Used a 32 grain hollow point slug in a SX100 Orion

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Used a 32 grain hollow point slug in a SX100 Orion

Post by arbind » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi all,
I bought 2 tins of 26 grain and 32 grain locally made hollow points.

I had a hard time seating it properly in the breech.
When i fired the rifle, i was aiming at a paper target from around 12 yards and i found that it didn't hit even the paper.

It hit about 5 inches below the paper target and was hitting slightly to the left(by around 3 inches).

Would it be that the slugs are made improperly?

Though it looks like a locally made slug(somewhere in India), the finish is just about acceptable though not perfect.

But Though the AR puts out only 16 joules, it hit the wall below the paper target with an unheard of loud thump. I went over and saw the point of impact and was really taken aback at the significantly deep gouge in the wall.

With JSB 15 grains, it would just about make a mark on the wall, which could be discerned.

Now I'll have to try again with the 32 gr.tomorrow to see if it hits consistently at the same mark it made on the wall.

And also try out the 26 gr. slug and see if it hits better than the 32 gr.

I would love to use both the slugs in the Armada, but i don't know if it would screw up the rifle.

Your thoughts,suggestions and comments please!
Arb

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Used a 32 grain hollow point slug in a SX100 Orion

Post by Rudransh » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:57 am

arbind wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 pm
Hi all,
I bought 2 tins of 26 grain and 32 grain locally made hollow points.

I had a hard time seating it properly in the breech.
When i fired the rifle, i was aiming at a paper target from around 12 yards and i found that it didn't hit even the paper.

It hit about 5 inches below the paper target and was hitting slightly to the left(by around 3 inches).

Would it be that the slugs are made improperly?

Though it looks like a locally made slug(somewhere in India), the finish is just about acceptable though not perfect.

But Though the AR puts out only 16 joules, it hit the wall below the paper target with an unheard of loud thump. I went over and saw the point of impact and was really taken aback at the significantly deep gouge in the wall.

With JSB 15 grains, it would just about make a mark on the wall, which could be discerned.

Now I'll have to try again with the 32 gr.tomorrow to see if it hits consistently at the same mark it made on the wall.

And also try out the 26 gr. slug and see if it hits better than the 32 gr.

I would love to use both the slugs in the Armada, but i don't know if it would screw up the rifle.

Your thoughts,suggestions and comments please!
Ha ha Don't get offended Dear if I pull ur leg later in my reply..

Using a 32 grains or 26 grain slugs in a breakbarrel that does hardly 11 fpe after settling is some serious time pass I must say..it must be going to target along with some tea and pee breaks..

Now let's get serious. A Springer or nitro piston works best with lighter pellet and pcp with heavier ones. Same sx100 will produce more KE with 12.6 grain pellet than 15.89 jsb because a Springer and nitro piston produces sane amount of airpuff with each shot but in pcp Javier pellets in pcp causes "Back pressure " on valve causing more air to pass pushing heavier pellet efficiently..(Talking about Non regulated pcps only) that's why a pcp with heavier pellet gives less shot count than a lighter pellet.

Secondly The pressure which was caused by a 32 grain slug to move further in barrel definitely put a lot of extra pressure on breach seals back to piston seal and also to main spring check if any of these three are gone or will be gone soon if u keep testing on.

By The Way I shoot some imported 32 grain Hollow points in my 70 fpe tuned condor outshoots anything up to 100 plus mtr .

Regards
Veerbhadra

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Well....it can be termed as pass time experiment :mrgreen: .
A springer barely delivers 10-11 fpe is too weak to push the slug.
You will run out of elevation dial.
Pellet weighing upto 15 gns is good enough to use to get better accuracy as it can negotiate better with breeze.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:03 pm

I own a springer. And use the standard .177 cal pellets. May a dozen shot a year. So there.
What comes to mind is- besides the regulation of the valves etc for pellets of a certain weight, is the barrel rate of twist also correct for a heavier pellet?
E.g., a 1:14 twist rate in a .223 wont regulate heavier bullet weights, and with the advent of 62 and 70 gr bullets for the .223 caliber, the manufacturers have kept pace by offering appropriate rate of twist like 1:8 etc.
Yup, a heavier projectile, even if slow , will pack a bigger wallop than a smaller, faster projectile.

A 700 gr lead projectile at 1800 fps /sec will knock any of the big 5 DG without any issue, compared to a hotshot 180 gr projectile at 3000 fps.
Thats why the big gouges on the wall with the 32 gr pellets. For safety why dont you fill up a cardboard carton with sandbags or cut up old tyres and pin your target on it? A ricochet is a ricochet!
A pic of the heavier pellets will be appreciated.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

snipeshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by snipeshot » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:35 pm

Hahaha .. you are not being fair with your AR, the maximum weight she can handle has to be under 12 gr to get the utmost accuracy.

snipeshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by snipeshot » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:42 pm

eljefe wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:03 pm
I own a springer. And use the standard .177 cal pellets. May a dozen shot a year. So there.
What comes to mind is- besides the regulation of the valves etc for pellets of a certain weight, is the barrel rate of twist also correct for a heavier pellet?
E.g., a 1:14 twist rate in a .223 wont regulate heavier bullet weights, and with the advent of 62 and 70 gr bullets for the .223 caliber, the manufacturers have kept pace by offering appropriate rate of twist like 1:8 etc.
Yup, a heavier projectile, even if slow , will pack a bigger wallop than a smaller, faster projectile.

A 700 gr lead projectile at 1800 fps /sec will knock any of the big 5 DG without any issue, compared to a hotshot 180 gr projectile at 3000 fps.
Thats why the big gouges on the wall with the 32 gr pellets. For safety why dont you fill up a cardboard carton with sandbags or cut up old tyres and pin your target on it? A ricochet is a ricochet!
Well, in this case,the twist rate and the length of the barrel can be accountable only if the gun has enough power to push the projectile, an overweight projectile will never give the groupings.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:19 pm

IF the power was regulated, twist rate would be a governing factor
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Used a 32 grain hollow point slug in a sx100-pics

Post by arbind » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:12 pm

eljefe wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi all and Elijfe,

32 grn, 26 grn, 18.13 grn and 14-15 grn 5.5mm pellet photo.

Appreciate your thinking aloud,all !

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arb

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi all,

I wrote earlier that i had a hard time seating the 32 grain slugs in the breech.
That was because of the diameter at the fag end of the slug being not a perfect circle.

So, i took a couple of the slugs to a grinding wheel and lightly polished it at the back end,and presto, they were fitting in all right...

It got dark by then and since i had decided to shoot quite a few of the 32 and also 26 grain slugs(both hollow points) after grinding the slightly rough edges, i thought I'd put it off to tomorrow morning.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results and keep you all posted!

Cheers,
Arb