Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Guys!

My Crosman 1377 Classic .177 Pistol is dead!

It does not pump anymore. The lever just moves without any resistance. I contacted Crosman and they sent me a set of free washers (amazing service - the gun is 8 years old!).

I dont want to give up a pistol that I personally chronoed to find 578 to 617 fps depending on pellet.

But the issue is that, nobody can open it! I dont want to send it to Crosman and die at the customs with their formalities when I get it back! There are no bills or any papers whatsoever. Just the gun, pellets and some Copperheads.

A friend took it to kerala where a gunsmith promised that he can repair it in a jiffy as he was supposedly an expert on air-pistols. Little did I realise that the guy has laid his eyes on only local break barrel pistols and haven't heard of a crosman ever! I hate these guys who talk big when you're on the phone assuming that its just a gun and you're just a kid!

Anyways, my friend is getting it back next week in the same condition and I'm in need of advise!

Help!!

Mo.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Repair Crosman 1377 Classic in Bangalore?

Post by ebenezer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi Mo,

I too have the same problem. I have a .177 Crosman 357 CO2 air pistol which was completely dismantled by a cousin of mine. Some of the parts are missing. I tried to get it repaired everywhere but to no avail. Finally i stumbled upon Royal Gun House in NR Road. The man there promised to get it repaired within 15 days, but charged me 15K, which I thought wasn't worth. So i returned. May be you can try there, of course, without burning your pocket!
Ebenezer.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Check out the schematics for the 1377 -

http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/1377.htm

And the 357 -

http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/357.htm

If you have the right tools and a slightly mechanical bent of mind you should be able to do it yourself.

For the parts, best to order them from USA in stead of having someone fabricate them here at crazy prices!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the info Abhijeet. But how do I order? Can parts be imported? I don't have any idea about this. Please shed some light on this.
Ebenezer.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:54 pm

ebenezer";p="36494 wrote:Thanks a lot for the info Abhijeet. But how do I order? Can parts be imported? I don't have any idea about this. Please shed some light on this.
Ebenezer.
It really depends on the parts in question. If you are simply ordering O rings like Mo did, should not be a problem. Else you could have them delivered to a friend/ relative in USA and have them bring the parts over the next time they come.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks Abhijeet.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:14 pm

@mundaire: Hey Abhijeet! Thanks Bro. I have no qualms about dissassembling it. But the only catch is the tools for the job. I tried coaxing Crosman into it. But they dont sell tools and gave me another email. But that guy hasnt replied yet!! The screws cannot be removed without the right driver :-( Any idea where I can get one? Will somebody be able to fabricate the drivers if they're proprietory to Crosman. I dont think they are though. Else they wouldnt have given me the email..

@ebenezer: Write to crosman about your issue. They're probably the most ethical airgun company!! I'm happy about the free o-rings n I'm telling! However dont expect more expensive parts ;-)

Mo.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Mo, what type of screws are these? I am assuming they are not the usual flat head or Phillips types... are they allen (hexagon shaped) or torx (star shaped) screws? If so, keys for both allen and torx types are made in India and available all over the place.

While I have not had the opportunity to examine one of these air-pistols in person, I would seriously doubt that they use some one-off crossman specific screws... the economics simply don't add up.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:56 pm

By star do you mean something that looks like an asterisk?

The screws on the Crosman look like a square/diamond. Something like the McDonalds toys have. But there's only a couple of screws. But most of them are rivet like! The gun's put together in a really compact way. its like a tightly sealed pipe!! I will post a pic next week.

:-(

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Mo";p="36509 wrote: By star do you mean something that looks like an asterisk?
Yep
The screws on the Crosman look like a square/diamond. Something like the McDonalds toys have. But there's only a couple of screws. But most of them are rivet like! The gun's put together in a really compact way. its like a tightly sealed pipe!! I will post a pic next week.

:-(
By square/ diamond do you mean they would take hexagonal shaped keys? Those are called allen keys... most of the scope mounts also use those. I'm afraid my exposure to McDonalds toys has been very limited... growing up in India during the late 70's-80's meant we had a rather deprived childhood compared to the kids of today ;) :lol:

Look forward to the pix...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:09 pm

lol!! Nooo... Not Allen Keys!

I'm really sound when it comes to technical stuff!! Me and my friends built a hovercraft when we were 17! albeit a small one, it actually worked!! lol. so I know my screws!! :-)

These are actually tilted squares! when you tilt a square, you get something like a diamond right? I mean, take asquare and turn it 45 degrees. what do you get? These screws look like that...

I know about the deprived childhood. But trust me, that childhood is the one with better memories!! I used to cherish my visits to India. People are much more genuine hear. A kid here playing with a cycle tyre and a stick has more fun than somebosy with a radio controlled car!! (Excluded ICE Nitro stuff) lol.. I love those!
Last edited by Mo on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Mo";p="36482 wrote: Hi Guys!

My Crosman 1377 Classic .177 Pistol is dead!

It does not pump anymore. The lever just moves without any resistance. I contacted Crosman and they sent me a set of free washers (amazing service - the gun is 8 years old!).

I dont want to give up a pistol that I personally chronoed to find 578 to 617 fps depending on pellet.

But the issue is that, nobody can open it! I dont want to send it to Crosman and die at the customs with their formalities when I get it back! There are no bills or any papers whatsoever. Just the gun, pellets and some Copperheads.

A friend took it to kerala where a gunsmith promised that he can repair it in a jiffy as he was supposedly an expert on air-pistols. Little did I realise that the guy has laid his eyes on only local break barrel pistols and haven't heard of a crosman ever! I hate these guys who talk big when you're on the phone assuming that its just a gun and you're just a kid!

Anyways, my friend is getting it back next week in the same condition and I'm in need of advise!

Help!!

Mo.
ICAN

DO
IT

DEV
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Wow! Cool!

You have the tools!

Shall we meet up next week?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Mo, what you seem to have are a relatively uncommon type of screw head - called the Robertson aka square drive. Not sure if you will be able to get keys for this type in India, but it's well worth a try to check out some of the large hand tool stockists in your city.
I know about the deprived childhood. But trust me, that childhood is the one with better memories!!
Sure was... every boy worth his salt had an air-rifle in those days! Not like the wishy washy parents of today who look at you in horror even if you give your son a cap gun! :P Would be funny if it wasn't so sad... :roll:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:42 pm

HI! Try one of the socket tool sets - the small ones which come in those plastic boxes and invariably you will fing one that will fit - worked for me most of the times as these sets have a mix of inch and metric sizes along with various sockect types - hex , 8 sided and sloted. just Check and hope it solves your problem
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!