License to purchase a 0.22 air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

License to purchase a 0.22 air rifle

Post by arbind » Tue May 18, 2021 5:42 pm

Are 0.22 air rifles still sold in India, and if so, does one need to apply for an Arms license to own one?
Thanks!
Arb.

For Advertising mail webmaster
PRINCESIDHU007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: License to purchase a 0.22 air rifle

Post by PRINCESIDHU007 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Yes, apply arms license.

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Wed May 19, 2021 3:20 am

arbind wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:42 pm
Are 0.22 air rifles still sold in India, and if so, does one need to apply for an Arms license to own one?
Thanks!
Arb.
i don't think they are sold new now and definitely you dont need a arms license suppose, but if you have a friend who s selling t to you then you can buy and get a declaration of possession without mentioning the latest purchase from the concerned authority its the thasildar i think, not sure correct me if im wrong

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed May 19, 2021 4:40 am

I am afraid that you are quite wrong:
mundaire wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:06 pm
sourabhsangale wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 am
Actual notification never came from licensing authority for the weapons purchased before 2016 so it would be better to ask the license authority about that but i am sure they will not be able to answer the question .
That's not true, the Arms Rules 2016 were notified via the official Government of India Gazette, as is the usual practice. The Government is not liable to do any more than that while enacting new rules/ laws.

It is incumbent on all affected parties to make themselves aware of the law and how it affects them, Thus, pleading ignorance, or that "no one told me", will be less than useless, if and when one is to be prosecuted.

As of today, any air gun/ air pistol/ air rifle, with calibre exceeding .177 requires an arms license.

Whether this rule makes any sense or not is immaterial.

Cheers!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:06 pm

Am sure there were plenty of .22 AR owners in this group prior to 2016, Who would have been in trouble followed by the enforcement of this new law. What did all of them do about this?
Did they all apply for Arms license OR
Did they all let go of their .22s?

Is replacing the barrel of the .22 with a .177 be practical?

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:38 pm

I personally discuss with local PS in 2019 and they clearly said that they do not have any information to take the deposit of .22 AR.
Pellets are little difficult to get now a days though I have few thousands in my stock.
I already given a letter mentioned my purchase date and model to Local PS.
Regards

Shivaji

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:38 pm
I personally discuss with local PS in 2019 and they clearly said that they do not have any information to take the deposit of .22 AR.
Pellets are little difficult to get now a days though I have few thousands in my stock.
Oh, Even after declaring the possession of a .22 Air Rifle at the police station they did not take that into custody? I thought they would do that considering it being treated as a "Firearm" as per the new law.
Would it be safe to take it out or shoot in closed/ private compound? Some annoyed neighbors can make some trouble I believe. Do you shoot the .22 these days? Good that you have hoarded up some pellets :lol:

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Ultimate Sniper wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Oh, Even after declaring the possession of a .22 Air Rifle at the police station they did not take that into custody? I thought they would do that considering it being treated as a "Firearm" as per the new law.
Would it be safe to take it out or shoot in closed/ private compound? Some annoyed neighbors can make some trouble I believe. Do you shoot the .22 these days? Good that you have hoarded up some pellets :lol:
As I never shot in residential area so not faced any troubles yet. Mainly do pest control with .22. And that too is in farm areas far from locality.
I have used .177 from few of my friends but to my view, it's ineffective for my purpose.
I try not to use the .22 now to avoid any unnecessary trouble. I am using conventional weapons rather..😀😀
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm

IMG_20210818_152445.jpg
Today while cleaning some old cabinet I got a can of old .22 and .177 pellets and .177 BB. Badly oxydised. .177s were for one of my co2 pistol which later on I have sale out to my friend as it is of no use except plinking.
Some .22 i have modified with 1/2 inch nails glued at the tip of pellets. Effective in short distance for pest control but not effective after 20 yards as it changes trajectory and go down wards due to additional weight.
IMG_20210818_153902.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm
IMG_20210818_152445.jpg
Some .22 i have modified with 1/2 inch nails glued at the tip of pellets. Effective in short distance for pest control but not effective after 20 yards as it changes trajectory and go down wards due to additional weight.
I don't think the extra attachment would be of much help anyway, with the rifling and pellet twist, the projectile would go off balance and would not only hit low but can go anywhere in the close range of the intended target. Not a great or safe idea in my opinion.
From the picture its clear that the attached pin is off centered and could cause more damage than any good, even to the rifling of your gun. Also the glue may not be tough enough to hold both the components in such high pressure and energy.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Yes right you are. The nail is off centre as it's more than 25 yes old😁😁. I fixed this with Araldrite and some time with solder but it's always go down wards due to extra weight.
SDB 25 is a pretty tough AR so it's perfect till now.
Regards

Shivaji

PRINCESIDHU007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

How to Change Category of Arms Licence from Individual to Sports ??

Post by PRINCESIDHU007 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:36 pm

I want to change category of my Arms license ,from Individual to Sports. Someone please help me.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to Change Category of Arms Licence from Individual to Sports ??

Post by Vineet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:51 pm

PRINCESIDHU007 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:36 pm
I want to change category of my Arms license ,from Individual to Sports. Someone please help me.
Different procedures are followed in different states so if you can mention your state then there are chances of getting better suggestions.

In Punjab if you need to change category from individual to sports then you will have to get your current license cancelled and apply again under sports category.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.