Precihole Sports NX200

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Precihole Sports NX200

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:42 pm

I have been late to the gasram party because I have never quite trusted airgun powerplants that could leak. That said, I liked the firing cycle and the revised stock of the NX200 and decided to get one as a stop gap until the SX200 is available in a carbine length.

The rifle was ordered from Kovi Bazaar and it was delivered within 48 hours. Kudos to KB for a quick dispatch, good communication and equally good packing.

Rather than clean the bore, wipe down the action, threadlock the action screws (always use removeable threadlock such as Loctite 243) and start shooting, I decided to disassemble the rifle so as to degrease, clean, relube (with moly grease and moly oil) and assemble before testing it.

On disassembling the rifle I came across the following:
1) The piston had more grease on it than required though not excessively so.
2) There was a smear of moly grease on the piston seal face, which is unacceptable.
3) The piston seal had tiny nicks along a section of its outer edge. Tested it for compression and since it passed the test, I have retained it. No problem after 340 shots.
4) The inside rear of the cylinder exhibited signs of light oxidation. This was attended to.
5) There was some pretty sharp plastic flashing, from the injection molding process, towards the front of the stock’s cocking slot. This was carefully shaved off.
6) The stocks inletting has slots that could be filled with weights to increase the rifle’s weight or balance. Similarly, the hollow butt stock could be filled with construction foam and then inletted for further weights.
7) An extra breech block shim had slipped in at the factory. As a result, there were two breech shims on the RHS and one on the LHS. I have reassembled the rifle with the three shims in case there is a reason for it.
8 ) The rear trigger guard screw had been threadlocked but the front action screws were not. Instead, they were given lock washers. A misnomer because they did not stop the screws working loose. What’s more when I removed the stock after the 270th shot, I discovered that one of the lock washers had broken. I have discarded them and surprisingly have not noticed any movement of the screws. They have witness marks.
Weihrauch use the same system and they are just as ineffectual but they do not break.
The front trigger guard screw is a self-threading screw that screws into the stock and not the action. Given that the three action screws are of the Allen variety, it would have been more consistent had they used an Allen screw, rather than a Philips. Probably due to self threading screws not being available with Allen heads?
9) Whilst cleaning the bore, with a quality rod, I noticed that there was no additional resistance towards the muzzle and by this I can only deduce that Precihole Sports do not choke their barrels.

Barring the breech block pivot bolt, I have left out threadlocking the action screws because according to the owner’s leaflet, the piston is expected to leak some oil initially. I experienced more than the ‘little’ mentioned in the leaflet and brought it to Doc’s attention. He said he would check if they were overfilling the pistons at the factory. He did say it should settle within 300 to 400 shots. Since my run-in period is 2000 shots I am okay with that. I am currently at 340 shots and have noticed less oil leakage. I removed the stock after shot 270 and found oil pooled within the inletting.

I have put witness marks on the action screws but wont threadlock them until the 2000 shot mark or the oil stops leaking. Good thing they did not use a wooden stock.

Testing commenced with Precihole Sports' Preciell Field Target pellets and what a disappointment they have been. Not in terms of accuracy but pellet fit. They are a very tight fit in the breech and I had to resort to a pellet seater to seat them to a consistent depth each time.

A prime attraction for purchasing the NX200 was based on the assumption that the pellets from the same manufacturer would suit their rifles and pistols. The pellets being relatively inexpensive, well made and readily available make them excellent choices, if only they would seat easily. I dare say this excessive tightness in the breech robs them of velocity but this may have been done to compensate for the lack of a choke. Just guessing.

The breech seal would get partially unseated every time the barrel was broken. Thankfully, this irritant went away around the hundredth shot. Obviously due to the constant pushing in.

I have noticed a galling to the upper breech face and keep seeing very fine steel particles upon it. I have noticed the same on some NX200 YouTube videos. I also noticed a burr along the left edge of the breech face, which I have addressed.

Quality has improved since I bought my sons NX100s in 2012. With a little more attention to fit and finish, it can improve further and it must!

A few words about the trigger, as set by the factory. The manufacturer claims that it is a two stage trigger but I beg to differ. I guess it depends on one’s definition of a two stage trigger. That said, I like it.
The ‘first stage’ travel is a mere 1 or 1.5mm and then as pressure is gradually applied the sear is released. There is no creep whatsoever and the let-off pressure feels consistent shot after shot. If, like me, you set your triggers on the lighter side on your Weihrauchs, etc., the NX 200 trigger may feel heavier for the first shot or two but that is about all it takes to get familiar with it. The wide trigger blade helps as well.
If you must adjust the trigger, I suggest you put a witness mark at the 12 o’clock position on the adjuster set screw and then make adjustments in very small increments. If you feel the factory setting to be the best, then you have your witness mark as a guide.

Yesterday, I received a small selection of pellets and tested their fit in the breech last night. Refer the pics of the respective target cards for details.

Do not judge the accuracy potential of the rifle from the groups you see. I lost my ability to focus on the front sight after cataract surgery in 2009. What I see are ghost images of the front post. Sometimes the ghosting is severe, sometimes not. There is no springer rated scope at hand, so that option is out. Besides sighting errors, other shooting errors have also played their part in producing the fliers.

This post will be a work in progress, so keep checking back.

A list of what I'd like to see on future or revised models:
1) Precipell pellets that are a snug fit in the breech - neither tight nor loose.
2) Choke the barrels, so that we get an in-built pellet sizer.
3) Piston bearing rings on the piston, fore and aft, as found on Air Arms springers.
4) Provide a 'top hat' for the main-spring, on the springers.
5) A slightly wider stock and a comb without a very prominent ogive.
6) Recontour the grip, ever so slightly, so that those employing a thumb-up hold have better contact with more of the thumb's pad and not a point contact as exists at the moment.
7) A front globe sight like Weihrauch's with interchangeable inserts. Either as a standard fitment or an optional extra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Precihole Sports NX200

Post by Vikram » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm

Done with your usual thoroughness, Mack. I am sure our members will find this very useful. :cheers:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 pm

Vikram wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm
I am sure our members will find this very useful. :cheers:
I hope so. I have also kept doc in the loop and sent him a link to this thread.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Still shooting nice groups for someone who claims that he can't see that well.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm

dev wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Do you dispute its veracity? :shock: :mrgreen:

The next time my roguish circle of friends call me a blind (and deaf) old goat, I will refer the rascals to your post. Thank you! :mrgreen:

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:03 pm

Awesome review, really helpful.

Looking forward for more on this.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 pm

Dr. Shirsat, of Precihole Sports, called me this morning to discuss the points listed in the original post.

1) This one was via WhatsApp, so quoting it verbatim here.
"Pellet dies are standard. Your gun has a barrel which is at the tighter end of the production tolerance as per BIS and international standards. This is 40 microns. Normally we maintain within 10 microns at the midpoint. As there was a shortage of tooling, which takes 3 months to arrive after ordering (from overseas - my addition based on telecon), along with the problems of supply chain due to Covid, we had to allow the lower size, otherwise production would stop."

2) Precihole have choked barrels on their higher end products. However, these could be made available on their lower end products. A Custom Shop option?

3) He will have a look at the pics of the galling at the upper breech face and get back to me. He doesn't log in here and consequently could not see the attached pics.

4) I brought up the idea of them having a custom shop, which gives the buyer the option to opt for higher specification parts or optional extras and his reaction was quite positive.

5) There are strict instructions, at the factory, that there should be no grease on the piston seal face. A mistake was made in my case. The extra grease on the piston is to prevent corrosion. However, I do not think that much is required. The edge of the piston seal being ever so slightly nicked was also an error during assembly.

6) Regarding the mild oxidation found towards the rear of the cylinder; the cylinder is punched to make a slot for the sear. The ensuing burrs are removed with sandpaper and the inside of the cylinder is then oiled before being sent for bluing. They must have oiled my cylinder because the mild oxidation was limited to a small area, however, it may have been inadvertently wiped off during the production process.

7) Regarding the plastic flashing that was left behind, he will bring it to the manufacturer's attention and have them pay more attention in future.

8 ) Forgot to discuss the extra breech block shim.

9) All three action screws are meant to be threadlocked. There was a lapse in not applying removeable threadlock to my front action screws.

10) Doc's solution to stop the front breech seal from being partially unseated is to carefully remove the seal, degrease, apply a little rubber cement (such as Fevibond) and re-seat the seal. However, given that I was able to keep the seal seated after 100 shots by pushing it in place after every shot, I don't think the rubber cement route will be necessary.

11) Piston bearing rings may be a possibility in future. I believe they already button the rear of the piston used on their springers. I may have misheard.

12) The main-springs, for the springers, already use a 'top hat'.

13) A front globe sight with Weihrauch style interchangeable inserts is a definite possibility.

14) Self threading screws not available with an Allen head. Hence, the use of the Philips screw.

I think this covers all the points that I am permitted to post, the rest of the conversation being confidential.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:01 am

Mack The Knife wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm
dev wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Do you dispute its veracity? :shock: :mrgreen:

The next time my roguish circle of friends call me a blind (and deaf) old goat, I will refer the rascals to your post. Thank you! :mrgreen:

Blind-ok
Deaf-me too
Old- Roger
But,Goat??

Great review 👍🏻
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:36 pm

Learnt a new word G.O.A.T = Greatest of all time ROTFL
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

baggafx
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by baggafx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm

i have a question for Dr. Shirsat. Mack The Knife ask him for me plz i have 2 NX 200 rifles both rifle barrel are tight then my SX 100 rifle..your 40 microns thing was right...my both nx200 are not accepting some pellets like H&N copper pellets and Precihole Sports' Preciell Field Target pellets they are very tight and dont go inside.. but go in sx100 rifle barrel easily...
i Have tested my both nx 200 with crony they are giving max 12 FT LB ( company claim 15ft ) thats so poor..i have posted a new topic in which i have tested fps of many indian air rifles topic name ( REAL FPS of indian air rifles with crony )... so come to point ask dr.

i m ready to buy NEW PX 100 achilles pcp from there website..but i dont want 40 microns tight barrel i want standard size barrel with difference of 10 microns...also ask him does PX 100 give atleast 14.5 ft with any pellet..bcs there NX 200 are fail

Mrinmoy97
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Precihole Sports sx 200

Post by Mrinmoy97 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:01 pm

Sir I just bought Precihole sx200 from a website Rs 11500 and Rs1000 for 500 pellets. My question is that Did i paid more or less. And is it a good rifle for a beginner. I am willing to join north Kolkata rifle club in future

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Precihole Sports sx 200

Post by Basu » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm

Mrinmoy97 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:01 pm
Sir I just bought Precihole sx200 from a website Rs 11500 and Rs1000 for 500 pellets. My question is that Did i paid more or less. And is it a good rifle for a beginner. I am willing to join north Kolkata rifle club in future
If it is SX200 as written by you then I am afraid it was not a good decision to join club shooting.
You should have chosen either NX200 club Elite or SDB Gennexpeo.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Mrinmoy97
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mrinmoy97 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 pm

Thanks for you advice sir i will remember it next time I buy nx 200. At present gonna try my luck with Sx200 as my first aid rifle.

rajitkg12
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajitkg12 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:49 am

Screw fitting issue are there on NX200 at forearm rest and near barrel break and old on earlier model SX100 screws near trigger these screw are unable to hold tight or still due to the higher power of the gun newbies might get frustrated by this I have a suggestions for this Which I have been following for long time when you get your new gun loosen up the screw and apply "Fevi Bond" a rubber based adhesive
On every screw and tighten the screws it will hold tight and protect the screws and washers without any damage and it is very easy to remove when it's required as it's not permanent and strong on metal.

Use it and thank me later

Warning: One thing you must remember it reacts with foams and paints and some times some kinds of plastics and fibers while applying on wood and camo coated gun stock take care not to spill on stock color may ripped off by this.

Its an effective solution on mettal fitting acts like a rubber washer which I have been using from long time sure try this and let us know your opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pandit-jii
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Pandit-jii » Sun May 28, 2023 1:12 am

I purchased NX200 too just got it yesterday and find that there's a semi circle galling on the top of breech seal just like in your picture. And dried up white grease maybe at breech area.
And yes I feel that pellets are lil tight fit in my barrel, when I tried to pull back pellets from the barrel with a plastic rod, I found lil deep grooves of rifling embedded on the pellet, on both precipell test pellets came with the gun and g&smith co amateur flat head. Should I be concerned or that's fine? The groves might in 10~20 micron range i believe, am not sure as am not an expert with micron thingy 😅