Does anybody have a GI Mod 65 Air-Rifle?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Does anybody have a GI Mod 65 Air-Rifle?

Post by Mo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:52 am

Hi Guys!

Ending my futile search for a decent Indian Air-Rifle (National) last month, I bought instead, a GI Mod 65 from Aim-Point in Bangalore. This was their most powerful rifle at the time.

After an initial cleaning session where I promptly removed the Toy Air-Rifle sticker and sighted it in, I decided to test it a bit. I have to admit that for 3.5k, The rifle feels good and seems to quite powerful.

So far I have been plinking only indoors at 30ft and I must say that the results are pretty good. I was able to manage 1-1.5" groups. Thats good accuracy. As for power, the pellet passed through both sides of a ~1/20cm thick tin can at 30 ft. It also shot effortlessly clean through a 160 pages notebook and flattened itself to 1/4th its height against the steel trap placed behind. That too was at 30ft. All shots were made using .22 Master Shot (pointed) pellets.

Shooting straight at a piece of tile at 30ft, the pellet would flower out and shatter into several bits.

Now where would that put the MV at? a Ballpark figure..

While oiling the gun to iron out the squeaks, I decided to induce a bit of dieseling out of sheer curiosity. So in went two drops of gun-oil down the port. Pumped a bit and decided to take a test shot. The loud report confirmed that the oil did was it was meant to. The pellet shot through the tin can, hit the trap behind, left a huge dent on it and shattered! Enough dieseling. I reckoned that with the severe increase in pressure, the local rifle would not stand up to it much. But it was still good to see that sort of power. But it shot all over the place for the next 20-30 shots before settling down again.

I'd say it was a bargain for 3.5k. But there's no rail for a scope. I may consider fitting one if it carries on performing this way.

Anybody else tried this brand? Any pointers?
Last edited by Mo on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Hiya Mo

Yeah I have that one too. Same one. Shot powerfully when I had bought it, and was accurate enough to please me. I get a max. 7 meter range from my hall to my bedroom and I could hit those small matchboxes (wax matches) abt 8 out of 10 times. And cough syrup bottle caps as well.

The power suddenly spiralled down so I went for a mainspring and washer change. Got it done at Bangalore Armoury. Power is fine now but worth nothing as there is nothing called accuracy now. Absolutely Unpredictable. With the same POA, the POI goes up, down, left, right .... anywhere.

Also, quite heavy and at 46" stem to stern, it is quite a handful. Too large for my stature.

Its cooling off its heels in a corner of my room now. Thats about it.
--------------
Regards
RT

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Does anybody have a GI Mod 65 Air-Rifle?

Post by Mo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:28 pm

hmmm.. so i can safely assume that investing further to get a scope rail fitted would just be a waste?

how long did it last before the power drop? you think it could be the dieseling that wore it off?

have u tried gsmith springs and washers? heard they're pretty good.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi Mo,
Have Installed a GSmith Spring and Washer In my IHP National Air Rifle........the products are good.
Regards,
Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 am

Hiya

It lasted about 3-4 months before I had to get the mainspring changed. Not much bothered abt the power but the accuracy ..........

Am wondering if its something wrong with the barrel .... maybe needs a clean-up. I have tried Marshals and Diana (Indian) pointed and the double ringed pellets. Both spray all over.

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Mo, you need to check this out.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=3098

I think there is some similarity in your gun and mine Big Bro, got it for 2800.

I have a gun Black Beauty which is far more powerfull and accurate its price 2500.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:07 am

@Vinayaka: Thanks for letting me know. How much of a power increase did you notice? Also what type of seal is this? synthetic parachute or leather? Have you tried cherokee springs? Bangalore Armoury has stock of these and swears by their power and qualtiy. But I'd rather go by a users word than a seller.

@RT: Did you try cleaning the barrel mate? How about different pellets? I just use local master shots and the accuracy is commendable. At least upto 10 metres the grouping is sub 1" I dont have a longer range to try out accuracy at further out distances.

@Kanwal: The Black Beauty looks cool man. How is quality of the nickel plating? Does it have a scope rail? Also you said the sound is good. Define good.. Think its dieseling? Or is it a nice lubed thump.

The Big Bro looks fairly similar to the GI except for the Thumbhole stock. It could be from the same factory.

How're the guns breaking in? Any finds?

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Mo,

Prior to Installing a Gsmith spring and washer in my IHP National 35 I had installed a Tasco spring primarily for enhnanced power .The Tasco spring was recomended to me by a gun enthusiast and dealer In Chennai.According to him the Tasco spring was made form Imported wire and tempered well.He had even chrono'd the Tasco spring with the 35.The spring packed a much harder punch than the original 35 spring but was very coarse.

The Gsmith spring Is more powerfull than the Tasco and smoother too.Their washer is made from good quality leather and the manufacturer recomends to use their washer with their spring.They also claim that the spring Is made from Imported wire with German machinery and requires a 500 shot taming to achieve maximum velocity.
I wrote to them regarding the expected MV and the reply I got was that the spring gives a range of 80 meters....dont know what excatly that is supposed to mean.
The spring costs INR160.00 and the washer INR60.00+postage form Pune.
The armourer who Installed the spring and washer for me thought that it was Imported stuff and was very impressed by the quality
I want to chrono the rifle but have not been able to get hold off some one with a chrono nearby.

I bought my National 35 and National air pistol form Bangalore Armoury and Its been quite some while now that he is recommending the cherokke products......heard they are ok but have no hands on experience.

Regards,

Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Mo,

Yes Black beauty is a powerhouse, makes a good shooting noise with tight fit pellet. I have tested its range upto 50Mts, it hits target within second of firing. Nickel plating is good and operations are smooth. I will be trying it with wad cutter pellets to check for grouping. It has a leather washer which I will be replacing very soon.

-Kanwal

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 am

@Vinayaka: Looks like the GSmith wins by Public Appeal. I've heard good things about the pellet quality being better than the rest of the Indian stuff and sounds like the spring and washer are following suit. Whom did you contact for the order? Mr.Kulkarni of Gunmark is not upto his word. Its been over a month now that he's promised to send me pics and details of the Gunmark 350 and I've called him several times since but to no avail. There's a new reason and a promise everytime. But no go. What do you suggest? What is the mode of payment?

Where did you get it installed from?

Kovi Armoury in Bangalore mentioned stocks arriving next week. If that happens then things'll be easier. Murtaza from Bangalore Armoury said that a fresh stock of IHP will be arriving in less than a week if things go as expected. Looking forward to that too.

@Kanwal: What's the impact at 50mts like?

Also, try this: Once you close the breech after cocking, break the barrel and see if the pellet skirt has bent. I've seen this happen with almost all the indian guns and is the same with my gun. This affects to wasted pressure as air escapes through the gap between the skirt and the barrel. What i do is, Once i insert the pellet, I push it in with an RCA plug. This pushes the pellet through to a perfectly smooth fit. Affects accuracy and velocity for the better.
Last edited by Mo on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:47 am

Hi Mo,

I recently placed a very small order with Gsmith and this Is the first time his response was very slack.
I have noticed that he is very quick to respond to more expensive queries and orders and very slack on the smaller orders.........Incidentally my first order was the model 35 spring and washer and I he had to be pestered to send It........so much that he didnt even bother to ask for the money he just sent the Items and I made the payment promptly soon after.
In my limited view gsmith,Pune seems to be the most/one of the most professional around In India and I am In ways a fan of their products.
Regarding their model 350 magnum the reply I recently got was that It is not available.

If you are Interested In a good Indian air rifle go in for a IHP National 35.......the original company spring claims a MV of 600 FPS making It a medium powered air rifle.......and the original company spring is very smooth giving a good accuracy and a decent trigger pull.
If you want power then replace the original spring and washer with the Gsmith ones but this makes the trigger pull a lot harder.

I got the spring and washer changed by a armourer In Mysore(probally 2nd or 3rd generation)

Regards,

Vinayaka

Ps:BTW whats an RCA plug?

Pss: Another way to go about contacting Mr.Prasad kulkarni Is email(I have only uswed this mode) confirm the prices+ postage of what you want and pay It Into his ICICI bank A/C or send him a MICR check payble at Pune,but I guess he prefers the ICICI mode.
-Chuck Norris

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply mate!

Can you send me the email id? Let me try that. I think the I know the reason why the reply is late. I'm assuming Prasad is the son that Mr.Kulkarni talks about. He recently had an accident and suffered injury to his head. Thats the reason that Mr.Kulkarni gave me for being late with the pictures and info. Apparently his son is the only one who uses the computer. Thats what the sales girl also told me.

Anyways, I'll buy a spring and washer just for the heck of it. I'd like to try it out. My gun already makes loads more power than the IHP. Both Bangalore Armoury and Aim Point confirmed this. And the trigger pull is already heavy. But I believe thats cause of the poor quality. However its a breeze to cock. Not sure if thats cause of my health or the spring! I've always found it easy to cock rifles, even the magnum ones. I've had the opportunity of toying with my friend's webley patriot and he was shocked at the ease with which i did it. I dont blame him. He's 5'6 and ~50kg. I'm shocked they sold him that gun! lol!

An RCA plug is the regular audio cable mate.. the one that comes in red/white or red/yellow/white etc. I'm sure you were confused cause i used it out of context.. lol.

Here's a link:

http://www.recess.co.uk/images/rca.jpg

Check my gallery for a pic of the bent pellet due to misfit.

@Moderators: Whats with the upload quota limit of 256KB. Is there a way to increase it? Or is it on a per post basis? Please advise.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Mo,

Email Id of Gsmith <[email protected]> &
<[email protected]>

Yes i guess the accident must be the cause of the delayed replys.........other wise they seem to be pretty decent.

Best

Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks bro.. I've emailed them.. Lets wait n see..

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Mo,

I have not checked how was the impact as target was a distant metal pole at 50mts, however the impact noise was clear enough to cheers me up.

Secondly it depends a lot on what type of pellets do you use ? you need to try diffrent type of pellets and see which one is the best suited for your rifle. Big Bro is well suited with "Master Shots" and where as Black Beauty is comfortable with little bigger/heavery pellet from "Heman".

Lose fit pellet will certainly waste the power.

RE: Gunmark => They have 2 models
250 @ 9K
350 @ 11K
Delivery : No Stock, 2-3 months Lead time.

-Kanwal