifle , loading pellet ,locking the barrel , shouldering the gun , alignment , squeezing the triger and folow through .

Everything is important and the feel the rifle gives in each step ,the sounds the makes , the extra or less ...the jerk I get all comes in the experience.

And if any one of that is not just right I kind of get annoyed 😃

I will try PH shims though thanks for pointing them out.

Cheers,
Pravin

SamGunlover
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by SamGunlover » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:35 pm

I have a few questions if any seniors can help me that would be great.

1. What is the max output of sdb Xena in lbs?
2. Can Xena shoot slugs? If yes, which grain?
And most importantly, 3. Which are the best pellets for Xena, brand and grains?

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:34 pm

Dear Sam,

I will try to give answers within my limitations.

I own Gennexpro but I used few Xena.

Xena is essentially a 13.5 to 14 ft lbs AR but capable to deliver near 15 ft lbs.

Xena can shoot slugs of Gsmith but power output goes down drastically.

It goes well with Gmith P10 , Precipell.
Among imported JSB , RWS , H & N do well.

You need to understand each barrel has its own likings of pellets that you need to take the call having used a few & infer.
Hope I could answer your question.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

SamGunlover
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by SamGunlover » Mon May 08, 2023 3:04 am

Dear Basu da,

Thank you for replying ☺️

1. I was waiting for a reply from here, as I don't have any other guidance, but impatient me, I have already ordered gsmith 10grain and 8.something grain, Apollo 9 grain hollow points, and Rifle 13 grains along with some 100mm target sheets. Hope that didn't go too wrong, yet to receive.

2. I have cleared a 12 yards space at my rooftop, and I was shooting this morning with the United shot(grain unknown) pellets that I picked up with the Xena. I was able to get a group of nearly 2.5 inch dia(I am a complete beginner, touching a pro airgun for a first time)after trying 50 shots approx. The rifle is nearly 80 shots old now.

This was the update till now, I feel the rifle can shoot even further as it shoots through an old carrom board and then a half inch hard plywood placed behind. If you can suggest a scope that would be great. Do I need an expert to set a scope or I can do that myself?

Thanks again,

Samrat.